collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Number 9 shirt  (Read 12123 times)

Offline newtonsballs

• GM : 21.02.2020
Number 9 shirt
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 03:22:17 PM »
Give it to Gabby - he knows what it means

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Number 9 shirt
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 03:24:57 PM »
Big John

With Keane at 10 if/ when he pitches up.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Number 9 shirt
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 03:28:56 PM »
Carew.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

Number 9 shirt
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 03:33:08 PM »
Doesn't Gabby wear 11?

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
Number 9 shirt
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 03:48:53 PM »
Tell me if I’m wrong here, but due to the fact that MFH didn’t play a single minutes football last season for us, would that make it the first season since numbers were introduced that the Villa haven’t fielded a single player wearing the number 9?

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Number 9 shirt
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 03:50:37 PM »
Has to be, surely? They should have given it to me for a season for all he achieved.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Number 9 shirt
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 04:10:37 PM »
Heskey.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

Number 9 shirt
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 06:26:09 PM »
I wouldn't say that our number 9 shirt is particularly 'famous'.  Although we have a great history the Villa number 9 is not something that many Villa fans never mind other teams fans would ever think of.  Our number 5 has arguably been worn by more 'famous' names.  We rarely ever make big enough signings up front to put into a number 9 shirt.  Harewood for example..... Hardly the Brazil number 10 shirt.....

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
Number 9 shirt
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 06:30:49 PM »
new signing or one of our kid Weinmann.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

Number 9 shirt
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 07:06:53 PM »
Carew should be the number 9.  Number 10 looks wrong on him.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
Number 9 shirt
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 07:12:38 PM »
Quote from: "Holtenderinthesky"
I wouldn't say that our number 9 shirt is particularly 'famous'.  Although we have a great history the Villa number 9 is not something that many Villa fans never mind other teams fans would ever think of.  Our number 5 has arguably been worn by more 'famous' names.  We rarely ever make big enough signings up front to put into a number 9 shirt.  Harewood for example..... Hardly the Brazil number 10 shirt.....
I disagree about the no 9's history. What about Harry Hampton, Pongo Waring, Trevor Ford, Gerry Hitchens, Derek Dougan, Andy Gray, Andy Lochhead, Dion Dublin, Peter Withe...?

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Number 9 shirt
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 07:17:12 PM »
Quote from: "frank"
I disagree about the no 9's history. What about Harry Hampton, Pongo Waring, Trevor Ford, Gerry Hitchens, Derek Dougan, Andy Gray, Andy Lochhead, Dion Dublin, Peter Withe...?

Aside from Dublin, it's doubtful that any of those names mean much to anyone other than the Villa fans in the playing squad. I doubt Keane, for example, gives a flying shit about Gerry Hitchens.

Offline Leighton

Number 9 shirt
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 07:44:20 PM »
Quote from: "curiousorange"

Aside from Dublin, it's doubtful that any of those names mean much to anyone other than the Villa fans in the playing squad. I doubt Keane, for example, gives a flying shit about Gerry Hitchens.

Well using that basis then I am sure that many of the players give a shit about the number fives of years gone by.
Though on the other hand, I doubt many footballers of this day and age give a monkeys about the history of any of the clubs that they sig for. Only if they have some sort of boyhood allegiance to them.
But to say that the number nine shirt isn’t important or to imply that it has no real great significance with the Villa faithful is a pretty stranger thing to read on these pages.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Number 9 shirt
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 07:51:23 PM »
Quote from: "Leighton"

Well using that basis then I am sure that many of the players give a shit about the number fives of years gone by.
Though on the other hand, I doubt many footballers of this day and age give a monkeys about the history of any of the clubs that they sig for. Only if they have some sort of boyhood allegiance to them.
But to say that the number nine shirt isn’t important or to imply that it has no real great significance with the Villa faithful is a pretty stranger thing to read on these pages.

I 100% agree with you mate, but you've just confirmed the point - the significance of either number in Villa folklore is not lost on many of us but to any of the cads playing today, the only thing it means is an indicator of where they might be in the pecking order at the club.

Offline Leighton

Number 9 shirt
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 07:57:23 PM »
I 100% agree with you mate, but you've just confirmed the point - the significance of either number in Villa folklore is not lost on many of us but to any of the cads playing today, the only thing it means is an indicator of where they might be in the pecking order at the club.

To the players I agree to a large degree, but when it comes to the fans I still think that enough of us, certainly those old enough to still hark on about the days of the good old numbers 1-11, all see the significance and have great memories of certain players in the number 5, 7, 9, 10 etc…

EDIT Sorry curiousorange, I have just pretty much repeated what you have said.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal