collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Championship Memories by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:24:50 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 07:20:05 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Yeltzer
[Today at 07:18:53 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Axl Rose
[Today at 07:14:14 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 07:11:08 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Taylor
[Today at 07:09:17 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs AFC Bournemouth Pre-Match Thread by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 07:08:36 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 07:07:14 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stan Petrov to Liverpool?  (Read 16243 times)

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Stan Petrov to Liverpool?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2010, 04:26:05 PM »
Quote from: "ajmant"
I never said Stan was a crab in terms of his passing. I understand the need to retain the ball. We've been horrendous at doing that for a while and I wouldn't blame Stan for that, thats often the fault of the wingers and the front men.

I said Stan lacked pace. And he'll get slower.

As you said Monty 4 4 2 doesnt help him. But if we can get £7mil for him, I'd take it.

A perfectly reasonable opinion, and I didn't mean to drag you into the group of people who I think don't understand football. All I disagree with you on is that holding players, in my view, don't need pace. But we'll agree to disagree I think.

Offline ajmant

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 04:27:31 PM »
I'll agreee to that Monty.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 04:38:47 PM »
To be defensive, no they don't need pace as it's more about reading of the game and positioning.  However, if they are to be able to boss a game from that position they do need a bit more athleticism about them, such as keane and Viera had.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2010, 04:43:27 PM »
Quote from: "Monty"
Quote from: "adrenachrome"
Quote from: "Monty"
I'm always amazed when people say they don't like Petrov. Pace? Who needs pace there, some the best holding players over the last few years - Alonso, Busquets, Senna, Makelele - never needed pace because they have or had supreme reading of the game. All the stats back up Petrov's quality, all the players, management, other clubs' thoughts and everything backs up how good he is, and yet some don't see it, would rather have a headless chicken like NRC in there. I just don't get it.

Can you think of any Villa player that has been used in this position that hasn't been criticised in much the same fashion?

Draper and Boateng for example, both good players, were condemned with epithets such as sideways and crab and so on.

I agree, and I also think that Petrov is arguably better than both of those, certainly better than Boateng. It's the old thing - people say they want us to keep the ball better, but moan about 'sideways passes'. You can't have it both ways.

Keeping the ball does not have to involve sideways or backwards passes almost every time.  The objective is to get the ball forward and into the opponents net eventually and I don't think Stan, despite his passing ability, goes for a killer ball, or even a forward pass, often enough.  One of the main strengths of our team is our pace on the break.  Now it's often the case that poor movement of our team leaves Stan no option but to play the safe sideways option, but many times I've groaned when a break has been on and Stan has missed or passed up the opportunity.  In any case if you stop, turn around and pass it to Cuellar, you're hardly likely to retain posession much longer.  I think he plays it too safe too often.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2010, 05:04:38 PM »
I think there are many types of 'holding' midfielders.

Titles from FM.

Ball winning midfielder - Like Mascherano. Tireless running around trying to win the ball or foul, however it's done just break up the play. I'd say NRC is a little like this. Not exactly the best players on the ball.

Deep Lying playmaker - Someone who sits deeper than the other midfielders, intercepts play, tires to read the game and then tries to create from deep, spraying passes wide and long range. Like Petrov and Tom Huddlestone for example

Defensive midfielder - Someone who does get a foot in win the ball back, and then give it to the closest bloke to try and do something with it. Someone like John Obi Mikel, Owen Hargreaves for example.

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 06:00:43 PM »
I'd be sad to see him go, but time marches on and all that. Stan's best quality is his vision of pass, lying deep in his own half he can turn defence into counter attack with one pass.

Sadly his mandate is give it to a winger to cross for Gabby or big John.

If we continually played with 5 in the middle NRC could do all the dirty work and give the ball to a decent passer, who that would be I've no idea.

Replacement suggestions?

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2010, 06:03:08 PM »
Quote from: "PaulTheVillan"

Defensive midfielder - Someone who does get a foot in win the ball back, and then give it to the closest bloke to try and do something with it. Someone like John Obi Mikel, Owen Hargreaves for example.

A Defensive Midfielder, feeding a "Libero" would be great.

Offline supertom

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2010, 06:06:21 PM »
If we got 7 mill that would be good business indeed. I like Stan, but in our system and style, he's a 60 minute player.

Under Hodgeson, at Liverpool, he'll have no worries about his legs. He'll get rested when needed, but generally he'll have less running anyhow. Woy got a hell of a lot out of Danny Murphy, when people had felt his legs went 3-4 years ago. But the key is ball retention, and not wearing yourself out in high tempo, 100mph football.

The main problem though is Martin No Deal. We could lose Sidwell, Petrov and Milner, and then find ourselves going into the season with only NRC as a fit CM. We'd need Mart to get a bloody move on, but at the same time, not settle for someone crap.

Offline The Man With A Stick

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2010, 06:13:03 PM »
Quote from: "supertom"
The main problem though is Martin No Deal. We could lose Sidwell, Petrov and Milner, and then find ourselves going into the season with only NRC as a fit CM. We'd need Mart to get a bloody move on, but at the same time, not settle for someone crap.

There's always Osbourne.

It's OK, i'm sure Shorey or someone would be able to cover the position until January (when traditionally no-one sells their best players, so we'll have to wait til the summer).

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 06:37:47 PM »
I just don't believe this story is true.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2010, 06:39:42 PM »
Nor me. Liverpool wouldn't pay 7m for a soon to be 31 year old for a start in their financial state.

I like Stan aswell, he's grown into an important role in the team and also the club.

Plus selling him with Milner's future still in the air, Sidwell going and NRC going in a years time and Delph broken until Xmas dosen't leave our central midfield in good shape does it?

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2010, 06:44:46 PM »
Quote from: "SoccerHQ"
Nor me. Liverpool wouldn't pay 7m for a soon to be 31 year old for a start in their financial state.

I like Stan aswell, he's grown into an important role in the team and also the club.

Plus selling him with Milner's future still in the air, Sidwell going and NRC going in a years time and Delph broken until Xmas dosen't leave our central midfield in good shape does it?

Absolutely agree.

It is from the Mirror for crissakes so it is almost certainly bollocks.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2010, 06:54:58 PM »
I would dread to see stan go. not so much for his technical ability (which i do rate) but more so for his presence, influence and experience. We are a little in danger of loosing our identity. In recent seasons weve lost mellberg, laursen, barry...I think stan is in the 'general' sort of role at the club at the moment. Granted dunne and collins have potential but are still fresh at the club...

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2010, 07:02:47 PM »
This was in the mirror. With a hit rate of 1 in a hundred stories happening, it is safe to say Petrov will be Villa captain next season.

Offline newtonsballs

• GM : 21.02.2020
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2010, 08:43:47 PM »
Quote from: "mattjpa"
I would dread to see stan go. not so much for his technical ability (which i do rate) but more so for his presence, influence and experience. We are a little in danger of loosing our identity. In recent seasons weve lost mellberg, laursen, barry...I think stan is in the 'general' sort of role at the club at the moment. Granted dunne and collins have potential but are still fresh at the club...

I agree matt - you've summed it up for me, it's his presence, he truly captains the team

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal