collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Evening Mail - Blue Nose Propaganda Machine?  (Read 7201 times)

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

Evening Mail - Blue Nose Propaganda Machine?
« on: August 10, 2010, 09:59:21 PM »
Anyone else think their coverage is a little OTT?

In tonight's edition we have 'Villa In Turmoil' plastered all over the place, as well as an 8 page 'Villa in Turmoil' Pullout, the obligatory picture of the Villa crest with a big crack down the middle, and the back page headline of 'Bob Who?' which seems a bit of a piss take (not that we're likley to appoint him anyway.....

First time in ages I've bought it today, and I'd forgotten what a horrible rag its become...

Offline The Situation

• Location: Where there are palm trees, bad bitches and wannabe's
Re: Evening Mail - Blue Nose Propaganda Machine?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:05:49 PM »
That's the paper that loser Colin Twattum 'writes' for? I once read his online column and all it was filled with was anti-Villa and how Carson's Yeung's fortune will make Blose overtake Villa. Pathetic.

Worst.Journalist.Ever.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:12:06 PM »
Ive always had a certain antipathy towards the Evening Mail which goes right back to the 1960s. Dennis Shaw was the big name reporter then, a definite bluenose.
I have much the same feelings towards the Sunday Mercury, gods knows why but i still buy it  every week. For both sports coverage and local politics, and with a letters column which seems to have regular contributions from probable BNP activists, its another cheap sensationalist rag.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 10:23:20 PM »
It is only what we expect of that shower of shit.

Offline hollybobble

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 10:26:01 PM »
you should check out their  circulation it is dwindling like nobodies business

Offline big 1st serve

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 10:30:47 PM »
Have to agree, they do like their"silly" stories , if its not Gabby upsetting his neighbours,
Its a story about Charlie Aitkin being a garden grabber!!!
Both Mercury & Mail are poor rags, but I still end up buying them as they,re "local"

ps Do you think Gabby really did try to open his electronic gates to his estate with his tv remote!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mozza

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 10:36:58 PM »
Managed to grab the last copy as my local newsagent was locking up - wish I hadn't bothered

As expected they have given our predicament blanket coverage but you do get the impression
they are having a laugh at our expense-

The photographer even got my Streetly mate 'Rosie' to pose making him look distraught.........
cheer up Mark I'm sure Randy will appoint someone who will get us up and running before you
know it 

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 11:39:23 PM »
Every time I've looked at the back of the Mail over the last few months there's been a big splash story about the Blues, with the little sidebar on the right given over to the Villa.

If you didn't know better you'd get the impression that Villa were the junior team in Birmingham.

Offline newtonsballs

• GM : 21.02.2020
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 11:43:52 PM »
I think if all Villa fans stopped buying these papers, and emailed/wrote to these papers why they are not buying them anymore should do the trick :)

Offline jembob

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 11:48:45 PM »
Newspapers thrive on bad news. If there isn't much bad news about they'll make an issue out of the most mundane of things, so it's hardly surprising that they are  having a field day with this. The Editor's mantra is 'If it bleeds, it leads".

Just don't buy the crap, there are plenty of more impartial, interesting sources of information on the web these days.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 12:42:47 AM »
Ive always had a certain antipathy towards the Evening Mail which goes right back to the 1960s. Dennis Shaw was the big name reporter then, a definite bluenose.

The Mail was almost a proper paper in the sixties and Dennis Shaw was influential in participating in the demise of the old board with his "open letters" and frequent articles criticising the way the club was run. I didn't see it as anti-Villa, more a crusade to move with the times and bring success back to Villa Park.

Of course now, it's the biggest pile of steaming hot poo ever seen masquerading as a newspaper.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 12:47:05 AM »
The Villa badge split in two is surely one of the great Brummie-isms? Like calling your mother mom.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 01:16:22 AM »
In fairness, Tom Ross' column is quite good today...

Tom Ross: Martin O'Neill selfish to walk out on Aston Villa

Aug 11 2010 by Ken Montgomery, Birmingham Mail

MARTIN O’Neill walking out on Villa just five days before the Premier League kick-off was nothing short of disgraceful.

It showed no respect for the fans who have adored him for the last four years.

There are those who would say that he has been a man of principle – leaving because the situation at Villa Park was untenable for him with the apparent financial restrictions imposed.

However, spending close to a £100 million and building a squad that was bought to play Martin’s way should have been reason enough to stay and see the job through.

A new manager is likely to want to play a different way and, therefore, will need different players.

Randy Lerner is not just building a team but was also focused on building a club. He has invested in the infrastructure at Villa Park and the Bodymore Heath training complex to create facilities much envied throughout the game.

He has the fans in mind with his constant desire to make going to Villa Park a match day experience to enjoy.

Manchester City should take a chunk of the blame for Martin deciding to walk away.

They are without doubt ruining the game as they try to buy the Premier League title. What is that doing to the game?

Despite what Sky TV tell us the Premier League is a competition for five teams – Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester City.

I assume Martin realised that it would be a tough task to even emulate last season’s sixth place, especially with players like James Milner leaving and persistent rumours that Ashley Young is set to follow.

You can see how Martin would think that his personal profile would be jeopardised if he had a poor season.

In my opinion Martin left for selfish reasons and showed a lack of loyalty to the club that he has controlled from top to bottom for the last four years.

I am certain he will regret walking away from Aston Villa – because I am not sure he will get a bigger club to manage."

Especially like the last bit.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:18:06 AM by cdvillafan »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 01:17:15 AM »
Even if he can't spell 'Bodymoor'!

Offline Perry Barr Pet

• GM : 15.08.2019
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 01:32:27 AM »
Where else can you find out about your local lollipop lady retiring aged 104, do the crosswords and sudoku, and check the 'Hatched, Matched and Despatched' and Magistrate's Courts hearings for names you may know, all for 42p?

Any stories regarding Gabby, Charlie Aitkin, 'Villa in Crisis!', or Blose impending glory and global dominance are best ignored.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal