collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: O'Neill joins Villa!!!!  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

O'Neill joins Villa!!!!
« on: August 02, 2010, 01:33:34 PM »
4 years ago this week......

The Daily Telegraph (LONDON)

August 5, 2006 Saturday

O'Neill arrival sparks Villa optimism

BYLINE: John Percy

LENGTH: 546 words

MARTIN O'NEILL'S shoulders have become so accustomed to the weight of expectancy from his time at Celtic that they should now resemble those of an Olympic gold medal winner, but that pressure will pale in comparison after just one hour at Villa Park last night.

For if O'Neill was ever hopeful of easing his way back into management, after 15 months out of the firing line, nearly a thousand supporters cramming the car park and a chairman hailing him as his greatest signing in nearly five decades made it patently clear that he is seen as the man to finally revive one of the sleeping giants in the moribund Midlands.

The 54-year-old Northern Irishman was finally confirmed as the new manager of Aston Villa yesterday at a crowded press conference. He signed a 12-month rolling contract and was charged with the task of first transforming the club from relegation strugglers last season to a stable top-flight outfit, and then beyond.

The halcyon days of European Cup glory still convince success-starved supporters that they deserve better.

While the uncertainty surrounding the takeover continues to swirl around the club, with Randy Lerner understood to be closing in on a pounds 64 million takeover by September, O'Neill's arrival has alleviated fears of a difficult forthcoming season and created a new wave of optimism.

It is pressure that O'Neill is ready to embrace, however monumental. "I have to admit that I am petrified by the challenge but this is an absolutely fantastic football club and I am raring to go,'' he said.

"I've got to prove myself to the Villa people that I can do the job. I think I can but that's easy talk and it's not going to be easy. I want to do well and I wouldn't be sat here if I didn't. If Aston Villa are to have a bit of success in the coming years I would like be part of that.''

O'Neill, whose trusted deputies John Robertson and Steve Walford have also been appointed, will fly to Germany this morning and meet his new squad before the friendly with Hannover later today, with goalkeeping coach Eric Steele taking temporary charge, before assessing how much surgery will be needed before the start of the Premiership campaign.

Celtic midfielder Stilian Petrov will probably team up again with O'Neill by securing a pounds 3 million move while Milan Baros, Gareth Barry and Juan Pablo Angel will need to be sweet-talked after raising concerns about the club's future direction.

If Lerner completes his takeover, an estimated pounds 20 million will be made available to the new manager. "There are funds available and I will be using them,'' he confirmed. "I wouldn't say I can get more out of the current players than anybody else but in a couple of weeks I will have a better idea of strengths and weaknesses.''

With the management situation resolved, Ellis will attempt to complete the takeover by next month at the latest. After only admitting that talks were "ongoing'', the 82-year-old could not hide his satisfaction at silencing his critics by bringing the former Leicester manager - his 14th since taking the helm - to the West Midlands.

"This is my greatest signing since I've been here, and I hope Martin is here for a lifetime,'' he said. "I'm absolutely delighted and though we had 12 applications, he was the only man I wanted.''

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
O'Neill joins Villa!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 02:39:55 PM »
Four years. The first since Saunders.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
O'Neill joins Villa!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 03:30:04 PM »
Was in Malaysia when I heard the news.

Minimal TV coverage over there, so I had to rely on H&V and a recording BE made of the Press Conference.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
O'Neill joins Villa!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 03:40:15 PM »
Quote from: "dave.woodhall"
Four years. The first since Saunders.

He has gone well over the the average time for staying in the job, no wonder theres such restlessness about MON on a thread elsewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aston_Villa_F.C._managers

The ones that have been here the longest have generally been the most successful. Its the old question, were they in the job a long while because they got results or were they successful because they were given enough time to do the job ?

PS. Looking at the stats on that wikipedia page, if you combine together Graham Taylors two periods of management then our most successful manager in terms of win percentage in the whole post war period was Tony Barton.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
O'Neill joins Villa!!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 07:35:05 PM »
It was a great day. I shed a tear when I saw the reception he got on the news. It felt like the sun was coming out after an endless winter.

And then to see Adrian Chiles getting interviewed about it and looking pig-sick was a very satisfying cherry.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal