collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Marvellous Marc  (Read 3466 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Marvellous Marc
« on: August 01, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
From Pravda:

Steve Sidwell has singled out Marc Albrighton as the star performer during the 2010-11 pre-season campaign as Villa gear up for the Guadiana Cup decider against Benfica tonight.

The 20-year-old midfielder has cut an impressive figure to date as Martin O'Neill's squad build-up to the forthcoming Barclays Premier League season.

Two stunning goals from Sidwell and Albrighton were among the many plus points of Villa's impressive 3-1 win over Feyenoord in the Guadiana Cup on Saturday.

Now Villa must beat Benfica to lift the trophy and make it a double, following their success in the Peace Cup 12 months ago.

Sidwell admits he has been delighted to see a number of claret and blue youngsters impressing during the training camp and giving themselves a chance of playing a part this term.

And he thinks Albrighton has as good a chance as any of them.

"Marc was bright all through last season training with us and he has stepped into the games this pre-season and he has shone out of everyone really," said the 27-year-old.

"He performed well [against Feyenoord] and he set up a couple of goals as well. He got a spectacular goal himself so he can be pleased.

"I am 27 now, but I feel like I am one of the younger ones out there, but when you do get a couple of youngsters out there playing well its fantastic. It's good to see the fans getting behind them as well because they all want to see home grown talent coming through as well."

The Guadiana Cup reaches its climax this evening when Villa take on Benfica (ko 21.15pm).

The Portuguese champions overcame Feyenoord 4-1 on Friday. Despite Benfica having an extra day of rest, Sidwell believes Villa's extra fitness work during pre-season will stand them in good stead.

"It's a big test," added the midfielder.

"This close to the start of the season these are the sort of big games that you want to get yourself up to match speed and Benfica will surely be that as will Valencia next week.

"I'm sure it will be a big test because they have had a day's rest inbetween games so they'll be fresher than us. Given the fitness factor we have got it I'm sure we will give them a good game."

Offline eastie

Marvellous Marc
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 05:48:21 PM »
Deserves to start the season at the expense of downing- a spell on the bench may do downing the world of good.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Marvellous Marc
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »
He's had a good pre-season. But so has Sidwell. Means nothing.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Marvellous Marc
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 06:01:19 PM »
Tonight will be a better test. Beating Feyenoord's kids yesterday is one thing, it will be interesting to see him up against his double, Benfica's Coentrão.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Marvellous Marc
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 03:06:01 PM »
Can you really see Marc or any of the bright parks kids breaking into the oh so (yawn) familiar  Young  / Petrov / Milner / downing (yawn)

I am not suprised that a few of them have not already got pissed off

Offline Mazrim

Marvellous Marc
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »
He's destined for first team greatness like the sun is destined to rise tomorrow.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Marvellous Marc
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 03:21:41 PM »
Quote from: "PaulTheVillan"
He's had a good pre-season. But so has Sidwell. Means nothing.

I assume you are discounting last night's effort in this statement.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Marvellous Marc
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 03:23:23 PM »
Hope he gets a prologued stint in the starting XI.

If we're being more careful with funds it makes sense that we should hold fire on signing someone for a position where we might already be covered.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Marvellous Marc
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 03:28:11 PM »
Quote from: "KevinGage"

If we're being more careful with funds it makes sense that we should hold fire on signing someone for a position where we might already be covered.

Then why oh why is MON not instantly putting a stop to this McGeady nonsense. I for one do not know a lot about him but i know he plays in Marcs favoured position - so instead of looking at a plyer most of the informed on here state we do not need why doe MON not give Marc a shot in the arm and say publically that we do not need him as we have a perfect player already here and he is part of the teams future

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Marvellous Marc
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 03:38:20 PM »
Quote from: "Hookeysmith"
Quote from: "KevinGage"

Then why oh why is MON not instantly putting a stop to this McGeady nonsense. I for one do not know a lot about him but i know he plays in Marcs favoured position - so instead of looking at a plyer most of the informed on here state we do not need why doe MON not give Marc a shot in the arm and say publically that we do not need him as we have a perfect player already here and he is part of the teams future

I don't think we can read too much into what the manager does/doesn't say on transfers, although I agree the McGeady thing wasn't dismissed and may have some truth to it.  As for Marc himself, what Martin says to him privately probably has more of a 'shot in the arm than anything.

As it goes, I don't see why we can't do both - sign another winger and give Albrighton more game time.  Nobody is suggesting we don't sign another striker becuase the Fonz is coming through, yet having 4 players for two positions out wide is seen as restricting him?

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Marvellous Marc
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 03:52:08 PM »
Marc has looked a lot more convincing though, both this summer and last. Holding his own against top class opposition (albeit opposition early into their pre season prep).

It might be a bit of a gamble, but imagine the fillip it would give him if he was told "I was looking at a right winger, but you've got the gig. Play well and the position is yours."

Similar to when Little sold Saunders and put his faith in Yorke.

We've still got Ash or Downing to rotate those positions if it doesn't come off. And some of NRC's best form for us was as a Right Mid early in the 08/09 campaign. Different style of play, obviously. But if we need to be more combative a good option to have.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal