collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Top 6 with signings - Top 10 with youth  (Read 7499 times)

Offline john robsons sideburns

Top 6 with signings - Top 10 with youth
« on: August 03, 2010, 12:37:12 PM »
With the big non event that has been the Transfer Window so far it has prompted me to think (always a dangerous thing)........

Would you prefer Villa to spend another £10-20million on the pretty good players that have been mentioned (Keane, Mcgeady, Ireland etc etc etc..) that whilst talented, are clearly not good enough for Champions League football, and have us finish in the same position as the past couple of years, ie..5th, 6th

OR

Would you prefer us to keep the money this year and give the young lads, the likes of Albrighton, Lichaj, Clark, Bannan, Delfouneso, Weimann etc.. their chance and blend them with the existing squad and in all probability see us finish arounf 8-10th?

I seriously think that I would rather the latter, I think I'd get a much more excited feeling by seeing the youngsters come through and prove themselves at Premier League level, and see if they can then improve further in future years than I would seeing the likes of Keane and Ireland look like world beaters one minute, then inconsistently useless the next.

What's the general consensus?

Offline mshurst

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 12:47:47 PM »
FYI; it has already been discussed here.

But a I'm not rude: I'd be happy with the young'n's, tbh. Build the squad size and get a better team overall.

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 12:48:13 PM »
Good question, but I feel that the reliance of youth would mean that the money we would lose for lower league placings could swallow up that cash, especially after a few years.

Plus the reliance on youth requires that we have exceptional talent at that level across a few players. I don't think that is the case

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 12:48:44 PM »
The latter without question.

The future of this club is its academy and what comes through it. As it should be.
In this way and probably only this way, we'll compete.

Have a nose at the article on the OS today regarding the youth players being called up to England. It reinforces this point somehwat.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 12:51:18 PM »
Yeah, give the kids a chance - for a start it means the crowd will not get on their backs as they have no big fee to justify, for another it means we can let some of the other fringe players go and get the wage bill down.

Offline Captain Trips

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 12:56:29 PM »
What if it meant the Blose finishing above us?? They have strengthened there team and have a half decent manager. Would everyone be able to put up with the piss taking we would get? I want a blend of youth and signings. Allbrighton looks ready, as does Delph (when fit) and Delfuenso. Maybe Clark too. Bannon and Licaj I am not so sure of.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 01:04:52 PM »
Quote from: "Mazrim"

The future of this club is its academy and what comes through it. As it should be.

Have a nose at the article on the OS today regarding the youth players being called up to England. It reinforces this point somehwat.

It's obviously a more "ethical" route to take, but I'm afraid that I strongly disagree that it'll enable us to compete.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 01:15:15 PM »
Quote from: "Risso"

It's obviously a more "ethical" route to take, but I'm afraid that I strongly disagree that it'll enable us to compete.

Eventually, when all the billionaires have gone to play round somebody elses end (and they will), all that will be left is what a club can produce itself.
We will, in my opinion, live off our excellent academy which we have thrown so many resources behind. All our scouting is centred around it, we have arguably the best facilities in the country, some very good youth coaches. Even the players that dont make it will be sold for a fair amount at times meaning more revenue.

There isnt any rule saying we have to buy from abroad or other clubs. Yes, its likely we'll occasionally have to but we can build very successful sides around who comes through the academy as Man Utd did. I dont see any reason why we cant do the same.
But it will take a lot of patience and time.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 02:50:57 PM »
Go with the Youth.  Next season - as you say - could see us finishing 10th, but if one or two establish themselves then the following year we could spend £20m on one player rather than trying to spread it across three.  

Arguably we could be spending £40m as this season's spending would be negligable.

In addition the ones that don't make it would probably see their value increase just because they've played 20 games.

I really like the idea.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 03:02:37 PM »
You'll never win anything with kids.

Offline inside right

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 03:09:36 PM »
Well said Maidstone but it worked for old red nose
didnt it

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 03:12:49 PM »
If we sacrifice league position to play the kids then we're going to find it almost impossible to keep players like Gabby and Ashley Young.

The youngsters should get an opportunity if they are good enough to be playing in a side with top 4 ambitions, to do that they need to make the most of the chances they will be given in cup games.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
top6 with signings or top 10 with youth
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 04:05:28 PM »
I would certainly give youth a chance that is the future way to go.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 04:08:38 PM »
Quote from: "Risso"

Eventually, when all the billionaires have gone to play round somebody elses end (and they will), all that will be left is what a club can produce itself.
We will, in my opinion, live off our excellent academy which we have thrown so many resources behind. All our scouting is centred around it, we have arguably the best facilities in the country, some very good youth coaches. Even the players that dont make it will be sold for a fair amount at times meaning more revenue.
There isnt any rule saying we have to buy from abroad or other clubs. Yes, its likely we'll occasionally have to but we can build very successful sides around who comes through the academy as Man Utd did. I dont see any reason why we cant do the same.
But it will take a lot of patience and time.

Goes to show what a visionary old Dougie was then!

Offline pedro25

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 04:10:33 PM »
First way for me please, if the kids are good enough, ala Gabby, they will breakthrough anyway.  A few years ago we gave the kids a chance, Whittingham, Davis, gardner, Cahill, Ridgewell etc, they did ok but I didn't find it particularly exciting.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal