collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:20:05 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Yeltzer
[Today at 07:18:53 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Axl Rose
[Today at 07:14:14 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 07:11:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Taylor
[Today at 07:09:17 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs AFC Bournemouth Pre-Match Thread by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 07:08:36 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 07:07:14 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 07:04:46 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How do you feel about new season after O'Neill departure.  (Read 13868 times)

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
How do you feel about new season after O'Neill departure.
« on: August 11, 2010, 05:43:34 PM »
This is a poll to find out about our mood :) For fun.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: How do you feel about new season after O'Neill departure.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 05:50:11 PM »
Two and four are basically the same I'd have thought. I am option 5) waiting to see who the new manager is before deciding whether to be happy or depressed.

At the moment I'm feeling about this good [                                ]. About normal, a bit hungry but I don't blame O'Neill for that.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 05:52:41 PM »
I'm excited about new things.

Sure, it might not be for the better but I think at least I was getting very bored with how things were and whilst the previous incumbent did nothing wrong enough to lose his job I do think there was a need for change.

I never had that high an expectation for this series beforehand anyway.

That said whoever gets the job will have a big effect upon how that view changes.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 05:57:19 PM »
We have no manager, the list of favourites to take over do not fill me with confidence, we're about to lose our player of the season, we haven't addressed our goal scoring problem, we've got to cut the wage bill so the prospect of others leaving is very real, at the club it feels like we have the Tories austerity measures coming but I can't bloody wait for Saturday.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
I chose feeling negative and doomed because of the timing but i think i will stay positive.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 06:03:14 PM »
I'm actually quite excited, I was sick of O'neills brand of football and fed up with it, now  I feel like were at a bit of a crossroads, go one way Get a good manager in and start to play and bit.

Or go the other way, get a shit manager in Like southgate and i'll be upset then but either way im feeling optamistic at the moment.

im confident we'll get it right one way or another

Offline supertom

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 06:05:39 PM »
Here's the thing, I guess there's a sense of excitement (or is that dread? Not sure). Seriously, were we gonna do any better than 6th this season under Martin? No. In fact we'd have finished 7th at best IMO. Do we really care that much about being the 6th or 7th best team in the country? For me? Not particularly. It gets boring, especially after 3 years of being good, but not good enough.

If a new guy comes in and we finish 10th, so be it. At least we'll have (or I hope) a change of approach, and style. We might see a few more surprise players come our way, a few unheards of's, as opposed to English players who we know all too much about who join.

It'll be intrigueing. I don't think our chances in cups are any less hopeful without O Neill, because it's about luck a lot of the times. It'd be nice to win a trophie, so hopefully we have another good cup run.

But the uncertainty is most definitely exciting. Our new manager could provide enough inspiration and tactical genius to get this group in the top 4. Granted, said manager would need to be a genius to do that, and would then end up at Barca or Real or Inter next summer! On the otherhand we could get a clown who just doesn't suit the club and could have us in a relegation scrap. We'll see. The sadist in me kind of thinks a good old fashioned relegation scrap will provide more thrill and excitement than simply cementing 7th or 8th.  At least we'd be playing for something by May. And as for the holy grail of the Europa? What bobbins. I'd love us to win it by all means, but getting to the end of a season and achieving qualification for that mickey mouse load of shite, doesn't really feel like an achievement. At least not till the sort that competition out.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 06:07:26 PM »
I'm happy with the opportunity to push things forward, finally get the fresh formations and tactics with every player being given a chance etc.

I'm not 100% happy though, because whoever we can get to boss us right now wont be the right long term choice. I'm seeing this season as one of distraction from all the same criticisms of years past. This is like a going out with a plain Jane and hoping she gets tarted up at the weekend and is a filthy whore in the bedroom rather than one who lies there like a corpse.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 06:09:54 PM »
I would like a 'I live in Hope' option.

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 06:25:33 PM »
I'm more upbeat and positive going into the start of the new season; things do seem a lot better than they did this time exactly 48 hours ago.

Offline exigo

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 06:35:15 PM »
Upbeat and positive. Players like Davies, Reo Coker, Young will have points to prove. Players like Delph (when fit), Delfouneso, Albrighton, Bannan, Lichaj, Clark will feel that this is an opportunity to prove they're good enough.

I was bored rigid watching players uncomfortable with the ball, not moving at throw ins, flicking the ball on into acres of void.

We have a top six squad. If we can get a manager capable of beating, rather than drawing against, the park the bus teams then we should stay positive.

But the words Gareth and Southgate still scare me.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 06:39:47 PM »
We have no manager, the list of favourites to take over do not fill me with confidence, we're about to lose our player of the season, we haven't addressed our goal scoring problem, we've got to cut the wage bill so the prospect of others leaving is very real, at the club it feels like we have the Tories austerity measures coming but I can't bloody wait for Saturday.
Take away the last 7 words and that could be a post by Greg Nash.
I can't believe you're losing faith in the owners, so i'll assume i'm having another acid flash back from my over use of it in 1988.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
Very excited.  No more mediocrity - it will be shit or bust!!!!

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 06:52:50 PM »
Here's the thing, I guess there's a sense of excitement (or is that dread? Not sure). Seriously, were we gonna do any better than 6th this season under Martin? No. In fact we'd have finished 7th at best IMO. Do we really care that much about being the 6th or 7th best team in the country? For me? Not particularly. It gets boring, especially after 3 years of being good, but not good enough.

If a new guy comes in and we finish 10th, so be it. At least we'll have (or I hope) a change of approach, and style. We might see a few more surprise players come our way, a few unheards of's, as opposed to English players who we know all too much about who join.

It'll be intrigueing. I don't think our chances in cups are any less hopeful without O Neill, because it's about luck a lot of the times. It'd be nice to win a trophie, so hopefully we have another good cup run.

But the uncertainty is most definitely exciting. Our new manager could provide enough inspiration and tactical genius to get this group in the top 4. Granted, said manager would need to be a genius to do that, and would then end up at Barca or Real or Inter next summer! On the otherhand we could get a clown who just doesn't suit the club and could have us in a relegation scrap. We'll see. The sadist in me kind of thinks a good old fashioned relegation scrap will provide more thrill and excitement than simply cementing 7th or 8th.  At least we'd be playing for something by May. And as for the holy grail of the Europa? What bobbins. I'd love us to win it by all means, but getting to the end of a season and achieving qualification for that mickey mouse load of shite, doesn't really feel like an achievement. At least not till the sort that competition out.

Excellent post. I fully agree.

For me a relegation battle would be much better than the same old slog to mediocrity. Not that I think we will have one mind.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 06:57:26 PM »
Take away the last 7 words and that could be a post by Greg Nash.
I can't believe you're losing faith in the owners, so i'll assume i'm having another acid flash back from my over use of it in 1988.

To be optimistic when there ar so many unknowns would be blind faith. I'm looking forward to the season, hoping to see a good managerial appointment and perhaps a couple of signings but at the moment it looks like a time for consolidation when I'd been hoping for more. Give it a week or two when there are a few more things in place and it might be different.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal