collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Remember that stuff about gay players?  (Read 26151 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Remember that stuff about gay players?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 09:32:28 AM »
Mad really isn't it, this being 2010 and all.

Offline BannedUserIAT

• http://www.avfc.com.au
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 09:32:50 AM »
A few years back, a rugby league player in Sydney came out of the closet. Just as his new Puma ad came out ("I am King"). You can imagine how that particular image got defaced and laughed at.

You'd like to think in this day and age that a gay man can come out without it being a big deal. Sadly, we are far from that.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »
Quote from: "Chris Smith"
I reckon a gay player would be as worried about the stick he'd get from other players as he would from the fans. Imagine having to deal with a twat like John Terry if you are openly gay. It's easy to tell them that they should stand up for themselves when you're not the one who will have to endure it every single day.

Indeed.  Just look at the stick le Saux got from that fat twat Fowler for daring to read the Guardian.  The first time a tackle went astray in training it'd be "bender" this and "poof" that.

The fact is, it's just an occupation where you're unlikely to find many openly gay employees.  I had a gay mate in Wigan who was a quantity surveyor, and working around building sites, there's no way on earth he'd have admitted to it at work, no way at all.

Online Lucky Eddie

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 09:38:05 AM »
Well I think that they're all cowards.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 09:47:57 AM »
Quote from: "villa `cross the mersey"
I may be somewhat naive here, but.....why is there such a desire for people to "come out"? Surely sexuality is a private thing anyhow. I daresay many posters on here are gay or bisexual however I do not see the point of them openly expressing that in the public domain. I agree that no one should be persecuted for their colour, religion or sexuality but human nature is such that there will always be those who have no tolerance for others different to themselves.

Bloody hell I have just read the post above and find myself agreeing with Greg :)

I remember that questionnaire started with a particularly daft question, which was "should gay footballers come out". Surely there's no answer to that - some might want to, some might not.

The thing to remember is that "in the closet" footballers also have a life outside football.

They'll be living a lie outside the game as well as in it, and considering that some of them start with clubs age 10, and finish age 35, that's, what, a third or a quarter so of their life spent being forced to be someone they're not.

The ideal situation would be one whereby they'd feel comfortable enough within the football environment to come out, if they wanted to. You only have to see the moronic chanting at Upson year in, year out to realise that that isn't the case by a long chalk

Offline Risso

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 09:54:14 AM »
Quote from: "Lucky Eddie"
Well I think that they're all cowards.

Seriously?

Online Lucky Eddie

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 09:56:11 AM »
Yeah, it takes one brave man to start to change that. First one, then two then three and then, seasons later admittedly, gay footballers will become accepted by society as black players have.

It just takes ONE! Yet despite the bravado of the 2010 playing generation, none it would seem are brave enough. Shame on them!

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 10:02:32 AM »
I've always found the vocabulary in these debates interesting. Why are you deemed "tolerant" if you are not racist or homophobic? Toleration implies they are doing or are something wrong, surely?

And being "homophobic" implies that all people who dislike gays are afraid of them. Surely this can't be true of all "homophobes".

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
What Gay players?

Offline Greg N'Ash

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 10:03:29 AM »
maybe they've seen all the crap sol campbell gets and thought 'nah'? i don't even know if he is gay but that would put anyone off.

Offline Glenn Peen

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 10:03:33 AM »
Out of interest, Lucky Eddie, is there anything in your life that you'd be feel uncomfortable broadcasting to the world? No? Maybe? Yes? Go on, do it - tell us your biggest secret. Let's see how we - and you - cope.

And one player, Justin Fashanu, did come out. No one followed him. And the tale ended tragically.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 10:04:26 AM »
Quote from: "Lucky Eddie"
Yeah, it takes one brave man to start to change that. First one, then two then three and then, seasons later admittedly, gay footballers will become accepted by society as black players have.

It just takes ONE! Yet despite the bravado of the 2010 playing generation, none it would seem are brave enough. Shame on them!

One did come out a few years ago, he ended up committing suicide.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 10:10:35 AM »
To be fair, maybe Luck Eddie is implying that it might be slightly easier for a Premiership millionaire player to "come out" with all the support he would get from celebs, Max Clifford etc. than a run-of-the-mill player.

However, I have no doubt that the Sun would have all sorts of crap headlines lined up. And unlike "out" actors, popstars and the aforementioned lesbian tennis players, the changing rooms and crowds are a totally different environment.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2010, 10:11:20 AM »
I think the 'ladish' atmosphere football generates doesn't attract gay people to the game.  Of the gay friends I have, and admittedly it's not a big list, none of them like football.  So, in order for there to be gay footballers now, they would need to have a passion for and take up the game at a young age, which I find unlikely.  Of course, those that were unsure of their sexuality at an early age and are now finding they are gay, might well be playing somewhere.

Sorry if that sounds a bit homophobic, it's honestly not meant like that, but I just don't see young gay men being drawn to football.

Offline Risso

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 10:12:18 AM »
Quote from: "Dave Cooper"

One did come out a few years ago, he ended up committing suicide.

The two things are unconnected though.  He killed himself because he was accused of sexually assaulting someone.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal