collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 25 man squad and its effect on us  (Read 13349 times)

Offline sfx412

25 man squad and its effect on us
« on: July 27, 2010, 01:03:47 PM »
I'm wondering what will happen to all those players on big wages who aren't picked in their clubs 25 by September 1
Will they have extended holidays, be swapped out on loan and their existing club still left to pay most of their wages.
How many clubs have many quality players under 21 on Jan 1 2010, I wonder

Villa I'd guess as we stand, should not be too poorly off, but I wonder about the likes of Salifou, Sidwell, Beye, and co.
Has Harewood left yet ?
I wonder if Mon has his list already and what input the management had in its writing.

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 01:06:20 PM »
I think Harewood and Bouma have now left.

Sidwell seemed certain to go last Friday, but I don't think he has yet.

Not sure if Reo-Coker and Shorey will stay either.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 01:12:21 PM »
An excellent question Malcolm, dear boy.

I think we currently have a squad thusly:

Friedel, Guzan, Parish
Beye, Young, Warnock, Shorey, Davies, Cuellar, Dunne, Collins, Lichaj, Clark, Lowry
Young, Albrighton, Downing, Petrov, Reo Coker, Salifou, Osbourne, Sidwell, Milner, Delph
Carew, Agbonlahor, Heskey, Delfouneso, Weimann

That's 29. Meaning we have to lose 4. Then you figure we have to bring new players in (even if you arent going to promote any more kids form the academy) so then who ever comes in pushes somebody out. Therefore we, and anybody else with a similar sized squad, has to "sell to buy". Of course, you want to get rid of your worst players, not your best. Or the ones who are doing very little for the money they are on.

So now it all becomes about berths.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 01:13:13 PM »
I think we had only 20 players aged over 21 at 1st of January so it isn't going to be an issue for us.

I read somewhere that Man City have 37 players eligible for their list of 25 but I'm not sure how true that is.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 01:13:29 PM »
If I get this right, you can have in excess of 25 in the squad, provided they are 'homegrown', so effectively what you need is to have no more than 17 foreigners?  If so, ours are:-

Carew
Petrov
Dunne(?)
Cuellar
Freidel
Guzan
Beye

We'll be fine.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 01:15:39 PM »
You are allowed as many under 21s as you like so Albrighton, Fonz etc don't count. We'll be fine.

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 01:16:36 PM »
I dont think a squad bigger than 25 is all that healthy anyway.
Of course, for MON it's 14.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 01:16:50 PM »
Quote from: "Mazrim"

Friedel, Guzan, Parish
Beye, Young, Warnock, Shorey, Davies, Cuellar, Dunne, Collins, Lichaj, Clark, Lowry
Young, Albrighton, Downing, Petrov, Reo Coker, Salifou, Osbourne, Sidwell, Milner, Delph

That's 29. Meaning we have to lose 4. Then you figure we have to bring new players in (even if you arent going to promote any more kids form the academy) so then who ever comes in pushes somebody out. Therefore we, and anybody else with a similar sized squad, has to "sell to buy". Of course, you want to get rid of your worst players, not your best. Or the ones who are doing very little for the money they are on.

Parish, lichaj, clark, lowry, albrighton, delph, delfouneso and weimann all U21 at 1st January I think, so don't count for the purposes of the 25.

Offline eastie

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 01:18:47 PM »
Does Ireland count as homegrown?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
Quote from: "Mazrim"

Friedel, Guzan, Parish

Remember you can add an infinite amount of players from the u21 bracket (as of jan 1st 2010) , so from your list:

Parish
Lichaj
Clark
Lowry
Delph
Delfouneso
Weimann

Which leaves us with 22, so spots for 3 new players with no further outgoings.

EDIT: Missed albrighton, so 21 of the 25 'used'.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 01:19:52 PM »
I bet we are one of the few clubs in the PL who won't have a problem at all.

I didn't realise U21s didn't count in the 25. That makes it even better for us!

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 01:20:48 PM »
That's only a good idea if you dont intend using the U21s much and I'd hope we do because ours are quite god.

Offline Kevilla

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 01:23:18 PM »
I don't think that's right. The rules say that you must name a squad of 25 senior players, eight of whom must be 'home-grown' - home-grown players are those that have been registered at an English or Welsh club for any three years between the ages of 16 and 21, so they can come from any country, they just need to have been here when they were young. I can't see that this presents us with a problem at all.

I suspect one of the main effects of this in the short term will be that the loan market will become more lively and important. And that Stephen Ireland and a whole host of others in Manchester might quickly develop itchy feet.

I hope so, anyway

Offline dotcomsimon

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 01:23:55 PM »
Quote from: "east19"
Does Ireland count as homegrown?

Yes because he's been at citeh since he was 15 IIRC

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 01:24:32 PM »
Yeah that rule was put in because it forces clubs to give their academy products a bit of a chance on the bench, etc.

You only need 8 injuries/suspensions to force the kids onto the bench.  I'd say if you looked through the full list for last year you'd find a whole load of times where clubs had at least that many people out.

It's also worth noting the effect it would have on youth development in this country if that rule wasn't in place, which is the exact opposite of what they're trying to accomplish by bringing it in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal