collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Speaks for all of us.....  (Read 17809 times)

Offline stevenjos

Re: Speaks for all of us.....
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2010, 10:11:56 AM »
I have so far got away without watching sky sports news for a good 6 months, but.... do they still have a 5 minute segment everyday where they stand out st james with a lot of unemployed people and talk about anything that might be happening with the "best fans in the world"

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2010, 10:39:42 AM »
Fucking monkeyhangers.

Yes, I know thats Hartlepool but its close enough.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 10:45:42 AM by Mazrim »

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2010, 12:04:40 PM »
I have nothing against Newcastle. When I lived in Sheffield my best mate was a Geordie, I have met plenty of their fans over the years and they have always been pretty knowledgeable and fair minded, with a glaring blind spot when it comes to the ability of King Kev.

I wasn't at that game 15 months ago but some of the antipathy towards Newcastle made me cringe. When Wednesday sent us down at Villa Park in 1987 I remember then manager Howard Wilkinson saying the team had left promptly because the experience reminded him of being in a graveyard and was not a pleasant experience.

Their support given their trophy-less record in my life time is admirable. The only criticism I would have is of the fans a few years ago who would always jump on the " we brought 500 coaches to you on Christmas morning and you only brought a transit van for the last day of the season" variety.

To them I would point out that around 1978 we relegated Newcastle in  a midweek game at Villa Park. There was a story in the Mail the next day about the 17 fans who had travelled down in a van to watch them. The players heard of this and subsequently clubbed together to pay for their petrol. I am sure somebody with access to proper archives can dredge this story up.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2010, 01:53:38 PM »
Fucking monkeyhangers.

Not a term I'd heard before so if I went to Wiki.
A brilliant story!

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2010, 01:58:53 PM »

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2010, 02:25:27 PM »
Fucking monkeyhangers.

Not a term I'd heard before so if I went to Wiki.
A brilliant story!

Haven't read the Wiki thing but isn't it Hartlepool where they are known as the monkeyhangers? Although it's in the North East it bears as much relation to Newcastle as Coventry does to Aston.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2010, 02:49:22 PM »
Yeah, I already explained that (in tiny text). I just wanted to call some North East idiot a monkey hanger.
Because it amuses me.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2010, 02:55:11 PM »
Yeah, I already explained that (in tiny text). I just wanted to call some North East idiot a monkey hanger.
Because it amuses me.

Didn't spot that. As you were.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2010, 03:52:32 PM »
http://www.true-faith.co.uk/tf/features.nsf/0/CFD4A5B13AA46E5D8025777B0035970F?OpenDocument

P/S - you'll see that we Geordies aren't delusional. We'll take 17th this season - no messing. Oh and to those coming up to Newcastle a week on sunday please don't take offence if you are not welcomed at any of our hostelries or that your generally not welcomed with open arms. The memory kinda lingers doesn't it?

Not delusional, but stupid enough to believe that we're the planet's most fickle supporters. We're no different to any other set. Now fuck off.

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2010, 07:37:54 PM »
The OP is so strange it defies belief.

I doubt that "article" does speak for all Geordies as I know a couple and they are not little bitches, who cry about banter at football matches.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal