collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: If Villa adopted the Spainish model......  (Read 14529 times)

Offline Gaztonniller

If Villa adopted the Spainish model......
« on: July 12, 2010, 04:44:09 PM »
If you've seen how Spain performed this summer and how they performed in against Holland last night, would you (as a paying fan ) welcome the club adopting this more patient/passing style of play, or would it be too slow/boring for you & the Holte enders to stomach?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 04:45:15 PM »
I'd bloody love it, as we'd win more, however entertaining it is.

Online frank black

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 04:46:40 PM »
New team required for this to be achieved.

Offline Mark H

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 04:47:54 PM »
Although its a patient style if you watch them they try to make many of the passes forward when they can so not as methodical as first appears.

I would very much welcome a playing style where we keep the ball for longer periods and then use the quick direct counter attack as an impact change.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 04:48:55 PM »
i will get shot down here, but it reminds me a bit of Arsenal, who are winning as much as us at the moment.  A team that dont like it up them, see a shitty away day at Bolton, and how attractive tiki taki looks like when you have just been kicked off the pitch.  I like a blend of craft and directness.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 04:50:36 PM »
What gets me is I hear large moans and groans at VP when we do play it around with no progress.  "Fuck me - goals that way Villa!" is often heard.  

Personally I'd welcome it as another string to our bow, just as with anything we have to be able to know when to do it and when to be more more direct.

Offline Gaztonniller

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 04:57:06 PM »
Quote from: "Monty"
I'd bloody love it, as we'd win more, however entertaining it is.

How long would that love last before the shouts of "GET IT FORWARD" started ringing out. Would fans remain happy/patient with that style for long, or is a case the fans being slowly educated to love passes backwards/ sideways for long periods before that killer forward pass is made to the forwards, or who ever and its put over the bar!!!?

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 04:59:47 PM »
Quote from: "John M"
What gets me is I hear large moans and groans at VP when we do play it around with no progress.  "Fuck me - goals that way Villa!" is often heard.

Yes I've heard similar shouts.  Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Offline enigma

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 05:07:47 PM »
Quote from: "MoetVillan"
i will get shot down here, but it reminds me a bit of Arsenal, who are winning as much as us at the moment.  A team that dont like it up them, see a shitty away day at Bolton, and how attractive tiki taki looks like when you have just been kicked off the pitch.  I like a blend of craft and directness.

Don't like it up them? Did you see the game yesterday? They were kicked up and down the park and still won.

I'd love it if we played that way. I'd love it even more if we developed young players the way Barca do. What they're doing is incredible.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 05:17:25 PM »
I did see the game yesterday, and was impressed.  It was a one off for the World cup final.  and after extra time, which we dont get in league games.  Also, but for some excellent keeping, Holland may well have taken that game.  What would worry me is 8.25 pm at Wigan athletic on a shitty february night, the pitch cut up to fuck.

Offline Merv

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 05:17:50 PM »
Interesting one. Spain have some gifted players, technically sound but they hardly thrilled their way to World Cup victory.... four consecutive 1-0 wins, wasn't it? It's easy to say 'we'll have some of that' but imagine the Villa winning games 1-0 and see how long patience holds. Don't really know how I'd feel about it.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 05:19:38 PM »
As for developing players, I think we have done a lot of that with Young, Milner, Davies, Albrighton, Clark, Gabby, potentially Delph....

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 05:20:31 PM »
I must be a tad old fashioned but: The time to play pretty pretty stuff is when you are 2 or 3 up.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »
I think we would fill the stadium every week if we started to pass it around the way Spain do! I would love to see us play foortball in that way.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 05:27:04 PM »
Quote from: "Irish villain"
I think we would fill the stadium every week if we started to pass it around the way Spain do! I would love to see us play foortball in that way.

It bores the shit out of me. I know it takes a high level of technical ability to play that way but it hardly makes for thrilling football.

Give me the Jairmans any day.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal