collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The importance of being Villa  (Read 18213 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
The importance of being Villa
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2010, 08:18:11 PM »
C.

The only game I was really disappointed to lose last season was obviously the Carling cup final.

In the league drawing half of our games in the run in annoyed me much more than the 7-1 at Chelsea for example.

Offline villa1

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2010, 08:33:22 PM »
B for me too.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2010, 10:56:46 PM »
Quote from: "SoccerHQ"
C.

The only game I was really disappointed to lose last season was obviously the Carling cup final.

In the league drawing half of our games in the run in annoyed me much more than the 7-1 at Chelsea for example.

I was thinking about that match the other day.

I found losing the CCF very disappointing, but losing the FAC semi final was crushing by comparison. Absolutely miles worse.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2010, 09:03:12 AM »
B for me as well.

What I have noticed though is I'm a far happier person off season. I'm in control of every aspect of my life in the summer, in the winter a silly bloody game played out by overpaid prima donnas who I can exert  no influence over whatsoever can effect my mood for weeks on end.

Although I accept that being an A would just be silly, the glow that l had for weeks after the birth of my kids felt the same as the 30 second high that you get when say Gabby scores late on at the b-lose.

Undoubtedly as well I'm a Villa Fan not a football fan, the world cup confirmed that.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2010, 09:09:33 AM »
Ha, I agree with that Andrew. I'm the same! I find I am just as excited as ever when the start of the season comes around though. It soon wanes however as the utter mind numbing predictability of it all sets in and I find more things to be angry about with modern day football than I do to take pleasure from. I've actually got to the point, miserable old git that I am, when I enjoy other teams' misfortunes as much as I do Villa doing well. I never used to be like that, but now Chelsea getting knocked out of a cup is almost as pleasurable as a Villa win!

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
I never used to be like that, but now Chelsea getting knocked out of a cup is almost as pleasurable as a Villa win![/quote]

Absolutely. ditto several other teams extending into Spain with Madrid and Barcelona as well !

I am turning into a truely horrible grumpy old footy fan..... laughed for minutes when Fulham lost the europa final as well.

Strangely though, and my old man will turn in his grave when I say this, I'm getting to feel a little bit sorry for Albion lately. I mean b-lose and wolves better than them ? That's just not right

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2010, 10:15:59 AM »
I'm a B even though I have other interests which take up other parts of my spare time.  For home games everything else has to fit around the game.  I don't do as many away games as I would like due to other commitments but while doing these and any home games I might have to miss for holidays/Weddings and such like my mind is focused on how we are doing even though I'm not there.

Offline berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2010, 10:22:01 AM »
C

.. I think.

I know rationally that it's only football and isn't of any fundamental importance but emotion says otherwise.

Still, at the ripe old age of 56 and with family and work and my beliefs, my mood is affected by results or performance. I can't help it.

I think it demonstrates show important our childhood and our family roots are.
You can never really escape them. And I don't want to.

Essentially I'm happy to sulk or smile because of the Villa and know deep down it doesn't really matter.

... does it?

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2010, 05:33:24 PM »
Quote from: "BIGBADBOBSCLARET&BLUE"
A all the way.

To judge others by your standards sounds like you are very unaware of your own being

I'm not sure if your second sentence is alluding to my previous post but either way, I would not even try to judge you by my standards, I don't know you.

But seriously, A? There is nothing more important in your life than Aston Villa?

Offline peter w

« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2010, 07:47:20 PM »
Quote from: "Dave Cooper"
Without wanting to sound completely up myself, I've never understood the mindset of anyone who could genuinely claim to be option A.
I can imagine that some people run their lives around making sure they get to every match or cannot concentrate on anything if Villa are playing or on the verge of signing someone, I think we've all been there at some point, but to claim (or believe) that a football club are the most important thing your life, ahead of family, friends, career, etc. etc., nah, it just doesn't compute with me.

Okay, substitute Villa for Tamworth and you may get it...

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2010, 10:40:37 AM »
Im a B/C I voted B. I used to be an A, Everything used to have to revolve around the Villa.

I still have mates who are A's. I know a lad who has recently lost his wife with his absolute refusal to do anything that gets in the way of his Aston Villa.

I still sulk if we lose though, It can go on for days

Offline Countryside Villain

• GM : 11.05.2016
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2010, 11:21:29 AM »
C, possibly slipping into D.

I still care, check newsnow and here throughout the day and sit glued to the media on transfer deadline day.  I'll try to at least watch the games on the stream every week and I'll try to make it to half a dozen games home or away over the season but that's partly just to catch up with mates.

If it wasn't for the Villa I'm not sure I'd have any more than a passing interest in a industry I'm beginning to hate.  Losses these days are greeted with annoyance and a shrug rather than anger.

Put it before everything else in my life?  Not a feckin chance.

Offline ronshirt

« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2010, 12:16:49 PM »
Quote from: "Countryside Villain"

If when younger you were an A then you're well on the way to being our first AC/DC.

Offline willywombat

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2010, 02:57:16 AM »
Quote from: "ronshirt"
Quote from: "Countryside Villain"

If when younger you were an A then you're well on the way to being our first AC/DC.

You would be on a Highway to Hell

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal