collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Spent 121.5m Recouped 39m  (Read 18788 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: Spent 121.5m Recouped 39m
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 09:11:56 AM »
The irony is he moaned persistently about money ruining football but was happy to arrange wages well above the norm for a club of our status. By and large, for players even he seemed to deem unworthy of a regular game at this level.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 09:29:02 AM »
I think he has wasted  money on players who are not good enough for the first team but with the wages they were being paid as left us having to be more prudent.  I hope the new man get's a chance to buy with out any restrictions.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 09:42:27 AM »
And we think it is only us?

Chelsea - 2009 Champions and FA cup winners have released in the last 4 weeks

Ballack
Cole J
Deco
Carvallio

4 players that would get in most teams in the prem so not considered dead wood by any means - reported saving on weekly wage bill of £460, 000

I think every club bar one have the same issues and are addressing it - seems only MON did not see why he had to

That's a misleading argument as those players at Chelsea were out of contract so automatically came off the wagebill, while we need to find clubs to pay a fee and take over the wages of our players.  Two totally different tasks.

I think for the progress we made on field, which to me is from relegation candidates to consistent top 6 and a cup final, £80m is not an over spend.  I also think that if he had spent it as badly as some make out that simply would not have happened.  Overall we got value for money both in terms of results on the pitch and the potential resale value of the squad.

However, it seems his downfall was not fees, but wages.  In this I can understand the need to control the ratio to turnover, but we have to accept that in doing so it may be one step back in order to take two forward.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 09:44:52 AM »
If I keep buying expensive Whiskys ,expensive wines and outrageous bottle of Champagnes for my shop and they are just left on the shelf not being sold.   My business will be in trouble.   As I wont have the money eventually to buy for future stock to keep my business going....  I cant keep going on being stupid.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 09:49:29 AM »
You own the store, you make the ultimate decision. If you get somebody to run your store and he fooks up, I'd look at yourself, not blame him.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 09:52:33 AM »
didnt the owner of the store choose not purchase any more expensive stock before the current stock was moved off the very expensive to run shelves, and the bloke who runs the store got his nickers in a twist and storm out the front door?

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 09:57:33 AM »
You own the store, you make the ultimate decision. If you get somebody to run your store and he fooks up, I'd look at yourself, not blame him.

exactly, thats how i feel about MON...

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 09:57:50 AM »
I think the owner of the store reneged on promises to buy more stock with proceeds of items sold.
The shop keeper being a man of honour, felt he could no longer work at shop.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 10:17:33 AM »
which would sort of contradict what the store owners partner has stated....

although, if the other items on sale were purchased above market value and then had ridiculous maintenance costs, then you can understand the store owners reluctance to purchase more stock before the existing stock was shipped out...

Offline Arsey

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 10:40:37 AM »
To be fair to MON If we sold Young and Milner the net spend would be about 30mil which wouldn't be too bad over 5 years.  That said I don't want to be fair to him, we couldn't make a profit on almost every signing he's made.

Offline garyfouroaks

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 10:46:39 AM »
MON is not to blame for thinking that further net investment was required to stand still, let alone advance.

Randy is not to blame for doubting that such investment had a likelihood of producing results and anything like a return on the investment.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 11:04:06 AM »
MON wasted money by not using a squad system - the starting X1 named itself in th end which isn't that healthy.

I think Randy just got tipped over the edge by too many Sidwells costing not an inconsiderable amount of money to aqcuire and on decent wages only to be used very sparingly.

Both MON and Randy will have learnt from this - I just hope Randy will keep on investing and believing that his 'return on investment' will come in the form of the club's valuation when he sells out.

If Villa beomes a worldwide name in the next 10 years which we all hope it does, AVFC could be making Randy a great ROI.

Other than that, I hope Randy sells a portion of the club to a very wealthy investor who he lines up to put cash in now and then to buy Randy out totally in x years time.

Shared owneership, shared risk.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 11:15:04 AM »
Its interesting now the Emperor has been found without clothes how many of his followers still try to justify him

A man who was paranoid about people, players following his rules to the letter, a man who always said he never quit, ran away or left a job unfinished walked out with such short notice at a crucial time in the season because he couldn't seemingly follow the rules he'd agreed with his boss.

I'm sure when he's spoken to his advisor's he'll be back with renewed enthusiasm and proliferate excuses as to how he remains the Wonder some believe. Meanwhile,as  when he left Leicester and Celtic, the person that follows in his wake will have the job of sorting through the mess left behind in conditions created by his profligacy and yet again, while he basks in the media spotlight, Randy will carry the can, and Villa fans will hope against hope the reaping of his past decisions is not too bad.

Now is the time to get behind the team, to offer the solidarity we are famous for in adversity and hope all those players he ostracised for not playing to his rules don't adopt his mentality and runaway, but push the favoured few to greater things.

If they do we might be amazed at the end result.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 11:26:20 AM »
And we think it is only us?

Chelsea - 2009 Champions and FA cup winners have released in the last 4 weeks

Ballack
Cole J
Deco
Carvallio

4 players that would get in most teams in the prem so not considered dead wood by any means - reported saving on weekly wage bill of £460, 000

I think every club bar one have the same issues and are addressing it - seems only MON did not see why he had to

That's a misleading argument as those players at Chelsea were out of contract so automatically came off the wagebill, while we need to find clubs to pay a fee and take over the wages of our players.  Two totally different tasks.

I think for the progress we made on field, which to me is from relegation candidates to consistent top 6 and a cup final, £80m is not an over spend.  I also think that if he had spent it as badly as some make out that simply would not have happened.  Overall we got value for money both in terms of results on the pitch and the potential resale value of the squad.

However, it seems his downfall was not fees, but wages.  In this I can understand the need to control the ratio to turnover, but we have to accept that in doing so it may be one step back in order to take two forward.

It still proves the fact that a club with a monumentally rich owner still drives to get the seldomly used high earners off the wage roll - free agents maybe but the clubs planned to run the contracts down to get them gone.

I am sure Randy knows we need a squad and that squad costs money - but it must be galling to pay out every week for players that basically turn up and train for it each week then to be told that we need more by a manager who clearly has no intention of playing them unless a serious injury effects the first X1 - in fact rumours are that even when injured he still maintained that senior pro's like Dunne, Milner would play injured before other got a chance

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 11:30:44 AM »
To be fair to MON If we sold Young and Milner the net spend would be about 30mil which wouldn't be too bad over 5 years.  That said I don't want to be fair to him, we couldn't make a profit on almost every signing he's made.

But to be even fairer to the original point, if we sell Milner and Young for around $50mill we would then have to buy replacements.  Which would cost us how much?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal