collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 12:00:06 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Hillbilly
[April 24, 2024, 11:46:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[April 24, 2024, 11:04:47 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 24, 2024, 10:35:53 PM]

NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[April 24, 2024, 10:20:26 PM]

MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[April 24, 2024, 10:01:13 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[April 24, 2024, 09:46:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Transfer Tactics  (Read 11928 times)

Offline Greg N'Ash

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 08:51:54 PM »
Hmmm....Its worth noting he had to replace the entire back four last season, because his original replacements to replace the original back four were deemed to be needing replacing

Offline Mazrim

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 11:14:02 PM »
Manager in "buying better players" shocker!

By the way greg, he didn't buy players to replace Bouma, Mellberg and Laursen for any reason other than they were injured or leaving. But when he needed to replace those players, he did so admirably. Thats also worth noting.

Offline picicata

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 11:23:56 PM »
Reading your post I was thinking 'yep, this guy is raising some interesting points'... and then you went and spoilt it all by calling him 'Wonder Mon'.

Why did you have to go and do that? It turned a reasonable, well thought out post into a childish side swipe in one easy move!

Offline Greg N'Ash

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 11:25:54 PM »
Quote from: "Mazrim"

By the way greg, he didn't buy players to replace Bouma, Mellberg and Laursen for any reason other than they were injured or leaving. But when he needed to replace those players, he did so admirably. Thats also worth noting.

maybe, but behind collins and dunne, there's davies and knight.. behind warnock and cuellar there's shorey, young, beye. None of the replacement's replacements couldn't have been bought when he arrived, not last summer.

Offline Mazrim

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 12:07:10 AM »
Quote from: "gregnash"

maybe, but behind collins and dunne, there's davies and knight.. behind warnock and cuellar there's shorey, young, beye. None of the replacement's replacements couldn't have been bought when he arrived, not last summer.

Knight was back up who was sold at profit. He did alright then we sold him and upgraded. Laursen and Davies did well as a pair so I'm not sure what you're getting at there. Shorey was bought because Bouma was injured whereas Warnock was bought to truly replace Bouma. Beye was a back up who could have been needed but wasnt. Should have played more perhaps. So?

What you mean by this:
"None of the replacement's replacements couldn't have been bought when he arrived, not last summer"
Christ alone knows.

Offline Greg N'Ash

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 12:19:15 AM »

Knight was back up who was sold at profit. He did alright then we sold him and upgraded. Laursen and Davies did well as a pair so I'm not sure what you're getting at there. Shorey was bought because Bouma was injured whereas Warnock was bought to truly replace Bouma. Beye was a back up who could have been needed but wasnt. Should have played more perhaps. So?

What you mean by this:
"None of the replacement's replacements couldn't have been bought when he arrived, not last summer"
Christ alone knows

Simple. none of last summer's buys came from top clubs. Dunne was at premoney bottom half citeh, warnock, blackburn, collins, west ham. Could have bought them at the time instead of wasting money on davies, knight  shorey etc. hell, probably have got them cheaper.

Offline Mazrim

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 12:55:56 AM »
Sunday night crack smoking greg?

Why would we have bought Dunne to replace Laursen a few years ago when Laursen was doing just fine? Or are you saying we should have bought Dunne as back up instead of Knight?
How do you know he was available? And for less than the £5m we paid for him? I doubt it.

Did you know Collins was a good player a few years ago? You shoud have said. Nobody esle did. And Warnock. We didnt need to replace Bouma then either.

The fact is, when MON had to replace the defenders we lost long term, we replaced them with one of the best defences in the league and for less than the price of a Lescott.
True or false?

Offline Greg N'Ash

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 07:23:46 AM »
Sunday night crack smoking greg?

Why would we have bought Dunne to replace Laursen a few years ago when Laursen was doing just fine? Or are you saying we should have bought Dunne as back up instead of Knight?
How do you know he was available? And for less than the £5m we paid for him? I doubt it.

Did you know Collins was a good player a few years ago? You shoud have said. Nobody esle did. And Warnock. We didnt need to replace Bouma then either.

The fact is, when MON had to replace the defenders we lost long term, we replaced them with one of the best defences in the league and for less than the price of a Lescott.
True or false?

Forget Laursen, he could have bought Dunne instead of Davies. The point i'm making is the likes of Davies, Shorey etc., weren't the best we could afford at the time or some sort of transitional players before we could buy the likes of Dunne, Warnock and Collins which is how some are making them out to be. They were the players he wanted at the time and he could have quite easily have bought who he did last summer earlier if need be as the fees we bought them for  and the size of clubs they were at show.

Offline Mazrim

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 08:30:42 AM »

Forget Laursen, he could have bought Dunne instead of Davies.

Says who? And how do you know Laursen and Dunne could have played together? They're both too similar to be a partnership in my opinion.
Dunne was needed because we'd lost Laursen.

The point i'm making is the likes of Davies, Shorey etc., weren't the best we could afford at the time or some sort of transitional players before we could buy the likes of Dunne, Warnock and Collins which is how some are making them out to be. They were the players he wanted at the time and he could have quite easily have bought who he did last summer earlier if need be as the fees we bought them for and the size of clubs they were at show.

You have a very strange view of how transfers work. As if its just as simple as going to clubs who are smaller than we are and offering peanuts for their players, then sitting back and watching the magic happen.

Anyway, the penny is still not dropping. Warnock is a replacement for Bouma. Until it became clear we would be losing Bouma there was no need to spend relatively big money on replacing him, yes? We're not Man City who keep buying players regardless, we have to spend money effectively. Shorey was a contingency who may have worked out but Warnock cost twice as much. We needed cover, Shorey was cover, Warnock is more than that.

As for Davies. You keep making him out to be some sort of complete failure and you're wrong. At the time we bought him (when we were hardly a major force in the league) MON obviously wanted a long term option and that was Davies who, once he'd settled in, performed well and earned a call up to England. He was the right age and personality for us.
He kept loads of clean sheets with Laursen and Knight. Hardly a disaster.
The only real downside as I see it is his injuries.

It seems you're expecting every player to work out, even the ones bought as cover. Good luck with that then because it doesnt happen at any club in any league with any manager.

Offline Greg N'Ash

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 08:42:08 AM »
heh. i love the way you just decide who's a replacement for who. Couldn't collins have been Laursen's replacement?

Look the bottom line is we're not shopping in a different market last summer to the one where we purchased Davies, Shorey etc.., In august 07 Citeh were a skint club finishing below us, while we had a billionaire and were paying top wages as we've found out since. If anything it should have been easier to buy him than last summer. the fact that he then paid more for Davies than a lot of established premier centre halfs shows he really wanted him, and i don't believe collins or Dunne were even considered. The likes of NRC weren't cheap either even now so weren't any sort of stop gaps. And its not just me who thinks Davies has failed or he wouldn't be on the transfer list no?

Offline Mazrim

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 09:12:52 AM »
heh. i love the way you just decide who's a replacement for who. Couldn't collins have been Laursen's replacement?

Look the bottom line is we're not shopping in a different market last summer to the one where we purchased Davies, Shorey etc.., In august 07 Citeh were a skint club finishing below us, while we had a billionaire and were paying top wages as we've found out since. If anything it should have been easier to buy him than last summer. the fact that he then paid more for Davies than a lot of established premier centre halfs shows he really wanted him, and i don't believe collins or Dunne were even considered. The likes of NRC weren't cheap either even now so weren't any sort of stop gaps. And its not just me who thinks Davies has failed or he wouldn't be on the transfer list no?

I dont decide who is a replacement for who, the manager does. But it takes a basic understanding of football to work it out.

I dont believe Collins or Dunne were considered either because we had Laursen for Dunne's role and Dunne wouldn't have started that often to justify trying to get Man City's player of the season and Collins was unknown. Where did I say NRC was a stop gap?
And if Davies is sold its because we can afford to lose him now, not because he's useless as you make out. And how do you know he's on the transfer list?

Its a pity you dont have a time machine greg, then you could go around buying all the best players for us at a time when they, according to your crazed self, are available for a song or virtually unknown. Maybe you could call it the retardis?

In the meantime, nothing changes the fact that MON assembled a new defence that has been very successful. What kind of shit argument is "yes but he could have done it a few years ago"? Do me a fucking favour.

Offline Greg N'Ash

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 09:21:43 AM »
oh please. if you're going to descend into name calling then as usual with you, the arguement's won. I think i'll leave you in your world where we can afford to let 8m+ defenders leave on the cheap when the realilty is they should never have been bought in the first place

Offline Mazrim

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 09:28:23 AM »
Yes greg, you've "won" the argument. You did it with all your wonderful logic and reasoning allied to your deep knowledge of football.

By the way, Davies cost £8m. What are we asking for him?

Offline Greg N'Ash

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »
Yes greg, you've "won" the argument. You did it with all your wonderful logic and reasoning allied to your deep knowledge of football.

By the way, Davies cost £8m. What are we asking for him?

at least 8m he cost. noone knows for sure.. and we'll be lucky to get half that

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Transfer Tactics
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 09:48:24 AM »
Classic debate mazrim and gregnash. But he's made more good signing's than bad i like davies he's been unlucky with being injured i would like him to stay but what can he do damned if he does sell him damned if he dont.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal