collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 12:21:24 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by Towser
[Today at 12:19:12 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:17:54 PM]

Champions League Contention by astonvilla82
[Today at 12:13:19 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:08:34 PM]

Kaine Kesler Hayden by OCD
[Today at 12:03:34 PM]

NSWE Investment by Concrete Tom
[Today at 12:03:15 PM]

Ollie Watkins by The Edge
[Today at 11:59:39 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 21 years ago - our finest signing?  (Read 6564 times)

Online Chico Hamilton III

21 years ago - our finest signing?
« on: July 16, 2010, 09:50:49 AM »
Thank God internet chatrooms didn't exist in the good old days. This fella would have been slated before he'd even had his photo taken, holding a scarf in front of the North Stand. Must be up there with one of the top 10 most inspired Villa signings of all time?

The Independent

July 20 1989, Thursday

Football: Taylor in mood for McGrath

SECTION: Sport ; Pg. 33

PAUL McGRATH'S troubled career at Manchester United is set to end. The 29-year-old Republic of Ireland international was discussing terms with Aston Villa's manager Graham Taylor last night with a view to a pounds 400,000 transfer.

McGrath, regarded as one of the best central defenders in Britain, has made more than 150 League appearances for United since November 1982. But off-the-field incidents have brought him into conflict with Alex Ferguson, the United manager, and his departure has been expected for some time.

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 12:21:06 PM »
God!

Online TaxDodger

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 12:34:08 PM »
Just finished reading his book which was fantastic stuff. I'm a bit gutted that due to my young age I only started supporting Villa in his final season.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
Re: 21 years ago - our finest signing?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 12:36:02 PM »
Quote from: "Chico Hamilton III"
Thank God internet chatrooms didn't exist in the good old days. This fella would have been slated before he'd even had his photo taken, holding a scarf in front of the North Stand. Must be up there with one of the top 10 most inspired Villa signings of all time?

The Independent

July 20 1989, Thursday

Football: Taylor in mood for McGrath

SECTION: Sport ; Pg. 33

PAUL McGRATH'S troubled career at Manchester United is set to end. The 29-year-old Republic of Ireland international was discussing terms with Aston Villa's manager Graham Taylor last night with a view to a pounds 400,000 transfer.

McGrath, regarded as one of the best central defenders in Britain, has made more than 150 League appearances for United since November 1982. But off-the-field incidents have brought him into conflict with Alex Ferguson, the United manager, and his departure has been expected for some time.

Thanks Chico....£400,000 what a bargain .......What a player.....brings a tear to my eye.

We'll not see his like again.

UTV
The Doc

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 01:29:16 PM »

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 01:35:30 PM »
Quote from: "Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air"

Great picture Andy

He looks a little overwhelmed to of met the big man........

Offline willywombat

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 07:55:57 AM »
400k for the best defender in the world. Wonder what he would have been worth in todays market?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 08:34:57 AM »
Quote from: "willywombat"
400k for the best defender in the world. Wonder what he would have been worth in todays market?

God bless Sir Graham. Within 18 months he spent about £700,000 on McGrath, Platt and Yorke.

And then spent pretty much the same on Ormo, and double on Cascarino.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 11:35:50 AM »
Quote from: "TaxDodger"
Just finished reading his book which was fantastic stuff. I'm a bit gutted that due to my young age I only started supporting Villa in his final season.

I found it quite disappointing to be honest. It slipped into the usual 'season by season' chronology after a while, contained quite a lot of repetition and I didn't think he was that complimentary about the Villa which made me feel rather whistful when we adored him so much...

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 12:10:43 PM »
Quote from: "richard moore"
Quote from: "TaxDodger"

I found it quite disappointing to be honest. It slipped into the usual 'season by season' chronology after a while, contained quite a lot of repetition and I didn't think he was that complimentary about the Villa which made me feel rather whistful when we adored him so much...

This is one of the things that makes me so uneasy about the adulation he gets - the feeling that it's always a bit one-sided.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 12:20:26 PM »
Quote from: "LeeB"

God bless Sir Graham. Within 18 months he spent about £700,000 on McGrath, Platt and Yorke.

Don't forget 'Inchey Heath' as well!! Least he flog him pretty quickly,also signed Kent Neilsen same time as McGrath?

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 12:31:10 PM »
Quote from: "LeeB"

And don't forget re-signing Sid. He must have bought arguablly our best 4 players of a generation (Sid, McGrath, Platt and Yorke) for around a million quid!

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 01:38:24 PM »
This is one of the things that makes me so uneasy about the adulation he gets - the feeling that it's always a bit one-sided.

While he is never gushing about Villa, he has, to my knowledge, never sullied the memory with inappropriate comments about the club.

I'm sure he did some corporate work for Manure, which ordinarily would raise my hackles, and he's rarely seen at Villa Park but I couldn't care less.

He is, quite simply, the finest footballer I have seen at the Villa and it was a privilege to see him in Claret and Blue.

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
Quote from: "dave.woodhall"

I'd put that down to him being humble and shy.   He'd pretty much have to shit on the center circle to ruin it for me.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 06:51:30 PM »
The greatest player to wear the shirt in my lifetime.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal