collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The perception of Villa  (Read 18802 times)

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
The perception of Villa
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2010, 09:07:30 PM »
We're still (just about) one of those sides who can struggle/ go off the radar for a few years but when we look like we're about to bounce back generate column inches.

Similar to Everton, in that regard. When either of us do well it's a big club returning to former glories, rather than a plucky underdog upsetting the natural order.

That could change if we continue to tread water though.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
The perception of Villa
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
The most noticeable thing about this thread is that all our big-club justification seems to be based on history. And modern football supporters don't care much about history.

Offline peter w

The perception of Villa
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2010, 09:29:05 PM »
Modern football fans? Those under 20?

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
The perception of Villa
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2010, 09:31:48 PM »
Quote from: "dave.woodhall"
The most noticeable thing about this thread is that all our big-club justification seems to be based on history. And modern football supporters don't care much about history.

That's true to an extent.

The biggest sides or the sides with the most ambition talk about what they are going to achieve.

The others console themselves with history and past glories- if they have a history worth talking about.

Online DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
The perception of Villa
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2010, 09:40:07 PM »
Sky don't care about history pre 1991.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
The perception of Villa
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2010, 09:43:59 PM »
Most non-Villa fans I know don't mind or quite like us as a club.  I dont think they see us as being big or important enough to dislike us.  They also seem to rate O'Neill, as indeed,  did I before he joined us and before I took a closer look at his record and methods.

As for ideas above our station, maybe we do put too much emphasis on our history but when you look at our potential why shouldn't we be ambitious?  We are the biggest and most successful club in a region with a dearth of successful football clubs, we have a catchment area of probably 5 millon people within 50 miles of VP, maybe more.  Not enough of those people see us as an attractive enough proposition to commit to supporting us.  If we had a good exciting team playing scintillating football with good technique, with a few top players to raise the profile, it should see us easily fiiling the stadium and having a waiting list for tickets.  A bit like Arsenal did when they brought Wenger in, or like
Newcastle for a few seasons under Keegan the first time.  Unfortunately I dont think we will tap into that potential with Martin O'Neill's unambitious, safety first approach to transfers, and his workmanlike one-dimensional football.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
The perception of Villa
« Reply #81 on: August 01, 2010, 09:50:31 PM »
I live and work in Reading and the view of Villa there is they are a good team with a good manager, and plenty of good young English players.  They recognise how difficult it is to break into the top 4 in this Sky era but they see Villa as one of the few clubs capable of doing so.

Martin O'Niell's reputation is still very much intact there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal