collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Transfer Tactics  (Read 11890 times)

Offline Mazrim

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 09:50:12 AM »
According to the most accurate sources we have, he cost £8m and has not triggered any add ons if there ever were any. I dont think £8m is excessive for a highly rated young English defender and we fought off Spurs to get him.
He's been at Villa three years and his contract is running down so of course he will be less valuable.

We'll have to agree to disagree on how good he is.
But before he was injured he was in good form alongside Cuellar. Turning in a top performance against Liverpool at Anfield as I recall.

Offline Greg N'Ash

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2010, 10:03:39 AM »
its going to be a struggle to get any sort of decent fee for him. last year of contract, we can't play him because then we'd have to offer a new contract. Everyone knows this and will bide their time

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Transfer Tactics
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2010, 10:29:32 AM »
Goping back to the original post, this is what I think our approach to the transfer market is:-
1.  We can't afford the game's superstars, so try and get the next batch in early, which would be their early 20s.  Don't be afraid to pay over the odds, or what is percieved to be over the odds, as we should get many year's service due to their age or a good sell on value.  See Milner, A Young and Delph
2.  Suppliment this by the signing of older experienced professionals.  These allow you to be competitive while waiting for the players mentioning above to develop.  Due to lack of sell on value and shorter term of service, don't spend as much on these players.  See Dunne, Petrov and Carew.
3.  Focus on the best of your youth products to develop alongside the signings in category 1.  See Gabby, Delgouneso and Albrighton.

Now, we do seem to be largely limiting ourselves to the UK market, but other than that I find the above to be a sensible way of approaching things.

Offline sfx412

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2010, 10:45:59 AM »
Quote from: "John M"

Now, we do seem to be largely limiting ourselves to the UK market, but other than that I find the above to be a sensible way of approaching things.

Firstly RL owns the club, runs the club and can dictate what and to whom he likes if he wants.

Secondly, if you feel the money paid for an injured winger who didn't start in reality for much of the season, or the upwards of 8 mill for Delph, who when he played was poor, good spends fine, I don't. Similarly, that last minute buys of Dunne, Collinson, proved good as the season progressed, but to illustrate my point when did he buy them.

Thirdly most clubs have already bought players from overseas, many last season found some gems, if we are this poor club who can't spend money why does he not buy players from abroad and early.

fourthly we are the only club in the top 8 who have not yet strengthened their squad, yet, and I maintain anyone buying anything, players cars, in semi auction situation know that the longer you take to pay the higher the price gets. Even the 'good' buys cost more than they could have. How much would Milner have cost when DOL first tried for him, when Mon first tried and failed for him, before he paid more than anyone else ?

Lastly

Good point about calling him names.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Transfer Tactics
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2010, 10:49:07 AM »
Quote from: "sfx412"

Secondly, if you feel the money paid for an injured winger who didn't start in reality for much of the season, or the upwards of 8 mill for Delph, who when he played was poor

That's a bit harsh, surely?

He looked pretty promising to me. Not seen enough to annoint him as a brilliant signing, and that's a big transfer fee to live up to, but to say he was poor strikes me as somewhat over the top.

Offline Mazrim

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2010, 10:55:05 AM »
If you think Delph (who actually cost £6m, the add ons havent triggered yet) is a poor player you havent got the first clue about football. Not the first. And who the hell is Collinson?

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Transfer Tactics
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2010, 10:59:41 AM »
Delph was a bit out of his depth v Wigan.

But the games he started v Man Utd and Brighton he was superb.

Offline Concrete John

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2010, 11:00:27 AM »
You're view of our tactics seem to revolve around the 'when' within any given transfer window, while I was commenting on the longer term aim of who we sign and what we pay for them, which I think is much more important.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Transfer Tactics
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2010, 11:09:57 AM »
Quote from: "PaulTheVillan"

On the first game of last season, the entire side looked out of their depth against Wigan, mind.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Transfer Tactics
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2010, 11:13:57 AM »
Quote from: "pauliewalnuts"
Quote from: "PaulTheVillan"

On the first game of last season, the entire side looked out of their depth against Wigan, mind.

agreed and as was previously said he was excellent against Man Utd once he had settled in.

Offline Concrete John

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2010, 11:23:33 AM »
Other than the Wigan game, I've been very impressed whenever I've seen Fabian Delph.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Transfer Tactics
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2010, 12:11:26 PM »
I can't remember what away game it was (might have been Bolton) but Delph was superb in the first half. We've got potenially a very good player there.

Offline badluckeric(gates)

Re: Transfer Tactics
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2010, 02:19:58 PM »
Quote from: "Trinitymiddle"
Quote from: "sfx412"
We all know Mon takes his time in the transfer market and still often gets it wrong, as Petrov confirms in his recent Sky blurb, no time to panic as he always leaves transfers until the last few days.

Most realistic fans will appreciate he tends to pay over the odds for players, is that partly due to him leaving matters so late, and the other managers knowing his style. He limits himself further perhaps by never (rarely) buying from outside these Isles and most will appreciate the cheaper players do come from over the water.

Now as we are the only team in the top 8 who have yet to purchase improvements, perhaps its time for RL to suggest to Wonder Mon, he change his tactics in the transfer market. Perhaps if he did he'd surprise a few and maybe do a better job.

But then if 4 seasons of watching plan A, with no plan B is anything to go bye, I won't be holding my breath, but then, as a long time Villa fan I live in hope.

What's the point in Randy Lerner paying MON however much he pays him if he is going to tell him how to do his job?

You're obviously not a MON fan and improving every season for the last 4 years clearly isn't good enough for you, even though every year there are more clubs with more money than us.

Also, I dont think that many of the top 8 (except Citeh, who are a law unto themselves) have sttrengthened that significantly so far. There's still 4 weeks to go and the vast majority of all transfer business is done in the last week - it's how business works, unless you are prepared to pay vastly over the odds, a la Citeh.

Finally I dont agree with your general assertion that Martin has performed poorly in the transfer market. He replaced the entire back 4 last season for the cost of half a Man City centre back, and save for one game, would have been the best in the league. All of his big buys tend to be worth more when he sells them than when he buys them. Every manager buys a few carthorses and MON is no exception, but he is far from a poor performer in the transfer market.

You talk of living in hope, but you seem to have abandoned all that before a ball has been kicked or the transfer window has closed.

Keep The Faith

Top post in my opinion. well said.

Offline mshurst

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2010, 03:19:13 PM »
In terms of Delph.

I think MON saw him as more of a 'potential' player. He's only young. With the training and experience he can gain from Villa he'll be an amazing player in a year or two, and in my opinion that's what he's doing.

The games that Delph has played, I feel, MON is using as an 'update' to see how well Delph is doing in the PL. The training difference between Leeds and Villa is a massive step up, and MON knows this, which is why he's building him up to be a great player.

Think about it ... if you play for Leeds and then get signed by a PL club you're going to shit yourself. VP is an intimidating place.

Offline Mazrim

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2010, 03:32:36 PM »
Elland Road is pretty intimidating too but there's no doubt there's an adjustment in quality required from League 1 to the PL.

I think MON just saw an obvious top player in the making and went for it, like he did with Young. I agree with him. He's going to be something special if he fully recovers from his injury.
Its a real shame too because I think he would have been ready to play a more significant role from the start this season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal