collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why cant I feel any excitement about the forthcoming season?  (Read 16027 times)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Why cant I feel any excitement about the forthcoming season?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2010, 11:07:24 PM »
Quote from: "pauliewalnuts"
Quote from: "saunders_heroes"
It's an opinion that I'm entitled to, and I thinks it's a valid opinion as well. I must also point out that you can be as patronising as the best of us on here, so you're hardly one to point the finger I must say.

It's an opinion, yes, a patronising one.

Given your bolshy, nobody can disagree with me, patronising attitude across several threads tonight, I'll take that as a compliment.

Bolshy, patronising, no one can disagree with me etc etc - you could be describing yourself there paulie - you're up there with the best of them when it comes to those qualities. Honestly, I don't know how you've got the nerve to say those things when you're as pompous and sarcastic as you clearly are.

Well, there you go. I did say them.

If you've got any more moans regarding my character, I suggest you PM me them.

Same applies to you as well. If you've got a problem with me use the PM option.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 11:08:48 PM »
It's an opinion that I'm entitled to, and I thinks it's a valid opinion as well. I must also point out that you can be as patronising as the best of us on here, so you're hardly one to point the finger I must say.

Given your bolshy, nobody can disagree with me, patronising attitude across several threads tonight, I'll take that as a compliment.

Bolshy, patronising, no one can disagree with me etc etc - you could be describing yourself there paulie - you're up there with the best of them when it comes to those qualities. Honestly, I don't know how you've got the nerve to say those things when you're as pompous and sarcastic as you clearly are.

I don't have a problem with your character, I said your post was patronising. And you've just gone and done it on another thread, too.

I suggest you let it go at this point, as it's getting boring.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2010, 11:09:28 PM »
Its the least excited about a new season that I have ever been.
Various reasons, in no particular order and not a comprehensive list:
1) - young players not getting a chance in English football. This was recognised by one national newspaper on the morning of last season's Youth Cup Final, where it said that, for most of those playing, they would never play in such a big game again.
2) - following from (1) the national team are so poor and such a bunch of twats. The FA and Premier League, despite the excuses from the latter, are all to blame.
3) - the game is too expensive. The fan should not have to pay £40 a ticket to watch a load of prats in such disgusting conditions (particularly the away match seating allocation).
4) - SKY TV and others have milked it. Hopefully their gravy train will soon dry up.
5) - the bad management of O'Neill and his total disregard for our supporters, except those who, blindly, pander to him.
6) - the fact that we could be doing something far more enjoyable and the season has disturbed our summer.

However, on our way to Portugal, we met some familiar faces and realised why we actually continue to go. It is for the friendly conversations, the whingeing and moaning, the jokes, the piss taking and the drinking. Football takes a back seat in our days out at the match these days.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 11:14:26 PM »
Quote from: "Andyg"
It's all too predictable, we need Villa, Everton or Fulham to win the league, Liverpool, Arsenal or Man U to be relegated, or Blackpool, Wolves or Stoke to make the Champions League to make the whole thing interesting/unpredictable again. Just like when Forest were winning things, Ipswich were a top team and Man U got relegated in the early seventies, oh happy days !!!!

I'll settle for Manure going bankrupt and Garry Cook moving Man Citeh to Asia lock, stock and barrel to flog shirts there.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2010, 11:46:50 PM »
3-0 win against West Ham and it's here we go, here we go, here we go.

Cheer up you lot.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2010, 11:52:11 PM »
Quote from: "dave clark five"
I
1) - young players not getting a chance in English football. This was recognised by one national newspaper on the morning of last season's Youth Cup Final, where it said that, for most of those playing, they would never play in such a big game again.

I reckon this is the thing which will really damage the English game long term.

Look at James Milner. Said to be the future of the English game, yet desperate for a move to a club where, almost certainly, he will not be a week in, week out starter.

The player who is almost certainly going to be England's number one goalkeeper for the foreseeable can't get a game at his current club.

Theo Walcott, hailed as a rising star in the previous U21 tournament, the same one at which Ozil starred, can't get a regular game and has seemingly not moved on at all since then.

There are a lot of really good foreign players in the PL, but there are also a lot of really mediocre ones, and those mediocre ones are the ones that are making it harder for promising English players to break through.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 12:46:45 AM »
I htink maybe that it's a case of Liverpool, having dropped out of the Top 4, opening up that position for any number of clubs. But then Man City take their obscene spending up a notch, (target us again, fuck about like they're a lion toying with a mouse), effectively closing that Top4 shop for at least another season.

Another season where football continues to (as has be so well put several times) eat itself.

On one hand, we want a top 4 position for oursleves, allowing the Villa to attract a better style of footballer. But all that's doing is allowing US to stick two fingers up to the rest of football and carry on like Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool have been doing.

Is that something we want. Well....yes. But really, no.

I think the Big-Bang that football will inevitably go through will bring back that excitement. I have grave doubts that it's going to happen any time soon (this new system is just a band-aid - but hopefully a rather large, all curing one). When football gets back to being a game where the Norwich City's of this world can be up in the Top 3, I'll be well excited again.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2010, 01:34:36 AM »
Season starts Saturday for me.

Shenstone Pathfinder v Hanwood United

I'm almost creaming myself.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2010, 06:23:41 AM »

I don't have a problem with your character, I said your post was patronising. And you've just gone and done it on another thread, too.

I suggest you let it go at this point, as it's getting boring.

I come on here hoping to get some inspiration and debate what do I start?  A fecking argument.....

Offline Comrade Blitz

• GM : 25.05.2019
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 08:03:30 AM »
The only thing stopping me from foresaking League football entirely and becoming a weekend vintage stream excursion anorak is the cost. It's like 80 quid per ticket on some of those trips. Makes VP look affordable at 25-35 quid.

Going to see SCTFC is a steal - new league opponents as well this year. Is Shephshed Dynamo's ground really on Butthole Lane?

Shepshed Dynamo FC

Have the Butthole Surfers ever done a show there?

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2010, 08:23:58 AM »
Why Im in the doldrums about the new season:

1) Hate the new kit, after all the hype a MASSIVE disappointment, some might like it, I hate it.

2) Match day prices up and now for a ordinary match against Wet Spam (albeit cat b match and 1st home game of the season) its gone too expensive.

3) Continuation to play a Centre Half at RB AGAIN.

4) Heskey still at the club.

5) Milner going.

6) Davies (£8m), Sidwell (£5m), NRC (£7.5m), Young (£5m), (Beye £2m) on the transfer list and we are 'waiting' till the end of the window to sign players - do the maths boys - we cant sign anyone because these numpties are still here.

7) Unhappy about Luke Young out of favour, like the player and hasnt done a lot wrong for me.

8) At this stage last season we won the Peace Cup with our Kids and that gave me great optimism, none this year.

9) Liverpool out of the Sky four and replaced by Moneybags Citeh. Which means its fantasy football for Chelski, ManUre, Arse and Citeh while we have to scrap Everton, Spuds and Liverpool for 5th, 6th and 7th. Which means thats as high as we are EVER going to get.

10) I think MON is the right manager for our club and I dont think that another manager will make the slightest bit of difference to our place among the elite and thats the most depressing thing.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
I fucking love it, me. Can't wait. I'm even looking forward to The Championship starting, and Soccer AM.

"HEROES AND VILLAINS, BRAND NEW ISSUE, ONLY THIRTY BOB!!!"

It is still thirty bob isn't it Dave?

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2010, 09:11:46 AM »
Quote from: "Muscle-Dolphin"
WE NEED SOME TYPE OF SALARY CAP!

That would be nice but where do we start when mediocre players are getting £35k £40k a week how about £10k a week then bonus for actually playing in the first team then another bonus for winning a match etc. Mind you I bet the Blackpool owner never thought they would get promoted when he offerred all the players £400k each for getting promoted, he should have taken out some insurance.

Offline GullyFoyle

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2010, 09:25:10 AM »
Could it be because when your glass is half empty, you knock it over and spill the rest?

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2010, 09:25:59 AM »
I got fed up with football in general ages ago, the money, the big 4 club, inept/corrupt officals, inept/corrupt administrators, Sky etc.   It was only Villa that has kept my interest up and that had all but petered out  in the last 5 years of Doug’s reign.  Then there was  massive optimism of the dual arrival of Randy and MON.  Unfortunately  I’ve realized that MON isn’t good enough t to establish us as one of the very best and will never serve up enticing football either.  Even if we get to the promised land it will be hollow as the fundamental flaws underlying the game will still be there. Like Troy said, I won’t be happy until Norwich City and their ilk are able to challenge. The money men have stolen the game from us and are in the process of raping it to death.  We need more than a wage cap, we need a revolution to take our game back.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal