collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 06:32:28 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:32:23 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The end is nigh.  (Read 120003 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
The end is nigh.
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 02:05:13 AM »
Quote from: "dave clark five"
Shall we just say that all fifteen at our table tonight dislike O'Neill. A small percentage cheered him. He is not popular.

And? I’m in a minority of one amongst the group I travel with when it comes to liking O’Neill.

Its all about arseholes and opinions though isn't it?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
The end is nigh.
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 02:07:12 AM »
The "do you go?" card is often played, and I think it's nonsense, especially for a pre-season friendly. But you have to accept that there is nowhere in the world at this moment where so many hardcore Villa supporters are gathered as there is in Portugal, and if a lot of them are disenchanted with the manager that has to be taken into account as a worrying sign.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
The end is nigh.
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 02:07:57 AM »
Quote from: "toronto villa"
In any case, these things will play themselves out this season in my opinion. If the results aren't there, or the home gates begin to slide, then the writing will be on the wall. I happen to think this is a massive year for MON, and if certain things don't improve in certain areas then I think change is inevitable.

Agreed but I think he'll be gone by the end of the season. It's not a question of 'if' but 'when'.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
The end is nigh.
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 02:09:02 AM »
Quote from: "Mark Kelly"
Quote from: "dave.woodhall"
It's also from someone who is out in Portugal, so has been listening to supporters for the past few days.

what was their reaction the day before I wonder?

I'm not saying there's not dissent, but it's hardly as if the fans who travelled on a pre-season piss up to Portugal represent any balanced sample on the day of defeat in a friendly versus a Champions League team that just won their league again.

Again? They've won their league twice in the last 15 years.
I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the opinion of fans that have been following the Villa home and away for the last 40 years.

I didn't stress the word "again" did I? I am correct that they won it again, just like we would have mentioned winning the League Cup "again" had we done so last season. Their still one the most famous teams in Europe, and historically the best team in Portugese history.

I haven't for one second dismissed their views. You've jumped to that conclusion yourself. What I am contesting is that represent a fair sample or indeed a high percentage of anything.

Online Toronto Villa

The end is nigh.
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 02:14:21 AM »
Quote from: "dave.woodhall"
The "do you go?" card is often played, and I think it's nonsense, especially for a pre-season friendly. But you have to accept that there is nowhere in the world at this moment where so many hardcore Villa supporters are gathered as there is in Portugal, and if a lot of them are disenchanted with the manager that has to be taken into account as a worrying sign.

Dave, I won't argue that at all. But it still doesn't represent a high percentage, as much as us internet warriors stand for much more than this is our opinion on the world of Villa. I might take this a little more seriously has we started the season badly, that this was a Europa League game, and we were playing mundane football on top of it all. I just cannot take emotional opinons seriously, because that same group would not have been anywhere near as vociferous yesterday.

Like I was saying to Mark, I think this is massive year for the current management team at Villa. I think that the board want to grow the global Villa "brand" faster than MON is allowing for. 4 years has given us stability, but there needs to be some end product.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
The end is nigh.
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 02:15:42 AM »
Sorry TV, it's just the way I read it. Fortunately Benfica have been crap for so long, using the word "again" is almost like saying Accrington Stanley have won the league again. Well not quite but almost.

How you go about getting a balanced sample is anybody's guess.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
The end is nigh.
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 02:16:07 AM »
Quote from: "Ads"

I'm not dismissing their "importance" for being able to travel to a pre-season friendly. I certainly didn't think you'd ever go down the "better fan" road, Dave because that's what it appears you're suggesting.

He’s not, he’s being ironical innit. But I don’t think it really applies to you, as I doubt you’ve ever used it, with respect, given you obviously not being a tit and also living in Toronto. Although if you do follow The Villa home and away I will say you’re in the top one of dedicated Villa fans.

I have tremendous respect for those fans who happen to travel with the club. I used to do it myself when I lived in Birmingham. I don't think for second though that their views or opinions are any more important than those who do not, or cannot travel. Which is why I'll contest the "high percentage" comment.

In any case, these things will play themselves out this season in my opinion. If the results aren't there, or the home gates begin to slide, then the writing will be on the wall. I happen to think this is a massive year for MON, and if certain things don't improve in certain areas then I think change is inevitable.

Just for the record, I did not say that my opinions were more important than anyone elses, regardless of how the cantankerous VillaDawg sees it.

Online Toronto Villa

The end is nigh.
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 02:17:04 AM »

Agreed but I think he'll be gone by the end of the season. It's not a question of 'if' but 'when'.

You may well be right, and he may not have to be pushed either. I've stated before that I'm no longer sure that MON is the manager to take us forward, but he was the perfect choice at the time of his arrival. In the process of evolution he may have run his course, but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

Online Toronto Villa

The end is nigh.
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 02:19:22 AM »
Sorry TV, it's just the way I read it. Fortunately Benfica have been crap for so long, using the word "again" is almost like saying Accrington Stanley have won the league again. Well not quite but almost.

How you go about getting a balanced sample is anybody's guess.

Not sure you can Mark because this game naturally creates strong opinions and bias. But I think taking the opinion of fans after a heavy defeat would be the furthest thing from balanced.

Online Toronto Villa

The end is nigh.
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 02:20:22 AM »
Quote from: "dave clark five"
Quote from: "Ads"

I'm not dismissing their "importance" for being able to travel to a pre-season friendly. I certainly didn't think you'd ever go down the "better fan" road, Dave because that's what it appears you're suggesting.

He’s not, he’s being ironical innit. But I don’t think it really applies to you, as I doubt you’ve ever used it, with respect, given you obviously not being a tit and also living in Toronto. Although if you do follow The Villa home and away I will say you’re in the top one of dedicated Villa fans.

I have tremendous respect for those fans who happen to travel with the club. I used to do it myself when I lived in Birmingham. I don't think for second though that their views or opinions are any more important than those who do not, or cannot travel. Which is why I'll contest the "high percentage" comment.

Just for the record, I did not say that my opinions were more important than anyone elses, regardless of how the cantankerous VillaDawg sees it.

No sweat mate. I know you didn't.

Online ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
The end is nigh.
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 06:28:27 AM »
Funny when you think about it that the only boring part of Martin is the football we play. Doesn't match his personality somehow.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
The end is nigh.
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 07:06:43 AM »
Is our football really that boring ? Im not saying we are the most entertaining team in the country but to me Ive seen much more boring Villa teams.

The years with the most hated manager ever were just a disgrace, I remember little entertaining during John Gregorys time outside of Merson, and if ever a manager fashioned teams that were the antithesis of his own playing style then it was Brian Little.

Yes we are a bit predictable making it sometimes hard to break teams down and if we are ever to make the next step this needs to be addressed. But we play with speed and we play with width, when its working that gets me off my seat during the game.

Its a bit unfashionable these days to say you are reasonably happy with someone or something, but right at this moment in time and for the whole time he has been here I have been happy with Martin ONeill as our manager.

Offline eastie

The end is nigh.
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 07:34:24 AM »
Yes andy I think our football is boring, especially at home we are one dimensional, cannot seem to vary our game and have no real plan except get it out wide .

O neill is too old school and the modern game has changed but he seems stuck in a timewarp, his tactics, team selections and lack of substitutions are dubious to say the least and he seems a rather prickly character who doesn't like being criticised or questioned.

His transfer dealings are very hit and miss and he seems to have his favourites, I do not think things are great behind the scenes and I believe it is only a matter of time before his reign ends at our club-certainly worth a bet on the 1st manager to go this season.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
The end is nigh.
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 07:57:21 AM »
Now Hughes has taken Fulham it would be interesting to see who would replace him, though I would think Jol would find us more difficult to resist if we wanted a more progressive manager.

The most interesting thing is the article in the Telegraph where he has inadvertently admitted he has no control over the transfer of Milner now. That is a significant change in the running of the club for the first time since he has been manager. He will feel the squeeze if we start poorly, and it will be his own fault.

Online andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
The end is nigh.
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 08:21:29 AM »
I know a few who are in Portugal and I would say the majority of them are not happy with MON. I find it a bit odd as most of our better performances are away from home which would  appease them you would think.

A lot of it stems from the Moscow thing and especially the alleged arrogance showed by MON in his speech at the 'lets make up' dinner afterwards when I gather he effectively dismissed anyone elses opinion on how to run our club.

The Europe thing annoys them in as much as they are very commited fans who enjoy their trips away and can't understand why MON would throw away an opportunity for more by playing weak sides. A lot of people went to Prague Hamburg etc and haven't really forgiven him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal