collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Marc Albrighton hails former wing wonder John Robertson  (Read 4372 times)

Offline adrenachrome

Marc Albrighton hails former wing wonder John Robertson
« on: August 01, 2010, 01:40:11 PM »

Aug 1 2010 by Mathew Kendrick, Sunday Mercury

ASTON Villa wide boy Marc Albrighton loves learning his trade from John Robertson – after being made to worship the wing wonder ever since he could dribble.

Albrighton is closing in on a more regular first team role next season after impressing the Villa management with his starring performances during pre-season.

And the 20-year-old winger admits it is a joy to benefit from the experience of claret and blue coach Robertson on the Bodymoor Heath training pitches.

Albrighton’s dad Terry is a staunch Nottingham Forest fan and cheered Robbo on during the European Cup-winning glory years of 1979 and 1980.

The Villa hopeful has grown up watching grainy video replays of Robertson’s memorable final winner against Hamburg in Madrid 30 years ago.

And the Tamworth terrier admits training under the tutelage of Martin O’Neill’s right hand man has helped him improve his game in recent years.

“I’ve seen highlights of him playing a few times – my dad Terry’s got a few videos,” said Albrighton.

“He used to go and watch Forest all the time when he was a young lad so when Martin O’Neill and John Robertson came to Villa he was over the moon because he knew that could help me.

“I’ve watched clips of John Robertson and I couldn’t wish for a better coach to learn from, playing in the position that I do.

“He’s got the medals to prove how good he was and I think, if you ask anyone in that era, they’d say so.”

Albrighton revealed that Robertson still shows flashes of his former brilliance on Villa’s practice pitches.

But the academy graduate admits that the Scot lets his mouth rather than his feet do the talking nowadays.

“I think most people would have said that, back in his day, he was one of the best wingers around,” said Albrighton.

“He doesn’t ping too many balls on the training ground just lately but he does some passing drills with us and you can see that he once had it.

“He’s always offering advice and telling me how to bring more things into my game and from a player with two European Cup medals, I won’t go far wrong if I listen to him.”

With his Clough-buff father’s Forest love affair, Albrighton was brought up to respect the halcyon days at the City Ground.

But the wing whizzkid is claret and blue through and through and is buzzing at being around Villa’s senior side.

“As soon as Villa came in for me there was only one option in my mind and that was to come here,” said Albrighton, who joined Villa as a schoolboy.

“Instead of playing local football I thought my football would progress a lot more at a professional football club.

“I’m a boyhood Villa fan so I couldn’t ask for anything more.

“My mom and dad are over the moon with how things have gone.”

Albrighton has been in fine form during pre-season, with impressive displays against Peterborough, Bohemians and Walsall.

And he hopes playing in the Guadiana Cup this weekend will strengthen his claims of a place in O’Neill’s Premier League plans.

Albrighton impressed during last summer’s Peace Cup triumph in Spain.

That led to cameo roles in the Premier League, FA Cup and Carling Cup and set him up for a potential breakthrough season next term.

“I’m looking forward to it and it’s great getting a week’s training out there,” he said. “It’s a nice change of scenery and coming into the games I want to play football so, if I’m selected,s I’ll try to perform well.

“If not, I’ll wait for my opportunity and hopefully I’ll get some playing time.

“It’s surreal playing these sorts of teams. Last year it was teams like Juventus and Porto, players like Del Piero and Cannavaro, and to play against players like that is unreal at 20-years-old.

“This time around against Benfica and Feyenoord it’s going to be the same because they’ve got class players who’ve been there and done it.

“I really enjoyed myself out in Spain last year, it was a great experience for me. I can’t wait to test myself again against these sorts of teams. It’s a real learning curve.”

"the Tamworth terrier admits training under the tutelage ..."?

Either Matt has had a cheeky bet with someone on who can write the most preposterous alliterative phrase, or he has been on those purple pills that Eminem used to bang on about.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 02:50:45 PM »
I bet he's got one of those 'word of the day' calendars.
As for Albrighton, the kid's going to be the new Chico Hamilton.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 03:14:05 PM »
Expect to see an article in the next matchday magazine referencing Albrighton smoking 40 a day, and how it's improved his game in the near future.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 03:16:10 PM »
That is high praise Mark Chico was one our best. My favourite player when I started watching the Villa.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 03:28:19 PM »
I doubt her can understand a word Robertson says. When JR was interviewed with MON in that Clough documentary, I was shocked than having spent over the last 40 years in England, he still has the strongest of accents and barely understood a thing.

One thing that can't be argued with is what a superb winger Robertson was. Saying that, he was only the second best winger from his village.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »
Quote from: "aftab235"
That is high praise Mark Chico was one our best. My favourite player when I started watching the Villa.

Of all our youngsters, Albrighton is the one that I really think will push through. If he can maintain his form, I'd certainly have him ahead of Downing.

As mad as it may sound, I half expected a cheeky 500k bid from Chelsea for him this summer. They were raving about him this season when our Reserves played, despite having a very strong youth set up themselves, he was the stand-out talent.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 05:27:31 PM »
Well it'll certainly save us a few bob if he does push through.  Not that I want to sound like Doug Ellis or anything.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 05:29:36 PM »
£500k? That would be cheeky!

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
MON would ask for £30m.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 05:40:29 PM »
I hope he gets a decent chance this season. I think he has what it takes and it's good to know he takes his game that seriously and has an ideal standard that he wants to emulate.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
allbrighton
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 06:07:26 PM »
I really think marc allbrighton will save us money in the transfer market as i think this will be is season if he continues as he as started.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 06:29:18 PM »
Albrighton, Fonz, Lichaj, Clarke and Gary Gardner could potentially save or make us a fortune. Then there's Weimman and the Swiss 'keeper. No guarantees of course.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 06:51:38 PM »
Is the momentum for Albrighton's inclusion greater this season than last?  

He definitely deserves a chance to shine as for me he's shown more promise than the Fonz.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
He reminds me of Merson and I don't just mean his big nose. Technically gifted and one of the best crossers in the game. I do wonder whether MON regrets buying Downing and whether he has the courage to drop him to give Albrighton a run in the team.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 07:12:49 PM »
Quote from: "Dante Lavelli"
Is the momentum for Albrighton's inclusion greater this season than last?  

He definitely deserves a chance to shine as for me he's shown more promise than the Fonz.

while i respect your opinion, i cant say that i fully agree with it...

delfouneso has played a lot more for the first team at a younger age, and in my opinion, to greater effect than albrighton...

i like albrighton, especially his delivery, but for me, delfouneso's all round game is far stronger, at a younger age...

both are fine young players though, and i would love to see both given more game time... same with ciaran clark... its great to see these players progressing at the villa... very exciting...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal