collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Strengthening Aim  (Read 12975 times)

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
Strengthening Aim
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 10:05:21 AM »
deja vu?

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Strengthening Aim
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 10:09:10 AM »
Quote from: "pablopicasso_10"
deja vu?

You can say that again.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
martins aims
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 10:37:24 AM »
Martin seems to be losing his enthuisiasm for the job, which is a pity because it helps to keep us all going

Offline Greg N'Ash

Re: Strengthening Aim
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 10:58:13 AM »
Quote from: "Phil from the upper holte"
By Dan Harrison

Martin O'Neill has reiterated his desire to strengthen Villa's squad, as they look to compete with the Barclays Premier League's big guns once again.

The club have inevitably been linked with a host of players as summer transfer activity around the top flight begins to hot up.

Adding players to his ranks is a priority for O'Neill in the coming weeks, with the Villa boss admitting it is essential if they are to sustain their challenge in the upper echelons of the league.

"There is a lot of speculation, obviously, at this time of the year and it will hot up now over the next couple of weeks," he said.

"From my own viewpoint, I would like players to stay here and try and build. Sometimes that is not always possible but we have got a couple of weeks now and we will review the position.

"But for us to have even the same sort of season as last year, one, we would have to be a bit lucky and, two, we would have to try and strengthen."

O'Neill anticipates even fiercer competition in the top flight this season, with a number of teams looking to bolster their squads.

Two of Villa's main rivals for European places last season - Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur - are tipped to be among the most active clubs before the transfer window closes at the end of August.

The gaffer reckons City - who have already splashed out on Germany international Jerome Boateng, skilful Spaniard David Silva and midfield powerhouse Yaya Toure - arguably have the strongest squad in the league.

However, he insists it will not stop Villa trying to compete with them, as they did so valiantly last term. "You look at what has happened at Manchester City - they have bought a lot of players now and they've got probably, I would say at this minute, what may well be the strongest squad in the business and they are looking to add more players to it," added O'Neill.

"From that viewpoint, it is going to be hard. Tottenham Hotspur will, because of their status in the Champions League, try and improve as well, so it won't be easy.

"Having said this, it is still worthwhile chasing it."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/FootballNewsDetail/0,,10265~2087872,00.html

Here we go, that time of the year again!

Think there could be a wee bit of a hint Milners off in there

talk about preparing you for disappointment. no-one spends as much as citeh martin  and no-one is asking you to compete with them, but you've had a lot of money as the 30m worth of players you are looking to offload this summer proves. spurs have cl status because redknapp spent his money better than you. we are not some skint little club doing it on the cheap unless randy's told you different?

Offline Uncle Bulgaria

Strengthening Aim
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 11:18:54 AM »
It's one thing buying players it's another thing playing them. MON has his favourites and others just play a bit part role. The players then vent their frustration and that's where it ends for them. Look at Luke Young, Shorey and Coker. I'm sure Warnock was carrying a knock last season, but he kept playing him week in week out. At the end of last season Dunne was not going forward for corners because he was struggling to get back in position. No point in a squad if you don't use them. I know we have been lucky with injuries in recent seasons, but if you don't give squad players a run out, when you want them to do a job they will struggle with form.

Another disappointment for me last season was the lack of opportunity for the youngsters like Albrighton, Fonz & Ciaran Clark. Giving them 20 minutes, when we are beating the likes of Hull, Burnley & Bolton, would do their confidence the power of good.

Why Villa? It's in the blood. Arguably the last four years under MON have been our best in recent times. We go away from home expecting to win and more often than not we do. Last season we had two Wembley appearences, but we haven't won a major trophy in a long time. Too many draws at home! I just think at times our play is boring and predictable and at home very uninspiring. No Plan B! Let's hope this season the home performances improve.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
strengthening aim
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 12:36:45 PM »
I myself and friends think with the right buy's we can make the top four we need three or four good player's if luke young go's (hope not) then will need a right back, midfielder, and a striker.

But i think mon will get it right and being a fanatical villa fan since i was able to walk it's in the blood.

Offline Bernie

• king of celebrity deathwatch
  • GM : 30.01.2025
Strengthening Aim
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 01:58:48 PM »
Quote from: "John M"
Quote from: "pablopicasso_10"
deja vu?

You can say that again.

.I'm sure you've said it before...??

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Strengthening Aim
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 03:01:47 PM »
I don't get this... We actually do have a strong squad!

Reo-Coker, Davies, Luke Young and Habib Beye are all perfectly serviceable footballers who could play they just don't get picked! Petrov, Warnock and Dunne all looked clapped out in the run in last season. Yet they did not get rested despite the fact these reasonable enough players were left completely unused.

Doubtlessly we will sign more players as cover that he will never ever pick to replace the six. It's just a waste of time and money.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Strengthening Aim
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 03:19:29 PM »
Quote from: "TheSandman"

Reo-Coker, Davies, Luke Young and Habib Beye are all perfectly serviceable footballers who could play they just don't get picked! Petrov, Warnock and Dunne all looked clapped out in the run in last season. Yet they did not get rested despite the fact these reasonable enough players were left completely unused.

Doubtlessly we will sign more players as cover that he will never ever pick to replace the six. It's just a waste of time and money.

I agree the squad is fine overall, what we need to add is quality.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Strengthening Aim
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2010, 05:52:16 PM »
Absolutely.

We need to make guys like Petrov, Carew and Gabby to name but three fear for their place.

Offline hawkeye

• GM : Jun, 2012
Strengthening Aim
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2010, 08:46:15 PM »
Real stiring stuff, hold on to your seats

Offline VillaZogmariner

Strengthening Aim
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2010, 06:23:28 AM »
Quote from: "kryten_K2"
Quote from: "Fargo Villan"
I've only been a Villa supporter since 2006 when Lerner became owner, so I'm a novice compared to most posters here.  But it seems to me that every summer transfer window starts this way.  And it all ends in disappointment.  It is just so frustrating!  How do you all maintain an interest in a club only willing to do the bare minimum each year to maintain this 6th/7th place in the table?

Like you said mate, you've only been a fan for 4 years.
You woudnt make such a daft arse statement if you had any clue about football.

That's bang out of order. We all started our love of this club somewhere.

But then again, you've only posted on here for less than 2 years. You wouldn't make such a daft arse statement if you had any clue about treating other fans with a bit of respect.

Offline Rancid custard

Strengthening Aim
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2010, 05:56:40 PM »
Quote from: "PaulWinch"
Quote from: "TheSandman"

I agree the squad is fine overall, what we need to add is quality.

Agree with Sandy, I can't help but wonder though, if MON did a bit more rotation/substituting if we'd have gone the distance last season.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Strengthening Aim
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2010, 06:03:58 PM »
Quote from: "kryten_K2"
Quote from: "Fargo Villan"
I've only been a Villa supporter since 2006 when Lerner became owner, so I'm a novice compared to most posters here.  But it seems to me that every summer transfer window starts this way.  And it all ends in disappointment.  It is just so frustrating!  How do you all maintain an interest in a club only willing to do the bare minimum each year to maintain this 6th/7th place in the table?

Like you said mate, you've only been a fan for 4 years.
You woudnt make such a daft arse statement if you had any clue about football.

What an absolute charmer you are.

I suggest you familiarise yourself with the site rules, and then come back with a different attitude.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Strengthening Aim
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2010, 06:06:54 PM »
Quote from: "hawkeye"
Real stiring stuff, hold on to your seats

I suggest they keep him away from the season ticket campaign.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal