collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sheffield Wednesday in the brown stuff  (Read 12524 times)

Online Chris Harte

Sheffield Wednesday in the brown stuff
« on: July 23, 2010, 10:21:26 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_wed/8847626.stm

Sad to see such a famous old club in this sort of trouble.

Offline Ennis

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 10:24:34 AM »
Very sad indeed :0(

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 10:37:25 AM »
Not sad at all (except for their own fans), clubs need to stop living beyond their means, if they owe that sort of money to the IR, how much do they owe to people and businesses who can less afford to not be paid?

I'll bet they still have players on stupid wages.

Online mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
Very very said I was born in Sheffield and all my family support either Wednesday or United the way it should be, none of this Glory Hunting.

I moved to Brum when I was very young which I'm grateful for otherwise I wouldn't have supported the Villa.

Although I love Football it is making me feel a bit sick with all this money being thrown around and our woeful display in South Africa and I feel sorry for real clubs struggling.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
sheff wed in brown stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 10:49:24 AM »
It's a sad time when the people who run the club let themselves get into this mess they should not live beyond there means.

Online mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 10:55:12 AM »
Quote from: "Dave Cooper"
Not sad at all (except for their own fans), clubs need to stop living beyond their means, if they owe that sort of money to the IR, how much do they owe to people and businesses who can less afford to not be paid?

I'll bet they still have players on stupid wages.

I love the sympathy its hardly like Wednesday were throwing Money around people make mistakes the whole world runs on credit and unfortunately things go wrong its not always a case of greedy owners like at Man united.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 11:02:54 AM »
Would have been Champions league in what seems like just a few seasons ago to gentlemen of a certain age...

1 Leeds United 42  13 8 0 38 13  9 8 4 36 24  74 37 +37 82
2 Manchester United 42  12 7 2 34 13  9 8 4 29 20  63 33 +30 78
3 Sheffield Wednesday 42  13 5 3 39 24  8 7 6 23 25  62 49 +13 75

Offline march

Re: sheff wed in brown stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 11:07:24 AM »
Quote from: "darren woolley"
they should not live beyond there means.

that includes us, without Randy's cash injections of £40m per year we would be in serious trouble

Online Chris Harte

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 11:10:34 AM »
Quote from: "Lucky Eddie"
Would have been Champions league in what seems like just a few seasons ago to gentlemen of a certain age...

1 Leeds United 42  13 8 0 38 13  9 8 4 36 24  74 37 +37 82
2 Manchester United 42  12 7 2 34 13  9 8 4 29 20  63 33 +30 78
3 Sheffield Wednesday 42  13 5 3 39 24  8 7 6 23 25  62 49 +13 75

Blimey - I'm guessing that's as recent as 1992.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 11:16:25 AM »
Very sad in my book - with what is ahead economy wise, I fear this will become more and more common and may just wake football up to the reality of living in a bubble far removed from any sort of reality when it comes to running a business..

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 12:17:44 PM »
Quote from: "mrfuse"

I love the sympathy its hardly like Wednesday were throwing Money around people make mistakes the whole world runs on credit and unfortunately things go wrong its not always a case of greedy owners like at Man united.

They are heavily in debt, got relegated so will probably get lower gates yet up to last week were still signing players from Championship and Scottish Premiership sides.

As in all cases where clubs go bust I have loads of sympathy for the fans, but it's not like Wednesday will disappear, they will go into administration, have their debts wiped out in the process and still be playing albeit with a ten point deduction.

Personally I think all clubs who pay out money they haven't got on wages to players should be automatically relegated two divisions if they then have their debts wiped out by going into administration. Basically it's a form of cheating, clubs who ARE paying the bills probably can't afford players on high wages and are at a disadvantage.

By the way, Villa aren't in any trouble (I don't think!), Randy may have pumped in loads of cash but it's in the form of loans from his trust, so even if he left today as long as we can service those loans and pay all our other bills we wouldn't go bust.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 01:00:43 PM »
Shame - they always come across as the Villa of Sheffield.

United have no interest in playing football and never had. The fact that the animal Morgan is still there (and possibly captain) says all you need to know about them.

I can just about remember Sheffield Wednesday being one of the better teams in the country, getting to the League & FA Cup final in the same year.

Offline TimTheVillain

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 01:17:11 PM »
Shit happens.

They've been in no-mans land for a very long time now.

Offline TheBarneyArmy

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 01:18:19 PM »
Shame to see this happening, at least if pompey went we might see the back of the leper with the bell. Hillsborough is a classic style english ground, I have fond memories from back in 97 seeing a certain Mr Greedy Barry making his debut there.

Offline myf

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 01:37:09 PM »
Quote from: "Dave Cooper"
Quote from: "mrfuse"

They are heavily in debt, got relegated so will probably get lower gates yet up to last week were still signing players from Championship and Scottish Premiership sides.

As in all cases where clubs go bust I have loads of sympathy for the fans, but it's not like Wednesday will disappear, they will go into administration, have their debts wiped out in the process and still be playing albeit with a ten point deduction.

Personally I think all clubs who pay out money they haven't got on wages to players should be automatically relegated two divisions if they then have their debts wiped out by going into administration. Basically it's a form of cheating, clubs who ARE paying the bills probably can't afford players on high wages and are at a disadvantage.

By the way, Villa aren't in any trouble (I don't think!), Randy may have pumped in loads of cash but it's in the form of loans from his trust, so even if he left today as long as we can service those loans and pay all our other bills we wouldn't go bust.

Sad for their supporters though, and sad that English football has become more of a business than a sport.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal