collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Downing 'blasts' Capello  (Read 9454 times)

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Re: Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 09:51:47 AM »
The England stuff is them trying to create a story that simply isn't there.  And I don't think Downing did enough to be in contention either.  The only bit that should be of interest to us is:-

Quote from: "bobcat"
From the Sun:

Meanwhile, Downing reckons selling James Milner to Manchester City could be a great piece of business for Aston Villa.

City are poised to make an improved offer of around £25million for England midfielder Milner, 24, after seeing a £20m bid rejected.

And Downing said: "The money they're talking about is a substantial amount for one player.

"If we can replace him with a player of his ability then it's good business."

The bit in bold are his comments, so ignoring the Sun's spin on it I think he's trotting out the party line in order to prepare us for Milner's departure.  I haven't got a problem with that, especially as I agree with what he's saying!

Offline Concrete John

Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 09:54:30 AM »
Quote from: "ktvillan"
There's a certain manager that might not take too kindly to his Milner comments as well - remember what happened to Berger?

Berger said Barry leaving was good for the player.  Downign is saying that Milner leaving might be good for the club.  Quite different things, IMO.

Offline stevenjos

Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 09:57:41 AM »
Sorry Downing, your not good enough for England, especially the way you run away from challenges. Now stop moaning and try and learn to be a winger again.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 09:59:35 AM »
Quote from: "John M"
Quote from: "ktvillan"
There's a certain manager that might not take too kindly to his Milner comments as well - remember what happened to Berger?

Berger said Barry leaving was good for the player.  Downign is saying that Milner leaving might be good for the club.  Quite different things, IMO.

I agree John.  I'd say it's now pretty well certain that Milner will be on his way.

Offline Concrete John

Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 10:03:15 AM »
Quote from: "stevenjos"
Sorry Downing, your not good enough for England, especially the way you run away from challenges. Now stop moaning and try and learn to be a winger again.

Although I agree, quite a few that DID go also fall into that category.

Offline Merv

Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 10:17:05 AM »
The Guardian's take on Downing's 'blast' comes across rather more reasonably....

Having missed out on the World Cup, Downing admitted he is keen for the new season to get under way. He is particularly eager to force his way back into the England squad after missing out on the World Cup. The winger had hoped at least to make it into Fabio Capello's provisional 30-man squad for the finals in South Africa and remains upset that the England manager gave him no explanation for his omission.

"In the 30 I think there were a few surprises, not only out of the squad but in the squad as well. The only disappointing thing is I didn't get told why I was not in the squad. I am sure a lot of people are in the same situation as me. There's no point moaning, the only thing I can do is make sure I have a good season with Villa and get in the qualifying squads. The manager has said there will be changes, so we'll wait and see when he names that squad in August."

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 10:17:39 AM »

I'm far from convinced that Downing is good enough for us, let alone for England.  Massive season ahead for him.

Offline stevenjos

Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 10:18:11 AM »

Oh definately, but thats why capello is martin mk2!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
downing
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 10:23:06 AM »
I think if he knuckle's down and produce's quality like we know he can then he will get back in the england team now he has had pre season training.  I would like milner to stay but i can't see it happening.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 10:25:19 AM »
Hardly a "blast".

Slightly concerned about the Milner comments, mind, just the fact he's commenting on it at all as much as what he actually says

Offline junxs

• http://www.avfc.co.uk
Re: Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2010, 10:25:30 AM »
Quote from: "DJ"
From the Sun:
"That was a great confidence boost. I then thought we'd had a good end to the season, the team was playing well."

The team may have been playing well Stewart, but you certainly weren't.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2010, 10:39:39 AM »
the sun peddling shite to brain dead moronic sheep again, i see...

Offline eastie

Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 10:40:18 AM »
Downing should not be making comments about possible players leaving- I don't think mon will be happy to read his comments- far easier to just say no comment!

Offline TimTheVillain

Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 10:57:41 AM »
Quote from: "east19"
Downing should not be making comments about possible players leaving- I don't think mon will be happy to read his comments- far easier to just say no comment!

Agree.

It's not a 'blast' but he shouldn't be saying things like this.

Get on with yer own game Downing.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Downing 'blasts' Capello
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 11:59:28 AM »
This 'attack' on Capello is about as strong as one of his tackles.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal