collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where will we finish then?  (Read 12595 times)

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
Where will we finish then?
« on: August 11, 2010, 12:39:39 PM »
For me, the "What are the odds on us going down" thread is moot. I don't for one second believe that a squad that MON misused into 6th place are relegation fodder just because he's gone. Quite the opposite in fact. But, let's hear what you have to say.

Now, let's work on two assumptions:

1. We're swapping Milner for Ireland and
2. We'll be bringing in a fairly average sort of manager - nothing like Pellegrini and nothing like Curbishley (or maybe we stick with MacDonald for a fair chunk of the season).

The squad's a good 'un.
The players should be reinvigorated given that they now have a fresh chance to prove themselves (and, by extension, prove MON wrong).

So, where are we going to finish?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Where will we finish then?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 12:43:40 PM »
As it stands we'll do well to finish 8th. The worst possible pre-season, the prospect of more players leaving, we're yet to address the goal scoring issue and a manger who will have to get to know his players very very quickly.

Online TaxDodger

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 12:45:21 PM »
I still can't see us coming lower than 8th, despite the so called "turmoil". I think we'll pip Spurs or Everton and finish 7th.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 12:48:13 PM »
I still can't see us coming lower than 8th, despite the so called "turmoil". I think we'll pip Spurs or Everton and finish 7th.

[Danny Baker]The "University of Turmoil" ?[/Danny Baker]

Offline jonzy85

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 12:49:46 PM »
I put 8th, but I am feeling very pessimistic about everything.

A new manager, if he plays his cards right and is the right man to do it, could be a breath of fresh air and revitalise the whole club.

I also think Ireland, if he signs, could be much better than Milner for us. Both's reputations are based on one fantastic season each, last season being a right off for Ireland due to injury/not fitting in with Mancini.

What worries me long term is that Randy, despite his statement, has decided to reign in on his spending, which is fair enough, it's his money!

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »
Somewhere between 8th and 12th.

I think I could managed our Milner-less squad to around there. We won't be relegated unless Randy makes a MONUMENTAL f**k up when it comes to MON's replacement.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 12:52:35 PM »
We've lost Milner's engine but look like getting Ireland's craft.  Over the season these should cancel each other out.  The problem.....always a Villa problem is the amount of goals we score.  We needed to strengthen this department, haven't and now we need to hope Carew stays fit, Gabby improves on last season and the Fonz makes the breakthrough.  If all this happened then we could be on course for a challenge for the top 4 again. 

Realistically, 7th is about where we will finish up.

Offline wwwphil

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 01:20:35 PM »
I have gone for 8th.  This is presuming Milner's exit and Ireland's arrival.  Lets hope some of our less motivated players, NRC ect take this opportunity to try and regain regular places in the first team, there's nothing like competition to push standards.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 01:40:02 PM »
I have opted for finishing 8th hopefully we can better that but that's were i think we will finish.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 01:49:08 PM »
.....there's nothing like competition to push standards.

A certain bespectacled, unemployed Ulsterman disagrees.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 01:53:46 PM »
.....there's nothing like competition to push standards.

A certain bespectacled, unemployed Ulsterman disagrees.

Frank Carson's out of work ? I did not know that !

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 01:58:50 PM »
With the right manager in place, and more focus on the January window, we'll finish 6th again. This current squad, Milner replaced by Ireland are still more than acapable of competing against every team in the PL. We won't be as consistent as the top 3 (Man U,Chelsea and Arsenal) but we won't be far off Man City and Spurs. We'll be in it with Everton until January, and then if money is made available to the new manager we can push on for 5th or 6th.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 01:59:54 PM »
As I said elsewhere, the new manager may be able to use the squad better, pick players in their proper positions and have more than just a Plan A.

I can us finishing in or around same again. I chose 7th in the poll.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 02:04:24 PM »
We've got a relatively easy start to the season. No "big 4" club to play until mid October. We should be off to a flyer but I don't expect that to happen if we havent got a new manager settled in by then.

9th - and we'll be looking back with dewey eyes at the good old days when we used to be 6th

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 02:06:38 PM »
We've got a relatively easy start to the season. No "big 4" club to play until mid October. We should be off to a flyer but I don't expect that to happen if we havent got a new manager settled in by then.

9th - and we'll be looking back with dewey eyes at the good old days when we used to be 6th

Maybe we will, but we should remember that it was the ex manager who left us stuck in the mud going into the season and not the people who have invested hundreds of millions in the club....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal