collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Would you accept a mid table finish this season if...  (Read 12076 times)

Offline TimTheVillain

Would you accept a mid table finish this season if...
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 11:44:44 AM »
I'd have to, but it would be hard to take and would seriously be the start of an inquest into Randy's ambitions / funds.

In some way it could be a good thing, as we could take stock and Randy may seek some re-investment capital by dilution.

If Randy's funds have dried up as I supsect, he must start to look at inward investment, surely.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 11:52:32 AM »
Sad fact is we're about eighty million pounds away from our next league winning campaign. I can't imagine any of our season ticket purchasers genuinely expect us to be pushing for the title.

Attacking football, particularly at home, will be key to MON finishing next season at Villa.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 12:08:10 PM »
No. It'd mean that the unprecedented money (in Villa terms) money put into team has been wasted. We'd be doing exceptionally well to  get two of the academy players established as first teamers who maintain a premiership level (our record over the last ten years is fairly poor).

If Albrighton doesn't break through this year I don't think he ever will (he's 21 this year), at least not for us, and we need to see how Delph emerges from that injury. They all need a chance dependent on their abilities but not at the expense of finishing amongst the Stokes and Birmighams of this world.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 12:17:36 PM »
I dont see these things as necessarily being  mutually exclusive. You bring in youngsters because you think they can do a job at that time to beat the opposition who are in front of you at that time.
In any case, I dont see how playing youngsters in a team which is then achieving sub standard performances and results would particularly help their development.
Please give historical examples of clubs which have followed a policy of throwing in youngsters and sacrificing results for a time to achieve later success. (Man U losing their first game of the season to us in the 90s doesnt count by the way)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 12:41:14 PM »
I'll accept mid-table if we win the Cup.

Deal?

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 01:15:28 PM »
Quote from: "cdvillafan"

Deal?

Any cup or THE Cup?

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
Not really, I think they should be phased in anyway. I don't think we can sacrifice league position for the sake of blooding young players. They should be brought in alongside the more senior players.

Offline MadJohnnyC

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 02:54:53 PM »
Quote from: "UK Redsox"

Therefore, it'll only take a minor slip for Villa to be passed by the likes of Everton, Fulham or Birmingham.

WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT WITH SOAP WHAT ON EARTH HAVE YOU BEEN DRINKING MAN !!!

I agree with most on here that at the time of writing 8th is about as good as its going to get. I'm not the slightest bit excited about the players we are being linked with, and I feel other teams are much better prepared than we are.

That said, Ive been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. So hopefully this is an example and we are all celebrating wildly come what May.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 03:06:26 PM »
Quote from: "Karl Bridges"
I think we will be dropping back this season anyway, without question. We know Chelsea, Man U, and Arsenal are way ahead of us.

I think Woy will sort out Liverpool and they have more quality in their squad than we do. Man City have more quality and so do Everton. They all score more goals than us, so will win more games.

Spurs may suffer from the distractions of Champs League depending on how long they stay in it but we could be looking at 8th behind that lot anyway.

I would definitely like to see the kids given a hell of a lot more time on the pitch. If we aren't going to be spending any money on players unless we sell, we need to see what we have got in terms of possible replacements before they have to be thrown in and have to sink or swim. It should have been happening last season already. It's one of the things that annoys me about MON.

It needs to start gradually with players being given 30 minutes here and there to take away the nerves and then they need to get the odd start based on what they've shown. If they look comfortable happy days, if they don't we can move them on and look at the next crop.

Absolutely spot on.

I'd also favour giving a talented youngster a shot ahead of an overpriced player who was brought in.

Offline Pants

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 03:54:29 PM »
I'd just like to come away from Villa park, talking about goals & exciting young talent, our final league posistion is less important than having a buzz before and after a game which lets face it hasn't been there the last two seasons.

Offline Surrey Villain

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 04:03:59 PM »
Quote from: "Pants"
I'd just like to come away from Villa park, talking about goals & exciting young talent, our final league posistion is less important than having a buzz before and after a game which lets face it hasn't been there the last two seasons.

You're right!  The buzz has been replaced by a sick feeling in the stomach.
It's called fear.

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 04:05:48 PM »
Quote from: "Surrey Villain"
You're right!  The buzz has been replaced by a sick feeling in the stomach.
It's called fear.

Oh Christ.
Has he reformed VFC?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 05:32:41 PM »
Quote from: "Surrey Villain"
Quote from: "cdvillafan"

Deal?

Any cup or THE Cup?

Any proper Cup will do... Guadiana Cup doesn't count.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2010, 05:34:46 PM »
If we were to slip back and console ourselves that the kids are looking good it would be three seasons wasted.

Offline supertom

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2010, 06:49:19 PM »
Could our kids do better than the following:

Heskey
Sidwell
Shorey
Carlos (at right back)
Beye
?
Yes IMO.
I could probably go on. But why have middle of the road plodders, who aren't gonna get any better, as opposed to any decent kids. Without getting into position specifics, because it would seem we're lacking a standout young left back, and central midfielder (at least till Gardner is back from injury).

I think we have enough quality seniors in the team, plus 3-4 to join, and we can blood some youngsters too.

I also don't think we'd drop as low as 11th or 12th. We'd still push close with Everton for 7th-8th. We might even be better than previously for having a bit of youthful exuberence on our bench. Plus our former young fellas, Young and Gabby for example, are now stalwards. The likes of Friedel, Dunne, Petrov, Carew running thorug our spine, have been there and done it and continue doing the business.

I'd go with it. Lets try and bring through at least 4-5 of the young lads significantly this season. Though in that number I'd include Fonzie and Delph. They've got plenty of potential, which we need to be seeing now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal