collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The importance of being Villa  (Read 18223 times)

Offline willywombat

The importance of being Villa
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 03:50:34 AM »
Probably C now. I used to be somewhere between A and B for years. I think the decline started after I shook off the 3 week depression following the FA cup final against Chelsea when I swore to myself that I was no longer going to let something as trivial as a game of football ruin my life.

On top of that, like a lot of people, I cant stand the way the game has become all about the money. I know it's always been that way to a certain extent but the Chelsea and now Man City madness is getting beyond reasonable explanation. Journeymen players who cant string a sentence together earning more in a week than I can in a year and who cant even be bothered to pretend to care about the fans they represent havent helped either.
Make that  D.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 07:18:07 AM »
I would say Ive pretty well always been a B since starting in 1966. But I am probably a B with a hint more reality and cynicism.

I probably drifted to C in the late 80s for about a season when I had a job which involved always working saturdays( rather fortuate that the only time in 44 years I was stopped from regular attendance coincided with Billy McNeill).

Anybody who claims A is either lying or should get a life. I suspect the Man U fan with the flag that says "Utd Kids Wife In that order" would say A.  
Am I the only one who when I see that flag want someone to shove it down his fat arrogant stupid mouth ?

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 07:34:07 AM »
It's important but other things have greater priority

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
Re: The importance of being Villa
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 08:09:56 AM »
Quote from: "dave.woodhall"
As it says - what do the Villa mean to you in the wider scheme of things? Life and death? Or something to pass the time?

Have you been reading the Mailing List again?

Offline Lee

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/BlackCountryVilla/
  • GM : Jul, 2014
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 08:12:09 AM »
A  while ago, I would say the first option, but over time it's dropped down to "It's important but other things have greater priority". I would say that it's now about to drop into the 3rd category.

Offline TheBarneyArmy

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 08:31:01 AM »
Somewhere between B & C, they still have the ability to make or ruin a weekend, though my daughter manages to put things in perspective as only a 5 year old can.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 09:05:41 AM »
Up until 2003 it was definitely A and had been for nearly 20 years.

Now it's a mixture of B & C and will always be that way for me.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 09:20:50 AM »
It's b for me.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
what villa means to you
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 09:22:10 AM »
It's b for me.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 10:10:23 AM »
From 1974 to 1984 it was a major part of my life. Then life-changes occured and I slipped away only to return with a renewed passion around 2002. The experience just wasn't the same though...

If my lad had been more enthusiastic then possibly may have attended more but he isn't too bothered. The blokes I used to attend with have drifted away as well.

Now I have a strong emotive response to the Villa memories from the 70's/80's but I just don't identify with the present players or style of play.

I fell out of love wih football not Villa

Online Chris Harte

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 10:12:17 AM »
Voted D.

There was a time when it would have possibly been an A or at least a B, but not any more. There's a good chance that I'll miss the Everton home game in August simply because I'll be doing other things - something that at one part of my life would have been absolutely unthinkable for me when the Villa were at home.

I'm not sure if its the aging process that is responsible for this or the 'Top Four' thing of the Sky era, or maybe a mix of both.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 10:14:41 AM »
B for me. As others have said I have also fallen  out of love with the game but not Villa. The money has killed it which is a shame and it will only get worse.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 10:36:28 AM »
D for me.

Villa are my main 'hobby' - manily becuse I'm not a golfer.

I love football and Villa since 1971, and am still clinging onto the hope that we will compete with the big boys again ( General K seems to think we will)....

'Patience' rather than 'Prepared' may be a more appropriate club motto at VP, 2010.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2010, 10:40:54 AM »
Quote from: "adrenachrome"
Quote from: "Dave Cooper"
Quote from: "adrenachrome"

You got to F in 1993, you F*.

I don't get it, sorry.
I have had wine.

F as in Fail.

Only winding you up, Dave.

Oh I see!

Told you I had had wine.

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2010, 11:21:42 AM »
My initial reaction was C, but the more I think about how I do let the odd result bother me and how much games like Reading away can lift me, I've settled on B. And this is despite being a part-timer who very much picks and chooses his games.

I think if I went every week, I'd be as miserable as sin. I'd struggle to look on the bright side as much as a group of S/T holders I went to school with, although even one of them got worn down last season by his attempts to go to every game home and away. What's odd is that it wasn't the standard of football that wore him down, it was the negativity in the support surrounding him.

A wee break must have done him the world of good however as he's in Dublin this weekend and is already making plans for at least one European away day.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal