collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by tomd2103
[Today at 12:14:34 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:06:52 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Hillbilly
[April 24, 2024, 11:46:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[April 24, 2024, 11:04:47 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 24, 2024, 10:35:53 PM]

MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[April 24, 2024, 10:01:13 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[April 24, 2024, 09:46:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Sky Sports 1 & 2 coming to Freeview...  (Read 7532 times)

Offline eastie

Sky Sports 1 & 2 coming to Freeview...
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 06:37:18 PM »
I've been thinking about going HD- my tv is HD ready- is the quality that much better than the normal
sky sports?

Offline nuninho

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 06:48:54 PM »
Yes.  It is noticeable.  I certainly wouldn't downgrade.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 06:53:34 PM »
Quote from: "east19"
I've been thinking about going HD- my tv is HD ready- is the quality that much better than the normal
sky sports?

I won't subscribe to Sky: its a principle thing. However, I recently had Freesat installed.

Having watched a lot of the World Cup, the Open and Wimbledon on BBC HD, I would honestly say that the quality I now get from my LCD TV is about the same as I used to get on my old CRT TV that was carted off 5 years ago...

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 07:37:39 PM »
Sky can do one. Football on the TV should be available to all.

Offline eastie

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2010, 07:51:30 PM »
I take it from that topdeck that you feel HD wouldn't be worthwhile?

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 08:34:38 PM »
Sky could be £1.00 a month and I still wouldn't have it, since getting rid 5 years ago I haven't missed it a bit, apart from when the Ashes were on and even then TMS made up for it.

Offline Lowendbehold

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 09:56:03 PM »
I had a senior moment a few months ago and kicked Sky out and went to BT Vision.  I was paying £47 a month for Sky but no HD, ESPN, telephone or internet.

Just added Sky Sports 1 and 2, which includes ESPN and the total cost for it all including BT Kids and Movies, unlimited internet and free telephone calls 24/7 is £45 a month.

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 10:22:56 PM »
Quote from: "TopDeck113"
I won't subscribe to Sky: its a principle thing. However, I recently had Freesat installed.

My thinking too, though I reckon it's a pretty futile gesture. With what I pay for broadband and my mobile phone, and the fact I hardly ever use my landline, reckon there's a better deal out there somewhere for me. Am seriously thinking of having some kind of package that would enable me to get rid of the landline. If cable was an added benefit at not too much extra cost, my principles will be right out the window.

I don't want to go with BT; it might be a case of illogical female logic, but those frigging BT adverts about the life of that ultra modern couple [and yes, I know he's a Villa fan] irritate me off to the point of turn off.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 10:30:04 PM »

I'm saying that when I bought my HD-Ready LCD TV I don't actually think the picture quality was as sharp as on my 15 year-old Sony CRT dinosaur that it replaced.  Now having HD has simply taken my viewing experience back to where I was before.

Offline MalcolmP

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 10:53:40 PM »

I'm saying that when I bought my HD-Ready LCD TV I don't actually think the picture quality was as sharp as on my 15 year-old Sony CRT dinosaur that it replaced.  Now having HD has simply taken my viewing experience back to where I was before.

My Plasma HD picture (Only 720 not 1080 full HD) is FAR SUPERIOR than my old Sony CRT which I still use in another room. SD picture is also better than my old CRT. If your HD picture is not better than your old CRT then I reckon you should have gone to Specsavers!!

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2010, 12:11:26 AM »
Of course HD pictures are superior. But non-HD broadcasts range from clear and crisp i.e. the adverts to downright appalling like sports events where you are constantly encouraged to subscribe to an HD channel, because the picture you are watching is so poor.

In that respect, the CRT hasn't been improved upon that much as yet.

Offline dotcomsimon

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2010, 12:28:53 AM »
Quote from: "nuninho"
On a related note, what date does Sky Sports News HD launch?  That I am looking forward to.

According to Digital Spy its 23rd August, I would have thought it would be ready for the start of the season.
With SSN going to pay only supscriptions I guess it will soon be off freeview

Offline BedsVillain

• Twitter:
  • GM : May, 2013
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2010, 12:33:00 AM »
I subscribe to Virgin Media and got a cracking deal last Summer when I threatened to leave them. I got a free HD set top box, All the TV channels + SKYSports/ESPN and Movies + Telephone + 20mb Broadband for £50 a month. They are now launching SKYSports HD1&2 + all the HD movies channels for another £7 a month from 2nd August!

The HD channels from Virgin through my FullHD 1080p TV is absolutely amazing! The world cup looked stunning this year, it's hard to watch it back in standard definition now! Would highly recommend it!

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2010, 01:03:53 AM »
Quote from: "MalcolmP"

My Plasma HD picture (Only 720 not 1080 full HD) is FAR SUPERIOR than my old Sony CRT which I still use in another room. SD picture is also better than my old CRT. If your HD picture is not better than your old CRT then I reckon you should have gone to Specsavers!!

Think there is a pretty substantial difference between HD ready TV's and Full HD though.

Ours is HD ready, and whilst decent there is a bit of blurring up close. I generally don't sit right on top of the TV though, so it's fine. We only have standard digital with Sky, and I don't think we'd see a vast improvement if we went with their HD shite.

Probably would if we went with a new Full HD TV, but that's not a leap I'm prepared to make ATM. I'd be looking to downscale with the cants, if anything. If our Satellite BB connection becomes more stable, or ADSL becomes available round here, I might rely on sopcast completely and ditch the feckers altogether.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal