collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why cant I feel any excitement about the forthcoming season?  (Read 16029 times)

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
Why cant I feel any excitement about the forthcoming season?
« on: August 05, 2010, 09:06:34 PM »
Is it the world cup farce ?
Is it the thought of over hyped over paid footballers taking the piss?
I just cant work up any enthusiasm for next season, I am usually getting excited and studying the fixture list and and and.......
Has the modern money driven, Sky driven, Andy Gray growling punditry promising 'mouth watering' football finally done me?

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 09:11:18 PM »
I couldn't give a flying shite about England and I'm too young to ever remember footballers being anything other than overhyped and overpaid yet I feel the same.

I think it's the sinking realisation that the Bright Future part of the 2006 take over motto is probably not gonna happen anytime soon. Not under this management anyway.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 09:11:28 PM »
Don't worry about it, it happens to all of us.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 09:12:28 PM »
I would say it's the lack of anything really happening around Villa Park. That's what has got me, I can't see how currently(I know it's not the end of transfer window yet)we are going to improve on last season.

Offline jembob

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 09:12:45 PM »
I've been feeling the same. It's obvious that we can only expect to be playing for the 'Best of the Rest' places, having no hope of breaking into the top 4 and actually challenging for the League title. So 6th place would probably be considered an achievement for most clubs this coming season and it's hard to get enthusiastic about that.

Online eric woolban woolban

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 09:14:27 PM »
It'll all change at 3pm on 14th August.

Offline Fergal

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 09:16:04 PM »
It's not just apathy about Villa it's all football.

Offline Bigmelonface

Re: Why cant I feel any excitement about the forthcoming sea
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 09:16:36 PM »
Quote from: "Fergal"
I just cant work up any enthusiasm for next season, I am usually getting excited and studying the fixture list and and and.......
Has the modern money driven, Sky driven, Andy Gray growling punditry promising 'mouth watering' football finally done me?

You have just got old, as you get older you care less about football and when you look back to the good old days its because your looking back to when you are younger and it always seems better, add to that hope and the optimism of youth and then the gradual evaporation of that hope and you have your answer.

Love Plato.

Offline Fergal

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 09:28:10 PM »
Quote from: "Bigmelonface"

You have just got old, as you get older you care less about football and when you look back to the good old days its because your looking back to when you are younger and it always seems better, add to that hope and the optimism of youth and then the gradual evaporation of that hope and you have your answer.

Love Plato.

It was only a couple of years ago that I spent my redundancy payment on season tickets, I must have got old quick....

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 09:30:14 PM »
You may have reached that saturation point, where you know the old thrills all too well. My advice would be to ignore football almost entirely (except for signings) until the start of the season, and try something new. There's just enough time between now and the season's beginning for it to work.

You might get bored without football, mind.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 09:36:20 PM »
Quote from: "eric woolban woolban"
It'll all change at 3pm on 14th August.

When I suddenly realise where I'm supposed to be and apathy turns to irritation at having forgotten to turn up.

Offline hollybobble

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 09:45:08 PM »
i think the portsmouth fiasco sums football up to me.  football looks after football sod anyone else as long as the peter storries of the world get their fees and the utakas get their tax reduced wages through image rights they are happy.  lets not worry about st johns ambulance or the scouts they can whistle

Online Si

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 10:07:41 PM »
Must admit I feel the same. Don't go to many matches these days. I really believed the 'Proud History, Bright Future' hype. Still got the scarf hanging on my wall, but the Bright Future is not so bright and personally at the moment Doug Ellis could still be in control.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 10:11:49 PM »

As the years go by fans tend to get more cynical and weary about things. I remember when I was a kid my old man would criticize most things about the then modern game and reminisce about how good it was in years gone by. It happens to us all in the end I suppose.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 10:14:10 PM »
I tend to get more and more disillusioned each close season but maybe thats an age thing. I have never been so unenthusiastic as i have been this season.Dont get me wrong i love the Villa but the experience of the World Cup and the dominance of the moneybags teams has put me off a bit.
Only 2 or 3 teams can win the league and generally they also call the tune in the cups. There must be a whole generation of kids who've grown up and only seen 2-3 teams win the title in that time. As a result you see kids all over the country in the shirts of only those teams - the amount of kids popping up in the south wearing Man City shirts is depressing.
The team who gets 4th place celebrate like they've won the league - see Spurs last season. At the end of the day nothing has been won and no one will remember who finished fourth a season or two later. Give me 10th place and a cup anyday over 4th.
The whole Champions League is wrong and the fact that knocked out teams can enter the EUROPA league's later stages is a disgrace.
Referees are inept and biased towards the bigger teams. I know we had our own shortcomings in the two Wembley games but it does help a bit more if you have a fair minded referee. To beat the bigger teams you need everyone to play at 100% and then hope the referee will give you a fair percentage of the decisions.
The price of the game and the money involved in football. I can only make around 7-8 home games a season so i fully admire those who can turn up week after week. You have to think though that football will implode at some point. How some players can be rated at the values they are is unbelievable and wages are crazy even for the likes of the benchwarmers.
As for the Villa i think we're just making up numbers at the minute. We'll be solid away, mediocre at home and finish between 7-9th with hopefully a couple of derby wins to cheer. I still dont think MON will finish the season as our boss.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal