collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: More foreign signings in the near future? Yay or nay?  (Read 3566 times)

Offline supertom

More foreign signings in the near future? Yay or nay?
« on: August 09, 2010, 09:19:03 PM »
Any potential new manager coming in will have their own ideas I guess. So, would we be happy if someone like Avram Grant came in and signed predominently overseas players? Even Hodgeson mainly signed obscure and not exactly brilliant, foreign players at Fulham.

I appreciate the new squad rules play a factor of course, so it wouldn't be entirely. But to be honest, I would miss the fact that we sign mainly English players. It's one thing about Martin I appreciated.

Although the odd bit of foreign class and flair wouldn't go amiss!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: More foreign signings in the near future? Yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 09:22:06 PM »
I would be delighted to sign more foreign players... they tend to be cheaper. There is a high risk element but now we have a Player Liaison Officer hopefully players would be given more help in settling in.

Think of all the players we have missed out on over the years due to our poor / non-existant scouting. Surely there's an available goalscorer out there somewhere in the entire planet?

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 09:23:14 PM »
Limiting yourself to one single marketplace can only be a bad thing. It doesn't matter where they are based, as long as they are the right signings.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 09:46:35 PM »
Any potential new manager coming in will have their own ideas I guess. So, would we be happy if someone like Avram Grant came in and signed predominently overseas players? Even Hodgeson mainly signed obscure and not exactly brilliant, foreign players at Fulham.

I appreciate the new squad rules play a factor of course, so it wouldn't be entirely. But to be honest, I would miss the fact that we sign mainly English players. It's one thing about Martin I appreciated.

Although the odd bit of foreign class and flair wouldn't go amiss!

I'd say exactly the opposite... It's one of the main things I'm looking forward to under any new manager. It bothered me a lot, lot more than the football to be honest and nearly as much as the rotation or lack there of.

Offline woo

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 09:51:49 PM »
I'm not bothered about their nationality, just want them to be good

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 09:52:20 PM »
I fully support the idea of a solid, British/Irish core to the side.

I wouldn't want to see a scenario like at Citeh a few years ago when a rake of cheap (and sometimes not so cheap) foreign imports rocked up in summer, they started the season like a house on fire and then had all fallen out with each other by Christmas.

Balance is the key, I think.

A decent, worthwhile scouting network and a manager/coach brave enough to back his judgement, even if the players he's looking at haven't played in the Prem at any point previously.

It's having the awareness, conviction and balls to think that they will make it.  Rather than taking what you believe to be the less risky (but infinitely more expensive route) of relying on players with Prem experience.

Offline H00513R

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 02:51:13 PM »
Why not have a mix? It doesn't mean you can't still have mostly English players, but add some more foreign in. You are limiting the potential for greater success by going mostly English. But I do like developing your own players and seeing them progress through the academy and into the 1st team.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 02:55:34 PM »
We need somebody with a wider knowledge of the game in 2010 than MON had. MON had a great knowledge of football in these islands and of big names like Carew, but he was never going to bring the next continental starlet to the club.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 02:58:26 PM »
Doesn't Bob Bradley have a decent midfield playing son, Mike Bradley?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 03:01:44 PM »
My opinion is the same as when Martin got stick for not signing them - don't care where they're from as long as they improve us!

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 03:46:45 PM »
I don't care whether they're from Perry Barr or Peru as long as they improve the team. 

Too much is made out of where players are from.  The fuss over Gregory's All-English XI was embarrassing, especially when they turned to shit after all the Christmas decorations came down.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal