collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 0% Villa. The Damned United.  (Read 20717 times)

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
0% Villa. The Damned United.
« on: July 18, 2010, 07:17:42 PM »
On tonight at 9pm BBC2. I know the Clough family were not keen on it, and theres obviously some artistic licence taken with accuracy. But I think its a great performance from Michael Sheen as Cloughy, and Timothy Spall as Peter Taylor.
Good entertainment and gives you a feel of what football used to be like.
Theres a documentary about old big `ead afterwards.

I suggest you sit down and watch both programmes young man !

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 07:21:45 PM »
Thanks mate. I'll probably watch the film. Is the documentary new, or the same one they've already shown a couple of times?

Offline Hammer

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 07:23:52 PM »
I think it's new as we've had to subtitle it from scratch.

Offline Holtemeister

• Location: Living in Birmingham (just) but definately still a Yam Yam
  • GM : 22.07.2016
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 07:28:54 PM »
It is a really enjoyable film to be fair.... not sure over how accurate it actually is but Sheen is excellent as Clough.

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 07:35:12 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t61h7

I think the documentary after is new, although of course the nature of such a programme means there will be plenty you have seen before.

The BBC links mentions contributions from MON, I wonder if he will mention about being left out a European Cup Final. It must still rankle.

From Wikipedia:-
In an interview with (Pat) Murphy, Martin O'Neill stated that he had noticed an obvious error:The film implies that Dave Mackay was still a Derby County player when Clough resigned as Derby manager in 1973. In fact, Mackay had left Derby in 1971 to become player-manager of Swindon Town, and later manager of Nottingham Forest. O'Neill's quote however is debatable as the film clearly states that Mackay was signed in 1968 by Derby County, and also has Clough yearn in 1973 that he gave Mackay two years as a player, clearly insinuating that Mackay had been released at least three years prior to his appointment as manager.
O'Neill also questioned the portrayal of the relationship between Clough and Peter Taylor. He praised the performance of the actors, however, particularly that of Michael Sheen as Clough.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 07:42:17 PM »
The Damned United, both film and book, are decent fictionalised biopics, if you want a real "warts and all" portrayal of Clough I'd recommend Provided You Don't Kiss Me.

Offline rutski

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 07:45:40 PM »
read a few of david peaces books where he takes a story that actually happened and inserts a story into the thread which is totally fictional! I am not sure yet after 5 books whether this is real clever or a bit of a cop out. Watch the film but do not treat it as gospel, i cannot imagine cloughie getting on his knees to anyone!

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 08:00:51 PM »
Awesome film, just awesome.

seemed to get it all spot on, though obviously some of it will have been made up for entertainment purposes.

Offline junxs

• http://www.avfc.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 08:14:34 PM »
Watched this about a year ago, fantastic movie. Think its a bit soon to watch it again though as it's still pretty fresh in my memory. Will definitely watch the documentary afterwards though.

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 08:15:07 PM »

Offline eastie

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 08:16:50 PM »
Good film and mon is involved in the clough documentary afterwards.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 08:18:33 PM »
I'm really looking forward to this, I never got chance to go the cinema too watch it.

Offline rutski

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 08:19:40 PM »
Quote from: "Chipsticks"
Awesome film, just awesome.

seemed to get it all spot on, though obviously some of it will have been made up for entertainment purposes.
Pat Murphy who does reporting on both football and cricket on 5 live did an after dinner speech for our cricket club and from his discussions with the Clough family and his own relationship it was a far way off from being spot on! There is a lot of fiction in this book and a higher percentage within the film! Some great performances from Sheen and Spall, some shit ones ie stephen graham, who cannot get rid of his stupid scouse drawl no matter who he plays, and an entertaining film non the less!

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 08:45:19 PM »
Strange, I saw the DVD of this in HMV the other day. Was going to pick it up. Still think I will, won't have time to watch the film tonight, what with it being the middle of the exam-marking season :(

Offline eastie

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 09:00:41 PM »
Agree dave.,provided you don't kiss me was a cracking book about clough but I preferred his autobiography in which as always the great man was very frank in his views!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal