collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 20 years ago. Dr Jo joins Villa  (Read 3986 times)

Online Chico Hamilton III

20 years ago. Dr Jo joins Villa
« on: August 04, 2010, 02:15:50 PM »
I remember getting one of those free t shirts from the Evening Mail with the slogan I'm backing Jo '90.

Nothing against the fella at all

The Independent (London)

August 4, 1990, Saturday

Football: Venglos in the vanguard; Phil Shaw finds the First Division's only foreign manager coming to terms with life on the Aston Villa training ground
BYLINE: By PHIL SHAW

SECTION: WEEKEND SPORT PAGE; Page 52

LENGTH: 444 words

JOSEF VENGLOS wants to be known as a ''tracksuit manager'', but his first day in the job as Graham Taylor's successor with Aston Villa was not one for sweaty synthetic fibres. It was the Midlands' hottest since 1911, forcing the English First Division's first foreign manager into T-shirt and shorts as he supervised a work-out in the noonday sun.
Dr Venglos - a doctor of philosophy from Czechoslovakia - attracted a three-figure crowd of mad dogs and Englishmen to Villa's training retreat in rural Warwickshire. For fans and media men alike, it was a case of seeing is believing, and Venglos was easy to spot: a chunky, surprisingly mobile figure in black, conjuring operatic images with his exhortations to get into the ''penalty aria''.

The players looked a little bemused when Venglos shouted: ''Okay, next modification.'' Those who shot wide were ordered to do five press-ups, and Paul McGrath was soon on the deck. ''Vinning goal'' was easy to understand, however, and the squad appeared happy enough after changing into garish surfing gear which someone half-seriously suggested was Villa's new away kit.
David Platt admitted to some surprise at Venglos's appointment, but denied any apprehension. ''First impressions are that he's very much like the gaffer - Graham Taylor - bright, keen and very knowledgeable.''

Doug Ellis, one chairman we can believe when he says there is a Czech in the post, introduced the 53-year-old Venglos, by now perspiring profusely in a dark suit, to the press.

He was, Ellis claimed, ''the most experienced manager in the whole of Europe'', and his appointment would stand Villa in good stead for 1992 and the anticipated movement of players between European countries. Venglos modestly protested at being called ''Dr''; he preferred to be known as Jo. In excellent English - as well as coaching the Czechoslovak national team and Sporting Lisbon, he worked in Australia - he said he felt privileged to be working for such a famous club.

''I want to continue the family atmosphere created by Graham Taylor, and his friendly, hard-working attitude towards the game,'' he added. ''I respect the players - they are proof of Aston Villa's coaching policy. I'm not coming here to change their football, but I will try to add something.''

He has wisely kept on Taylor's assistant, John Ward. His knowledge will be particularly important in the games against Bohemians in Dublin on Tuesday and at Wembley next Friday against Arsenal.

Villa finished second last season and, as one questioner pointed out, the fans expect a lot. ''I think,'' Venglos replied with a mixture of charm and bluntness, ''they are correct.''

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 02:57:20 PM »
Just a shame that our experience with a foreign manager didnt put other clubs off. The english game may have been spared whinger Wenger.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 03:57:32 PM »
Sounds quite an idyllic time. Only foreign manager in the first division. A world away from Sky Sports 4 Extra.
How did we do against Bohs that time?

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »
Quote from: "eamonn"

How did we do against Bohs that time?

We won 3-0

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 04:51:04 PM »
Anyone remember that huge stye he had on his eye during his time with us?

It meant one of his eyes was half closed in some of the photos making him look like a foreign Lord Charles. Silly arse.

Bless him.

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 07:05:23 PM »
I quite liked Venglos. It was fascinating to see a completely different way to play the game. I still remember the sight of every player funnelling back to about 10 yards from our own box when the opposition had the ball and then breaking out in a schoolboy kick and rush style when we recovered possession.
Probably ahead of his time and not given long enough, but the results were not pretty.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
We were innovators in a sense, going for a foreign manager.

Just a shame it was the wrong one.

Nice bloke, but according to Paul McGrath's book and a few other references the players just didn't get him.

Maybe if he'd had more freedom to bring in his own players (I can't believe Pisshead Penrice was his selection) the thing might have been different.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 07:54:55 AM »
We played some cracking football in the first three games, and had one point to show for it.

I think the players lost confidence from that and apart from the Inter game, it all went downhill.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 02:38:45 PM »
Problem was that no one could understand him. What a shit year that was apart from the Inter Milan home game.

Offline ez

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 06:42:35 PM »
Quote from: "LeeB"
We played some cracking football in the first three games, and had one point to show for it.

I think the players lost confidence from that and apart from the Inter game, it all went downhill.

Yes i remember going to Man City early in that season. It was an midweek evening game and although we lost we played very well and i left thinking we were in for a good season.
Venglos gets a lot of accolade but for me ranks alongside McNeil and Turner.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 06:48:24 PM »
Right man, wrong time, What he was trying was laughed at then, but all clubs do it now.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 07:36:33 PM »
And no signings in the summer!!

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 08:53:51 PM »
Yes i remember going to Man City early in that season. It was an midweek evening game and although we lost we played very well and i left thinking we were in for a good season.
Venglos gets a lot of accolade but for me ranks alongside McNeil and Turner.

Remember it well, Niall Quinn with a textbook dive to win a penalty.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 09:29:21 PM »
I believe the line in our esteemed fanzine was "tripped over an earthworm"

I don't know why I'd remember that.

Offline native

Re: 20 years ago. Dr Jo joins Villa
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 11:43:37 PM »
I remember the hype about the press conference at Villa Park being live on the radio (in those glorious days before Murdoch's Billions) to announce our new manager. Me and my brother raced home from work and gathered around the radio with our old man. After the big build up from we heard the clicking of the press cameras followed by Ellis saying the immortal words to the assembled hacks "Anybody recognise him?". In that moment all 3 of our hearts sunk before our Dad muttered "Christ! Who's the bloody idiot appointed ?". Memories...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal