collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:38:25 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

Brian Evans by maidstonevillain
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Jacob Ramsey by AV84
[Today at 12:12:05 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 12:04:41 AM]

Matty Cash - Polish international by PeterWithe
[Today at 12:03:00 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:02:34 AM]

Press-ing on triumphantly by dave.woodhall
[April 18, 2024, 11:47:47 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Remember that stuff about gay players?  (Read 26206 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Remember that stuff about gay players?
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 10:14:07 AM »
Quote from: "John M"
I think the 'ladish' atmosphere football generates doesn't attract gay people to the game.  Of the gay friends I have, and admittedly it's not a big list, none of them like football.  So, in order for there to be gay footballers now, they would need to have a passion for and take up the game at a young age, which I find unlikely.  Of course, those that were unsure of their sexuality at an early age and are now finding they are gay, might well be playing somewhere.

Sorry if that sounds a bit homophobic, it's honestly not meant like that, but I just don't see young gay men being drawn to football.

I agree John, I don't think there are enough gay footballers to make it worthwhile for somebody to put his head above the parapet.  It's not like being the first is going to pave the way for dozens more to come out is it?

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 10:15:52 AM »
There is a bunch of gays sit infront of my old seat in the lower holte. Before the game they spend the whole time giggling and tickling each other.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Quote from: "Risso"
Quote from: "Dave Cooper"

One did come out a few years ago, he ended up committing suicide.

The two things are unconnected though.  He killed himself because he was accused of sexually assaulting someone.

I think all charges against him had already been dropped?

And presumably the allegations were made against him in the first place because he was a famous footballer? which does connect the 2 things.

Offline Risso

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 10:33:37 AM »
Quote from: "Chico Hamilton III"

The two things are unconnected though.  He killed himself because he was accused of sexually assaulting someone.

And presumably the allegations were made against him in the first place because he was a famous footballer? which does connect the 2 things.

Looking at Wiki, it was a 17 year old boy in the States who accused Fashanu.  I therefore doubt his status as a footballer made much of a difference really.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 10:41:02 AM »

Looking at Wiki, it was a 17 year old boy in the States who accused Fashanu.  I therefore doubt his status as a footballer made much of a difference really.

His depression will have had a lot to do with the abuse he got from both crowds and fellow professionals though.

Offline Risso

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2010, 10:47:17 AM »

His depression will have had a lot to do with the abuse he got from both crowds and fellow professionals though.

Including his own brother, utter scumbag and waste of good oxygen John Fashanu.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2010, 10:51:37 AM »
Quote from: "Chico Hamilton III"

maybe

But looking at press articles from the time, Fashanu left a note, claiming the the 17 year old was blackmailing him. Might imply that the kid was aware of Fashanu's status? not sure.

What was scandalous was the way he was bullied by Clough for being openly gay.

Offline Risso

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 11:02:06 AM »
I agree Chico, and that's part of the reason I don't buy into the whole Clough mythology thing.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »
I would imagine being gay in normal situations is hard enough, the pressures in this more tolerant times still have to be high.
To add to those pressures already associated by being in the media spotlight is daft, unless circumstances force the issue.
Football like any team sport is a hotbed of verbal and often physical bullying, be it in the name of comradeship, team spirit, or whatever, so I'd surmise, to prosper in such a society, a hard skin and an ability to give as good as you can is essential.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2010, 11:12:05 AM »
I think the 'ladish' atmosphere football generates doesn't attract gay people to the game.  Of the gay friends I have, and admittedly it's not a big list, none of them like football.  So, in order for there to be gay footballers now, they would need to have a passion for and take up the game at a young age, which I find unlikely.  Of course, those that were unsure of their sexuality at an early age and are now finding they are gay, might well be playing somewhere.

Sorry if that sounds a bit homophobic, it's honestly not meant like that, but I just don't see young gay men being drawn to football.

I agree John, I don't think there are enough gay footballers to make it worthwhile for somebody to put his head above the parapet.  It's not like being the first is going to pave the way for dozens more to come out is it?

What do you base that on? The government figure for percentage of gay men in the UK is 6%. Why wouldn't there be a similar figure for footballers?

Online Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 11:22:54 AM »
Quote from: "Lucky Eddie"
Well I think that they're all cowards.

I think that makes you a bit of an idiot.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 11:23:49 AM »
Quote from: "Villadawg"

What do you base that on? The government figure for percentage of gay men in the UK is 6%. Why wouldn't there be a similar figure for footballers?

6% sounds low to me.

Offline Risso

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 11:24:20 AM »
Quote from: "Villadawg"

Because as John says, it's not a sport that attracts many gay men.  Government figures show that nearly 4% of the UK's population is made up of people of Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi origin, but the actual percentage of professional footballers in this country from that group of people is pretty close to zero.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 11:27:12 AM »
Quote from: "villa `cross the mersey"
I may be somewhat naive here, but.....why is there such a desire for people to "come out"?

I don't think there is. The point is that it's something that people feel they need to hide and cover up because of the consequences they would face in the footballing world. It has nothing to do with shouting it from the roof tops.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2010, 11:27:45 AM »

Because as John says, it's not a sport that attracts many gay men.  Government figures show that nearly 4% of the UK's population is made up of people of Indian, Pakistani or Bangladeshi origin, but the actual percentage of professional footballers in this country from that group of people is pretty close to zero.

But surely that is because of social, cultural and historical factors, with Asian Britons traditionally preferring cricket, plus the history of racism in the game, whereas sexuality crosses all cultural groupings.

Although there's also an element of chicken and egg at play, I guess, in that if the sport doesn't attract gay men, it is probably because of the homophobia that exists around it.

Then there's the fact that whilst it is pretty easy to spot that a person is Asian, it is not so easy to identify a person's sexuality.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal