collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Has football run out of money?  (Read 10884 times)

Offline Phil from the upper holte

Has football run out of money?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 10:55:30 AM »
So do you think there is money or is he being slow as usual?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 10:58:58 AM »
Quote from: "Phil from the upper holte"

There is money, Randy has said as much. However the wage bill has to be addressed, we can't keep adding to it so players have to go to allow others to come in.

There are stil 30 days of the window to go so I'm relaxed about it.

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 11:04:52 AM »
Quote from: "Chris Smith"

There is money, Randy has said as much. However the wage bill has to be addressed, we can't keep adding to it so players have to go to allow others to come in.

What if no-one leaves?

Offline march

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 11:13:16 AM »

What if no-one leaves?

then we have what we have got, or do you advocate that we push the wages even further. Of course we have saved some money already but the big three that have to go are Heskey, Young and Sidwell

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 11:21:26 AM »
Quote from: "march"

What if no-one leaves?

then we have what we have got, or do you advocate that we push the wages even further. Of course we have saved some money already but the big three that have to go are Heskey, Young and Sidwell

Yeah because we need some new players, Especially a new striker

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 11:59:10 AM »

What if no-one leaves?

I don't think that is going to happen, it's just that the market hasn't really got going yet for most clubs not just us.

Offline march

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 12:17:10 PM »

Yeah because we need some new players, Especially a new striker

If we start to use 4-3-3 or any of it's variants do we need another one ?

stick with 4-4-2 then yes we do and the money has to be worked out, Luke Young should not be too long in going to start with

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 03:35:39 PM »
I would imagine my question was raised an answered in the 25 mna squad topic

But if you are a player and are not named in the 25 man squad - where does that leave you

Sit on your arse for the season on your full pay?

No wonder there is no clamour to buy players - i would imagine clubs like City, United, Chelsea, Polp et al will have some big earners sitting around doing nothing but drain the club of money

maybe that is the reason no one outside of City are splashing the cash

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 03:50:45 PM »
Very intersting question

And the answer is yes, football is fucked.

I understand that some people, myself included, hate management consultsnts but AT Kearney reckon that the English, Italian and Spanish premier leagues are 2 years from bankruptcy. If you can stand the business jargon and corporate language, it's an interesting read. This was published in the last couple of weeks.

Sorry about the long link

http://www.atkearney.at/content/misc/wrapper.php/id/50310/name/pdf_100624_at_kearney_eu_football_sustainability_study_1277886823c88a.pdf

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 03:52:49 PM »
Its no surprise that a whole host of transfers so far have been freebies and loans.

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 07:17:07 PM »
I think some big club decide their team will be good enough to cope with the changes as it will mean weaker opposition apart from Man City.

Offline Countryside Villain

• GM : 11.05.2016
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 08:48:25 PM »
When you look at the money going into the game, you wonder how on you could suggest that football is running out of money.  Then you see the wages and fees that go out of the game and it's no surprise.  I actually do hope its screwed as I agree with paulie, the end result would be better than what we currently have.

Even the owners at City have come in looking to eventually make money out of them, but I just don't think it will happen.  At some point, a club like Chelsea will lose the financial backing , Roman will walk away and will have the choice of being about £300 million lighter in the pocket or destroying the football club.  Wonder what he'd choose?

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 08:56:45 PM »
Quote from: "Chico Hamilton III"
Very intersting question

And the answer is yes, football is fucked.

I understand that some people, myself included, hate management consultsnts but AT Kearney reckon that the English, Italian and Spanish premier leagues are 2 years from bankruptcy. If you can stand the business jargon and corporate language, it's an interesting read. This was published in the last couple of weeks.

Sorry about the long link

http://www.atkearney.at/content/misc/wrapper.php/id/50310/name/pdf_100624_at_kearney_eu_football_sustainability_study_1277886823c88a.pdf

As you say, an interesting read.

It is something that I have suspected for some time.  Things have been too quiet in the transfer market for everything to be rosy.

The business model in the PL is unsustainable.  It has been on a downward spiral for some time but the sporadic slugs of money have slowed it, the rising Sky money, new owners investment etc.

Can the Sky money continue to increase and are there new owners out there and, if so, are they good for the game.  Risk to the Sky money will come from authorities wanting to reduce the monopoly they hold on prime-time TV matches.  I think there is still a way to go on selling the game worldwide however.  Football controlled by a few rich owners cannot be good for the game as inevitably things will be changed to suit them.  Worse still, the outcome of games could be influenced to suit gambling.

Has the Champions League ruined football in England with qualification being the be-all and end-all and even PL champions seeming to take second place in the eyes of Sky/media.  At least some of our clubs and their managers still see the PL championship as being important but do the players.  Is the answer to have a European super league, with the clubs that go into it withdrawing from their domestic leagues.  If, say, Man Utd, Chelsea or Man City were to play in a European league would they be missed financially or from a football point of view.

I think most looked at Germany in the world cup and thought how refreshing they looked compared with the stale look of other major European nations (Spain apart).  Looking at the report, it seems as though Germany have realised sooner than most that developing your own footballers is a way to balance other expenditure.

I thought that when Randy and MON came in that they were going to use this model of youth, albeit buying in young talent until we could develop our own.  This seems to have gone by the board as we started to see success and people have wanted quicker and quicker end results and we have thus bought older players from a dwindling pool, some of whom have proved to be just journeymen.  Show people success and they want more, turning a blind eye to what is needed to achieve it.

Offline Californian Villain

• Mustang 68
  • GM : Apr, 2012
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 09:18:43 PM »
Quote from: "old man villa fan"

Can the Sky money continue to increase and are there new owners out there and, if so, are they good for the game.  Risk to the Sky money will come from authorities wanting to reduce the monopoly they hold on prime-time TV matches.

The money from Sky will continue until their customers stop paying for the sports/other shows they broadcast. While viewers, including myself, carry on paying our subscriptions to watch the footie, Sky will be quite happy to keep funding (in part) the players' huge salaries.

Offline peter w

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 09:26:20 PM »
Every season its the same. Buying players at times is a lot like buying a house in that tehre are many parties in the chain. Milner going to Man City will mean Player A comes to us, and Team B then sign Player B, and so on. If we, or man City pull-out then the chain breaks but there is enough will on both side sto get it done. Its probably the minor details that are being finalised as we speak.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal