collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Randy way or Citeh's Trillions ?  (Read 45418 times)

Offline VillaZogmariner

The Randy way or Citeh's Trillions ?
« Reply #225 on: July 25, 2010, 01:42:55 PM »
Quote from: "dave.woodhall"
Quote from: "curiousorange"
Quote from: "dave.woodhall"
Quote from: "curiousorange"

It was probably like Peter Ridsdale entering negotiations with Seth Johnson.

Mythical?

At these figures, yeah!

That Ridsdale/Johnson story was untrue. They never met before the deal was signed.

What Risdale/Johnson story?

I'd forgotten all about Seth Johnson until he was mentioned here - I'm sure when he was at Derby(?) before Leeds he looked like a shit hot midfielder. Him and Hopkin (another blast from the past) from Palace.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #226 on: July 25, 2010, 03:16:13 PM »
Quote from: "Chris Smith"
Quote from: "TheSandman"
Quote from: "Risso"
Quote from: "cdvillafan"
Americans are only interested in "stars" and O'Neill is scared to sign them.

Nah.

If he wanted stars he'd have to give us a lot more money. I think their policy has been very deliberate.

Accoring to the General Randy and MON are still working very closely. I'll take that over anything Pelty has to say.

Where has Pelty said they're not?  All he did was give his honest opinion, which is one that an increasing number of people seem to be agreeing with.

My point is that there is no evidence that Randy Lerner agrees with him, which is not surprising as I don't think Pelty has a fucking clue if I'm honest.

Don't you think he might have more of a clue than you do?

No, he's been a Villa fan for 5 minutes I don't think he understands the game. I read more good sense from posters on here every day than I have ever seen from him.

I'm on about some of the information within his post such as Heskey being our biggest earner.

I believe that other things such as the comments posted regarding the manager are his opinion. And in that I agree with you that I'd value his opinion but not more than that of other posters on here.

Offline Eigentor

• Muppet Hero
« Reply #227 on: July 26, 2010, 05:48:15 PM »
Quote from: "gregnash"
I'm not even sure what Randy's way is. Has he got a plan?

Randy seems to have picked up that the most successful clubs either have continuity of the manager, a settled squad, or both. Manchester United and Chelsea have barely changed the core of their teams since 2006. The former have had the same manager for 25 years. Arsenal deals somewhat more in the transfer market, but has kept the same manager since 1996.

Man City's habit of signing seven or eight players (with big egos) every season and changing manager whenever there is a sign of adversity may not help them.

However, whether O'Neill buys into the idea that continuity is ideal is an open question. Certainly, his habit of alienating players is not helpful. If we have to sell Sidwell, Reo-Coker, Luke Young, Shorey, Beye and Davies, we will have to sign six or seven players if our squad is not to be wafer-thin the coming season.

Unfortunately, in this respect, I don't think the comparisons between Benitez and O'Neill are completely misguided. Benitez is a better tactician, more knowledgeable and analytical, but MON is perhaps better at developing players. However, if Liverpool had managed to keep Alonso, Arbeloa, Riise and Keane, they would perhaps have been in a different position now.

In other words, a manager's ability to keep players happy, and only sell them if he knows that he can get someone better in, may be more important than we think.

Offline Bigmelonface

« Reply #228 on: July 26, 2010, 05:59:54 PM »
Quote from: "Eigentor"
Quote from: "gregnash"
I'm not even sure what Randy's way is. Has he got a plan?

Randy seems to have picked up that the most successful clubs either have continuity of the manager, a settled squad, or both. Manchester United and Chelsea have barely changed the core of their teams since 2006. The former have had the same manager for 25 years.

Man City's habit of signing seven or eight players (with big egos) every season and changing manager whenever there is a sign of adversity may not help them.

I see what you are saying; however, Chelsea had to through the same stage Man city are going through now to get where they are.

Chelsea have signed more players with big ego's as you put it than any other team in recent history.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal