collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Has football run out of money?  (Read 10883 times)

Offline old man villa fan

Has football run out of money?
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 09:46:21 PM »
Quote from: "peter w"
Every season its the same. Buying players at times is a lot like buying a house in that tehre are many parties in the chain. Milner going to Man City will mean Player A comes to us, and Team B then sign Player B, and so on. If we, or man City pull-out then the chain breaks but there is enough will on both side sto get it done. Its probably the minor details that are being finalised as we speak.

However, it appears as though it is just Man City with money this time around.

Spurs have just made Champions League, why are they not spending.

Liverpool have a new manager but seem to be scratching around at the lower end of the market.

Man Utd have (supposedly!) the bulk of the Renaldo money burning a hole in their pocket.

Chelsea have an ageing side in need of surgery and even the Russian gasoline crook is not splashing the cash.

Arsenal are just being Arsenal, so no change there.

With the exception of Arsenal, all of the above teams have reason to buy and buy big but they are not.  Why?

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 09:49:31 PM »
There are people so wealthy on this planet, that they can buy a football club and instantly wipe out their debts. Chelsea, Man City and now possibly Liverpool. Not many queuing up to save Southend United.

Great for them, but shit for everyone else. I'm talking about the lower half of the PL and the football league. If anyone's going to crash and burn, it won't be the top clubs.

Because these 'bond villain' type owners have a vision and see a future of franchising, super leagues, European super duper leagues, online gambling, and mega money TV deals. Only the super rich clubs need apply and only the affluent supporters are welcome.

Offline peter w

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 09:50:29 PM »
Don't get me wrong there is less money around but its worth noting that our clubs have spent the last few years giving vast sums of money to overseas clubs so that theyhave money themselves.

In saying that Real and Barca will always have money. Italy has had a resurgence though even though not many people would still put Inter as being in the top 5 in Europe.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 10:25:17 AM »
So my question was

If you name your squad of 25 what happens to the players not picked?

Do they have a year off on full pay?

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2010, 10:30:57 AM »
Quote from: "Hookeysmith"
So my question was

Yep.

Pretty much was Harewood and Salifou have had for the past 2 years.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2010, 10:35:25 AM »
So my question was

The 25-man squad only counts for the league, so they could still play cup and European games.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2010, 11:37:17 AM »
Quote from: "John M"
So my question was

The 25-man squad only counts for the league, so they could still play cup and European games.

My God no wonder clubs are not throwing the cash around - even the smallest Prem squad will have more than 25 high earning pro's on their books

I bet Chelsea and Liverpool even the coaches dont know half of the players that are on the books

Offline Bigmelonface

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2010, 01:27:05 PM »
I wouldn't say football has run out of money, if anything there has never been as much money in football ever, the problem is that there are far to many ordinary players on ridiculous wages.

Offline Dan England

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2010, 01:38:15 PM »
Quote from: "old man villa fan"
Quote from: "peter w"
Every season its the same. Buying players at times is a lot like buying a house in that tehre are many parties in the chain. Milner going to Man City will mean Player A comes to us, and Team B then sign Player B, and so on. If we, or man City pull-out then the chain breaks but there is enough will on both side sto get it done. Its probably the minor details that are being finalised as we speak.

However, it appears as though it is just Man City with money this time around.

Spurs have just made Champions League, why are they not spending.

Maybe they don't want to do a Leeds?

Liverpool have a new manager but seem to be scratching around at the lower end of the market.

Hicks and Gillette are about to sell the club

Man Utd have (supposedly!) the bulk of the Renaldo money burning a hole in their pocket.

They also have £800m woth of debt they are only just servicing

Chelsea have an ageing side in need of surgery and even the Russian gasoline crook is not splashing the cash.

Abramovich has said several times that Chelsea will need to be self financing as he won't continue to bank roll them.
Arsenal are just being Arsenal, so no change there.

With the exception of Arsenal, all of the above teams have reason to buy and buy big but they are not.  Why?

Plus it is a World Cup year which are always slow moving summers for early transfers and the worst recession for 80 odd years.
[/b]

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »
From the thread title I've got this mental image of football trying to sell us his 'last copy' of the Big Issue then using the proceeds to give John Terry another pay rise.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2010, 02:52:41 AM »
Quote from: "Bigmelonface"
I wouldn't say football has run out of money, if anything there has never been as much money in football ever, the problem is that there are far to many ordinary players on ridiculous wages.

You're right in saying that there has never been as much money in football as now but there is no liquidity to fund transfers of players.  That is why I asked the question "has football run out of money".

Again, you are right in that too much money is being paid to players.  Also, significant money is being spent by the top clubs on players from outside England.  Both of these are draining money out of football.  Football only seems to be surviving on Sky money and new owners coming in.

The news of HMRC losing their case against Portsmouth and their comment that they are going to look at PL clubs more closely is bound to have a negative effect on the money in the game (although probably a positive effect on the game itself).

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2010, 08:55:26 AM »
Often you hear about the huge wages and then I was hearing Big Sam moaning about tax in this country so I went and used a salary calcualtor on this site
http://www.i-resign.com/uk/financialcentre/tax_calculator.asp

Using Luke Young as an example ,he reportedly turned down £37k a week at Liverpool.Puting it in to the salary calculator that equals £19k ish a week take home which whilst obviously still good is quite shocking to see how much the tax man gets !

Unless I'm being totally naive and players/clubs have some ways of paying players in other ways to avoid tax.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2010, 10:16:33 PM »
Going completely off on a tangent is anyone worried about the fact that Liverpool seem to be getting bought out by the Investment Arm of the Chinese government (according to The Times)?

They will go from being a difficult competitor to do better than to a downright impossible one.

Far from running out of money the Man Cities and Liverpools are heating their houses with bonfires of £100 notes.

Offline Bigmelonface

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2010, 11:32:38 PM »
Quote from: "old man villa fan"
Quote from: "Bigmelonface"

You're right in saying that there has never been as much money in football as now but there is no liquidity to fund transfers of players.  That is why I asked the question "has football run out of money".

Again, you are right in that too much money is being paid to players.  Also, significant money is being spent by the top clubs on players from outside England.  Both of these are draining money out of football.  Football only seems to be surviving on Sky money and new owners coming in.

The news of HMRC losing their case against Portsmouth and their comment that they are going to look at PL clubs more closely is bound to have a negative effect on the money in the game (although probably a positive effect on the game itself).

That's the main point; however, the reason for this is the amount of ordinary players being paid vast amounts of money for just being ordinary.

Back in the day players on the big bucks were the ones you paid to see nowadays everyone of them are on over inflated wages.

I don't know the exact figures so I'm not going to put a random percentage on it but I would say that players wages are a  massive spend and surpass any other payments significantly.

Add to that the unbelievable transfers fees, still at least we get to watch great football and never get bored :-)))

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal