collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stan Petrov to Liverpool?  (Read 16247 times)

Offline mshurst

Stan Petrov to Liverpool?
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:32:45 AM »
I didn't see this coming.

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson wants Aston Villa midfield general Stiliyan Petrov as the shock replacement for transfer-seeking Javier Mascherano.

Hodgson admires the Bulgarian star's style and is ready to pay around £7 million for him as he looks to cash in on Argentinian Mascherano by selling him to Inter Milan coach Rafa Benitez.

The Kop are looking to land both Petrov and right back Luke Young in a surprise double raid as they try to bring in seasons professionals for a demanding campaign.

Petrov, 30, is one of the Premier League's most respect operators and a key man for Martin O'Neill who brought him to Villa from Celtic where he was also a legend.

Offline tsvet

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 09:36:31 AM »
It's not that surprising. And it won't be too surprising if he does go. If the interest is real indeed...

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
petrov
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 09:37:49 AM »
That one has caught me by surprise as well.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
Re: Stan Petrov to Liverpool?
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 09:38:40 AM »
Quote from: "mshurst"
I didn't see this coming.

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson wants Aston Villa midfield general Stiliyan Petrov as the shock replacement for transfer-seeking Javier Mascherano.

Hodgson admires the Bulgarian star's style and is ready to pay around £7 million for him as he looks to cash in on Argentinian Mascherano by selling him to Inter Milan coach Rafa Benitez.

The Kop are looking to land both Petrov and right back Luke Young in a surprise double raid as they try to bring in seasons professionals for a demanding campaign.

Petrov, 30, is one of the Premier League's most respect operators and a key man for Martin O'Neill who brought him to Villa from Celtic where he was also a legend.

Thanks for all your help at B6 Stan.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 11:52:08 AM »
i would sell him for that amount in a heartbeat... without a second thought...

Offline Barry Shaw

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 12:46:45 PM »
I'd drive him there myself for anything over £5M. Has done OK for us (although had two really slow seasons) but I think he is too slow and only effective when playing as one of five in midfield.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 12:52:43 PM »
Hang on. Lets not be tripping over ourselves to sell him. I admit that its a reasonable fee for him but ONLY if we have somebody as good and younger or better first. Otherwise we could be a bit thin on the ground when it comes to central midfielders.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 01:07:41 PM »
we could pick up manuel fernandes for that amount... instantly improving the midfield...

Offline pedro25

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 01:14:20 PM »
Would it, he's had 3 brief loan spells in the prem yet no one has taken a punt on him yet.  Petrov has helped us to 3 top 6 finishes, is the club captain and was supporters player of the year 12 months ago. It would mean selling our skipper to a direct league rival, albeit at a decent price for a 30 yr old.  Would only do it if a direct replacement of Flamini's calibre is signed first and we know Milner is staying.  With Delph injured I think we would be too unstable selling both Petrov and Milner no matter who comes in, especially with Sidders and NRC possible off to.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 01:18:49 PM »
flamini is another option...

personally, i think fernandes would improve the midfield instantly... an all round midfielder with pace and energy, good in the challenge, technically excellent, good passing... shooting leaves a lot to be desired, but as the holding player, he would tick all the boxes and then some...

also has premier league experience...

in my humble opinion, he would be an excellent addition to the first eleven, and would fit into our style of play instantly...

Offline pedro25

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 01:48:10 PM »
No that's fine, when I've seen him a yr or 2 ago for Everton he looked a good player.  He's been off my radar recently as I don't watch much foreign footie, but from what I've seen he would be a welcome addition to the squad, but i'd prefer Flamini if possible.  I just can't jump on the "I'd drive Petrov to Liverpool myself" bandwagon as I think he has been generally very good for us the past 2 seasons.  If he was going abroad it would be more palatable but I can see Liverpool overtaking us at any rate without us giving them another good player.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 01:54:21 PM »
Fernandes has never made much of an impact at Valencia and despite his experience in the premier league no one has really come in for him.

If we were to sell Stan I'd like better to replace him.

However, pretty much all of this is being covered in the main transfer thread and it's in the Mirror so it's bollocks.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 02:39:13 PM »
I wouldn't sell Petrov. I think he's among the best in his role in the league and we wouldn't get in anyone better for the money, only a raw young player who'd need to learn the game, adjust to his new team and, without Petrov, have no-one to learn from in the process.

Petrov's position is one where you really need to be in the team for a while, to learn what your team-mates do in certain situations, to understand what you're role is etc. There's no way we'd replace this instantly.

Offline villa for life

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 02:46:19 PM »
Try and tempt Everton with a huge offer for Fellaini, he'd probably cost nearly as much as Milner, though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal