collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stan Petrov to Liverpool?  (Read 16249 times)

Offline Merv

Stan Petrov to Liverpool?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 03:01:01 PM »
Quote from: "pedro25"
Would only do it if a direct replacement of Flamini's calibre is signed first and we know Milner is staying.  With Delph injured I think we would be too unstable selling both Petrov and Milner no matter who comes in, especially with Sidders and NRC possible off to.

You got it. This time last year our central midfield looked very well stocked; at the moment, taking everything into consideration, it's looking pretty thin.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 03:38:07 PM »
Never been a fan of Petrov and wouldn't be too sad to see him go especially for 7m.  As long as we get someone in to cover that position until Delph is fit again.  Or NRC is given another chance.

Offline ajmant

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 03:42:51 PM »
I'm not a fan of Petrov either. Too slow, beaten too easily for pace in his "holding" role. £7m - sell him as long as a replacement is lined up before he goes.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 03:47:43 PM »
I'm always amazed when people say they don't like Petrov. Pace? Who needs pace there, some the best holding players over the last few years - Alonso, Busquets, Senna, Makelele - never needed pace because they have or had supreme reading of the game. All the stats back up Petrov's quality, all the players, management, other clubs' thoughts and everything backs up how good he is, and yet some don't see it, would rather have a headless chicken like NRC in there. I just don't get it.

Offline evalast1910

• GM : 29.02.2016
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 03:50:02 PM »
Flamini and Ireland in the centre midfield in my view is better than Milner and Petrov and probs make a £25m+ profit in the process.

Think a midfield three of:

--------Flamini
Ireland--------Delph

For years to come would be brilliant.

Offline ajmant

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 03:50:31 PM »
Sorry Monty but Stan gets beaten by skillful guys walking round him, let alone flying past him.

Offline Monty

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 03:53:41 PM »
Ajmant, that's just not backed up by any proof. Statistically he made the fifth highest amount of tackles last season, had the second highest success rate with tackling, has been among the highest interceptions for the last few years, everything. The 4-4-2 system is the problem, not Petrov. He does his job fine - he's just let down by the space around him.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 03:56:58 PM »
Quote from: "Monty"
I'm always amazed when people say they don't like Petrov. Pace? Who needs pace there, some the best holding players over the last few years - Alonso, Busquets, Senna, Makelele - never needed pace because they have or had supreme reading of the game. All the stats back up Petrov's quality, all the players, management, other clubs' thoughts and everything backs up how good he is, and yet some don't see it, would rather have a headless chicken like NRC in there. I just don't get it.

Can you think of any Villa player that has been used in this position that hasn't been criticised in much the same fashion?

Draper and Boateng for example, both good players, were condemned with epithets such as sideways and crab and so on.

Offline ajmant

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 03:57:12 PM »
Monty, we'll have to beg to differ on this. Maybe I see his faults as sometimes he really does get shown up and it's because he is isolated as you say, but for me he has never really delivered.

Offline Monty

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 03:58:48 PM »
Quote from: "adrenachrome"

Can you think of any Villa player that has been used in this position that hasn't been criticised in much the same fashion?

Draper and Boateng for example, both good players, were condemned with epithets such as sideways and crab and so on.

I agree, and I also think that Petrov is arguably better than both of those, certainly better than Boateng. It's the old thing - people say they want us to keep the ball better, but moan about 'sideways passes'. You can't have it both ways.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 04:06:10 PM »
Quote from: "adrenachrome"

It's interesting. I know a fair few people on here would prefer us to move to a more passing style of play but just as many seem to view players who do short passing as crabs and such movement of the ball as pissing around.

For me, if we want to improve our style of play the midfield is key but Petrov is the one player who has the passing ability, technical ability and vision in our midfield yet he is considered a crab. Petrov's only issue is that he gets knackered. If we could substitute him it would help him no end. That's why he's important to us.

And Monty I agree 110% on what you say about Reo-Coker.

Online Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 04:07:53 PM »
Quote from: "ajmant"
Monty, we'll have to beg to differ on this. Maybe I see his faults as sometimes he really does get shown up and it's because he is isolated as you say, but for me he has never really delivered.

He was our best player two seasons ago, easily. Voted for by the players and the fans.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 04:18:09 PM »
Our midfield is shit. It has been ever since MON has taken over.

We've yet to have a good partnership in there.

I like Stan, he's a good player and I think he'd do very well at Liverpool. But the balance and shape in our midfield has been off for the last 4 years.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 04:20:12 PM »
7 million for Petrov.. Yes please

Offline ajmant

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 04:24:20 PM »
I never said Stan was a crab in terms of his passing. I understand the need to retain the ball. We've been horrendous at doing that for a while and I wouldn't blame Stan for that, thats often the fault of the wingers and the front men.

I said Stan lacked pace. And he'll get slower.

As you said Monty 4 4 2 doesnt help him. But if we can get £7mil for him, I'd take it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal