collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Transfer Tactics  (Read 11927 times)

Offline sfx412

Transfer Tactics
« on: July 18, 2010, 04:46:43 PM »
We all know Mon takes his time in the transfer market and still often gets it wrong, as Petrov confirms in his recent Sky blurb, no time to panic as he always leaves transfers until the last few days.

Most realistic fans will appreciate he tends to pay over the odds for players, is that partly due to him leaving matters so late, and the other managers knowing his style. He limits himself further perhaps by never (rarely) buying from outside these Isles and most will appreciate the cheaper players do come from over the water.

Now as we are the only team in the top 8 who have yet to purchase improvements, perhaps its time for RL to suggest to Wonder Mon, he change his tactics in the transfer market. Perhaps if he did he'd surprise a few and maybe do a better job.

But then if 4 seasons of watching plan A, with no plan B is anything to go bye, I won't be holding my breath, but then, as a long time Villa fan I live in hope.

Offline Trinitymiddle

Re: Transfer Tactics
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 05:22:56 PM »
Quote from: "sfx412"
We all know Mon takes his time in the transfer market and still often gets it wrong, as Petrov confirms in his recent Sky blurb, no time to panic as he always leaves transfers until the last few days.

Most realistic fans will appreciate he tends to pay over the odds for players, is that partly due to him leaving matters so late, and the other managers knowing his style. He limits himself further perhaps by never (rarely) buying from outside these Isles and most will appreciate the cheaper players do come from over the water.

Now as we are the only team in the top 8 who have yet to purchase improvements, perhaps its time for RL to suggest to Wonder Mon, he change his tactics in the transfer market. Perhaps if he did he'd surprise a few and maybe do a better job.

But then if 4 seasons of watching plan A, with no plan B is anything to go bye, I won't be holding my breath, but then, as a long time Villa fan I live in hope.

What's the point in Randy Lerner paying MON however much he pays him if he is going to tell him how to do his job?

You're obviously not a MON fan and improving every season for the last 4 years clearly isn't good enough for you, even though every year there are more clubs with more money than us.

Also, I dont think that many of the top 8 (except Citeh, who are a law unto themselves) have sttrengthened that significantly so far. There's still 4 weeks to go and the vast majority of all transfer business is done in the last week - it's how business works, unless you are prepared to pay vastly over the odds, a la Citeh.

Finally I dont agree with your general assertion that Martin has performed poorly in the transfer market. He replaced the entire back 4 last season for the cost of half a Man City centre back, and save for one game, would have been the best in the league. All of his big buys tend to be worth more when he sells them than when he buys them. Every manager buys a few carthorses and MON is no exception, but he is far from a poor performer in the transfer market.

You talk of living in hope, but you seem to have abandoned all that before a ball has been kicked or the transfer window has closed.

Keep The Faith

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 05:38:07 PM »
Tranfser Tactics?

You either buy a player or you don't. There isn't any kind of tactics.

MON will buy a player when he wants to buy a player, not because some fans moan about 4 years of progression.

Offline spangley1812

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 05:48:02 PM »
what we would all like is a positive move in the market to boost the squad and then we would not be like last year when we were knocked out of the europa cup/lge and outplayed by wigan in the 1st week of the season

you need to get players in to work on tactics/set plays during pre-season

i would argue that arsenal have improved a lot with chamakh and the defender they have signed, liverpool with the forward from fiorentina, joe cole poss and hodgson and everton with beckford have taken steps ahead of us

Offline smudger

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 05:48:30 PM »
I dont think he particularly does pay over the odds for players, if you compare to other teams investments and how the transfer market has gone. One or two look bad value for money with hindsight, Davies, Reo-Coker and so far Downing being the obvious ones. All of those came with a bright future ahead at the time we bought them though. We certainly don't get any/many bargains but that is purely down to not shopping abroad as you point out. In terms of getting wound up with the lack of activity, i can understand it in previous years because we had glaring gaps in the squad, but not this time. We have a big squad. Add a world cup to that and i have no gripe with nothing happening so far. If he sells 5 or 6 players in the next 2 weeks and we get to the last couple of weeks with no incoming, yes i will be pissed off. Surely he won't be that daft though???? :-)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Transfer Tactics
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 05:55:38 PM »
Quote from: "spangley1812"
what we would all like is a positive move in the market to boost the squad and then we would not be like last year when we were knocked out of the europa cup/lge and outplayed by wigan in the 1st week of the season

you need to get players in to work on tactics/set plays during pre-season

i would argue that arsenal have improved a lot with chamakh and the defender they have signed, liverpool with the forward from fiorentina, joe cole poss and hodgson and everton with beckford have taken steps ahead of us

No, they have not.

Offline spangley1812

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 05:58:38 PM »
we will see wont we

thats what i love about football its all about opinions

and i missed out united signing hernandez

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Transfer Tactics
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 06:23:34 PM »
I dont think he pays over the odds, and generally speaking he is successful in the market.

With regards to spending big money on failures, you are always more aware of your own clubs big money flops. Other clubs have just as many, but the nature of things is that we dont notice or even forget those clubs have them in the first place.

If there is such a thing as "transfer tactics" then I think its about the age/type  of players you go for rather than timing. MON tries to purchase players that have become established,say in the 21-26 year age group, can be improved and if they do eventually move on have money coming back.

Its something Brian Little did with some success, and something that John Gregory did not do.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Transfer Tactics
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 06:42:42 PM »
It's hard to argue that MON is slow in the transfer market however I think he operates in a manner which is classy and respectful of other clubs and therefore befitting of Aston Villa.

Offline eastie

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 06:43:46 PM »
Where is the difference between this thread and the normal transfer thread?We have been discussing mons transfer activity or lack of for the last 450 odd pages.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Transfer Tactics
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 06:45:43 PM »
If he buys as well as he did last summer I certainly won't be complaining.

Offline Mazrim

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 06:49:26 PM »
Quote from: "east19"
Where is the difference between this thread and the other shit Mrs Overall threads? We have been discussing mons transfer activity or lack of for the last 450 odd pages.

Exactly

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
Transfer Tactics
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 06:49:41 PM »
He's improved us in every transfer window he's been in charge. Whether he's done so by enough or quickly enough is I guess, open to debate.

Offline rutski

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 07:04:34 PM »
sfx, alan curbishley!

Offline villa1

Transfer Tactics
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 08:37:17 PM »
Quote from: "Dante Lavelli"
It's hard to argue that MON is slow in the transfer market however I think he operates in a manner which is classy and respectful of other clubs and therefore befitting of Aston Villa.

I suppose he could be like Redknapp and talking about players from other clubs.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal