collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sheffield Wednesday in the brown stuff  (Read 12522 times)

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
Sheffield Wednesday in the brown stuff
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 01:46:09 PM »
Quote from: "myf"

and sad that English football has become more of a business than a sport.

Its is always strange that message. Clubs were being wound up due to lack of money in the early 1900's weren't they. We almost went in the 60's. It is uncommon but not a recent thing.

Offline march

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »
Quote from: "Somniloquism"

Its is always strange that message. Clubs were being wound up due to lack of money in the early 1900's weren't they. We almost went in the 60's. It is uncommon but not a recent thing.

back in the very early days we used to play benefit games to keep afloat the likes the West Brom and Small Heath. The club knew the importance even then of keeping clubs afloat.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 05:18:34 PM »
Why all the sympathy for Wednesday?
They are in exactly the same situation as Leeds and Portsmouth before them, who basically got laughed at on here, i.e. they have overspent and now might need a spell in administration to straighten themselves out.

They aren't disappearing, Hillsborough will still be there for you to visit if it takes your fancy, their fans will still have a club to support if they are big enough fans to carry on supporting them in lower divisions and with crapper players!

The main point in this is that if it  happened more often and to bigger clubs and then finally football in general might come to it's fucking senses - doubt it though.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2010, 05:38:22 PM »
You won't find much sympathy from me. I don't like them at all.

I can't remember his exact words but when their relegation battle came down to the last day and he said that Palace deserved to go down because they entered administration. That is a rather stupid comment as if Palace hadn't entered administration they wouldn't have been anywhere near the relegation battle.

And now to compound this they have not paid their taxes and other debts much like Palace did. Far from feeling sympathy I'm laughing my head off.

Now I admit if it was the other way round and Palace were in this situation I might be a little more sympathetic. There are clubs I like and clubs I don't.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 05:43:43 PM »
Just noticed this. The irony is delicious.

Crystal Palace set to exit administration

Crystal Palace are on the verge of coming out of administration.

The deadline to appeal against Palace's Company Voluntary Agreement passed at 1600 BST with none of the club's creditors making an objection.

That means Steve Parish's CPFC 2010 consortium can apply for a transfer of Palace's Football League share and take full control of the club.

"This is now the beginning of the end of the rescue of Crystal Palace," said administrator Brendan Guilfoyle.

"I would like to say a special thank you to Steve Parish," added Guilfoyle.

"Without his determination and tenacity it would not have been possible to resolve the many difficulties that arose during such complex and lengthy negotiations."

Palace fell into administration in January and were automatically docked 10 points, with the club's place in the Championship only being secured on the last day of the season with a 2-2 draw at Sheffield Wednesday.

Palace were one of a number of clubs that went into administration last season, most notably Portsmouth - the first Premier League club to suffer that fate.

A number of English teams are in financial difficulties as Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs adopts a tougher stance on unpaid tax bills, with Sheffield Wednesday becoming the latest club to be served with a winding-up order by HMRC on Friday.

Offline gerags

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 06:01:02 PM »
If it hadn't been for SGT the 1st rebuilding the club from the bottom up, I think this could easily have been us.

Small mercies and all that.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2010, 07:10:47 PM »
If the Sheiks hadn't come to City it could have been them after the trouble with Shinawatra.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2010, 07:27:22 PM »
That band and Dave Richards, a chairman who made Doug seem nice.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2010, 07:39:19 PM »
Quote from: "dave.woodhall"

And worringly in positions of power in English football.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 07:45:09 PM »
Quote from: "garyshawsknee"

And worringly in positions of power in English football.

Read David Conn's The Football Business for full details of how he made a small fortune from Wednesday, ran them into the ground and ended up chair of the Premier League.

This is a precis:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/david-conn-wednesday-a-fading-force-while-richards-power-grows-589747.html

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2010, 09:29:27 PM »

Doug was/is nice. He just overstayed by a few years.

Offline myf

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »
Quote from: "Somniloquism"

Different context altogether though.  Huge amounts of TV money and sponsorship wasn't being handed out to the priveliged at the top of the tree back then.  The rich have got richer and the poor have got poorer...

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 09:53:08 PM »
Quote from: "Lucky Eddie"
Would have been Champions league in what seems like just a few seasons ago to gentlemen of a certain age...

1 Leeds United 42  13 8 0 38 13  9 8 4 36 24  74 37 +37 82
2 Manchester United 42  12 7 2 34 13  9 8 4 29 20  63 33 +30 78
3 Sheffield Wednesday 42  13 5 3 39 24  8 7 6 23 25  62 49 +13 75

1992. That was the last season before the premier league.

Also they got 75 points from 42 games, thats pro rata 67/68 points on a 38 game season. Such is the widening gap, that is becoming an increasingly unlikely points tally to achieve 3rd place or even top four.

Remember the good old days, win at home  and draw away and that would probably win the league

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 09:54:47 PM »
Quote from: "Lucky Eddie"
Would have been Champions league in what seems like just a few seasons ago to gentlemen of a certain age...

1 Leeds United 42  13 8 0 38 13  9 8 4 36 24  74 37 +37 82
2 Manchester United 42  12 7 2 34 13  9 8 4 29 20  63 33 +30 78
3 Sheffield Wednesday 42  13 5 3 39 24  8 7 6 23 25  62 49 +13 75

That season was probably the first I can remember really being into football though I'd followed it on and off for a few years before. I watched Leeds demolish Sheffield Wednesday 6-1 on The Big Match (not unlike them demolishing Villa a couple of months before) and it was one of the most exciting things I'd ever seen. Until they went down I'd always had Wednesday down as a big club on the strength of that season.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 10:00:35 PM »
I always remember the fact that their kop and the Holte had very similar capacities in the early 80s.

I think the one at Wolves was slightly bigger than the Holte, then Wednesday's was slightly smaller.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal