collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Keeno
[Today at 12:56:39 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by OCD
[Today at 12:41:13 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 12:40:24 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 12:17:57 PM]

Villa songs on Alexa by Louzie0
[Today at 12:16:54 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by WarszaVillan
[Today at 12:15:25 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by olaftab
[Today at 12:08:48 PM]

Diego Carlos by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:02:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why cant I feel any excitement about the forthcoming season?  (Read 16028 times)

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
Why cant I feel any excitement about the forthcoming season?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 10:14:17 PM »
Its not just us Villa fans, alot of other fans are feeling abit.........well fooked off with the game

Offline Muscle-Dolphin

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 10:21:01 PM »
WE NEED SOME TYPE OF SALARY CAP!

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 10:22:01 PM »
Another thing that adds to the frustration of some fans is the need to get Villa news all through the summer. Years ago we'd all practically forget about football during the summer months and go and do something else. That was before the Internet/Sky Sports 24hr football news era when we now demand football 365 days a year. If we don't get our feed of Villa during the summer close season we thing there's something terribly wrong with the club. There isn't of course, but try telling that to people on here.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 10:25:52 PM »
Quote from: "saunders_heroes"
Another thing that adds to the frustration of some fans is the need to get Villa news all through the summer. Years ago we'd all practically forget about football during the summer months and go and do something else. That was before the Internet/Sky Sports 24hr football news era when we now demand football 365 days a year. If we don't get our feed of Villa during the summer close season we thing there's something terribly wrong with the club. There isn't of course, but try telling that to people on here.

Or maybe they just think there is something wrong? It's a bit patronising to assume they're just missing their Villa fix, surely?

Personally, I thnk this summer has been the easiest to handle for a while.

For a start, there's been a World Cup, which has both provided a four week supply of football, and also ensured that pretty much nobody was going to do any transfer business until towards the end of July.

Then there's the fact that there seems to be less money in the game in general, which has paralysed the entire transfer market.

I would actually say that there is less moaning about lack of signings this season than there was last season or the season before.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 10:32:11 PM »
Quote from: "pauliewalnuts"

Or maybe they just think there is something wrong? It's a bit patronising to assume they're just missing their Villa fix, surely?

For a start, there's been a World Cup, which has both provided a four week supply of football, and also ensured that pretty much nobody was going to do any transfer business until towards the end of July.

Then there's the fact that there seems to be less money in the game in general, which has paralysed the entire transfer market.

I would actually say that there is less moaning about lack of signings this season than there was last season or the season before.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the club. O'Neill leaves signings to the last minute, and has done since he arrived here, yet still some fans think there's something wrong at the club. Can't they just accept this is the way he works? What's so patronising about that?

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 10:35:37 PM »

I don't think there is anything wrong with the club. O'Neill leaves signings to the last minute, and has done since he arrived here, yet still some fans think there's something wrong at the club. Can't they just accept this is the way he works? What's so patronising about that?

You don't, they do.

It is patronising because their opinion differs to yours, and you're putting it down purely to people being bored in the summer. Oh, and "try telling that to people on here" as a parting line is about as patronising as it gets.

Maybe you should just give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they really mean what they're saying?

If you can't see how that is patronising, then there's not really much hope.

Oh, and you didn't say anything about people being fed up with O'Neill's lateness in signings originally, you said it was because they weren't getting their Villa fix.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 10:41:39 PM »

You don't, they do.

It is patronising because their opinion differs to yours, and you're putting it down purely to people being bored in the summer.

Maybe you should just give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they really mean what they're saying?

If you can't see how that is patronising, then there's not really much hope.

It's an opinion that I'm entitled to, and I thinks it's a valid opinion as well. I must also point out that you can be as patronising as the best of us on here, so you're hardly one to point the finger I must say.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 10:43:17 PM »
It's an opinion that I'm entitled to, and I thinks it's a valid opinion as well. I must also point out that you can be as patronising as the best of us on here, so you're hardly one to point the finger I must say.

It's an opinion, yes, a patronising one.

Given your bolshy, nobody can disagree with me, patronising attitude across several threads tonight, I'll take that as a compliment.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 10:43:45 PM »
Just watched Ashley Youngs winner against Everton at Goodison. So my excitement is back !!! (so easily pleased) ...

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 10:50:58 PM »

Given your bolshy, nobody can disagree with me, patronising attitude across several threads tonight, I'll take that as a compliment.

Bolshy, patronising, no one can disagree with me etc etc - you could be describing yourself there paulie - you're up there with the best of them when it comes to those qualities. Honestly, I don't know how you've got the nerve to say those things when you're as pompous and sarcastic as you clearly are.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 10:53:11 PM »
time out!

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 11:01:21 PM »
I'm still quietly optimistic.

That might change; if Ireland, Keane and some of our other targets move elsewhere and we end up signing Gary O'Neill or Ricardo Fuller. But lets see.

I think MON knows this is a crucial year, not just as far as his Villa career is concerned but for his legacy in the game in general.

The ideal scenario in that regard is that we have a good year, say finish fifth and draw some top class sides in Europe for the UEFA+ have a good run.  Neither of those scenarios are out of the question. Better than that would be exceptional.

If MON does have a 'mare though, be it a particularly poor run for a prolonged period or a below average season he'll be on his way. And that in itself will bring a form of excitement, a new era/ new approach et.c

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 11:01:47 PM »

Bolshy, patronising, no one can disagree with me etc etc - you could be describing yourself there paulie - you're up there with the best of them when it comes to those qualities. Honestly, I don't know how you've got the nerve to say those things when you're as pompous and sarcastic as you clearly are.

Well, there you go. I did say them.

If you've got any more moans regarding my character, I suggest you PM me them.

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 11:03:55 PM »
I was heard to mutter the words 'oh bloody hell, the fucking football season starts again next week' at the weekend. My other half used to be the one who said that.

At least i'm looking forward to watching Killinghall Nomads Under 8's* this season.

*My son plays for them, i'm not somebody with an unhealthy interest in young boys.

Offline Andyg

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 11:04:26 PM »
It's all too predictable, we need Villa, Everton or Fulham to win the league, Liverpool, Arsenal or Man U to be relegated, or Blackpool, Wolves or Stoke to make the Champions League to make the whole thing interesting/unpredictable again. Just like when Forest were winning things, Ipswich were a top team and Man U got relegated in the early seventies, oh happy days !!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal