collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by The Edge
[Today at 10:26:27 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by andyh
[Today at 10:25:59 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Steve67
[Today at 10:25:21 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:07:52 PM]

150 celebrations by curiousorange
[Today at 10:05:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:02:18 PM]

NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:31:36 PM]

Who should create the Atmosphere? by Pat McMahon
[Today at 09:31:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Strengthening Aim  (Read 12965 times)

Offline Phil from the upper holte

Strengthening Aim
« on: July 09, 2010, 09:20:25 PM »
By Dan Harrison

Martin O'Neill has reiterated his desire to strengthen Villa's squad, as they look to compete with the Barclays Premier League's big guns once again.

The club have inevitably been linked with a host of players as summer transfer activity around the top flight begins to hot up.

Adding players to his ranks is a priority for O'Neill in the coming weeks, with the Villa boss admitting it is essential if they are to sustain their challenge in the upper echelons of the league.

"There is a lot of speculation, obviously, at this time of the year and it will hot up now over the next couple of weeks," he said.

"From my own viewpoint, I would like players to stay here and try and build. Sometimes that is not always possible but we have got a couple of weeks now and we will review the position.

"But for us to have even the same sort of season as last year, one, we would have to be a bit lucky and, two, we would have to try and strengthen."

O'Neill anticipates even fiercer competition in the top flight this season, with a number of teams looking to bolster their squads.

Two of Villa's main rivals for European places last season - Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur - are tipped to be among the most active clubs before the transfer window closes at the end of August.

The gaffer reckons City - who have already splashed out on Germany international Jerome Boateng, skilful Spaniard David Silva and midfield powerhouse Yaya Toure - arguably have the strongest squad in the league.

However, he insists it will not stop Villa trying to compete with them, as they did so valiantly last term.

"You look at what has happened at Manchester City - they have bought a lot of players now and they've got probably, I would say at this minute, what may well be the strongest squad in the business and they are looking to add more players to it," added O'Neill.

"From that viewpoint, it is going to be hard. Tottenham Hotspur will, because of their status in the Champions League, try and improve as well, so it won't be easy.

"Having said this, it is still worthwhile chasing it."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/FootballNewsDetail/0,,10265~2087872,00.html

Here we go, that time of the year again!

Think there could be a wee bit of a hint Milners off in there

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Strengthening Aim
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:54:09 PM »
At least he admits the fact we need to add.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

Strengthening Aim
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 09:56:32 PM »
True

It should be blatently obvious though.

Offline eric woolban woolban

Strengthening Aim
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 09:59:38 PM »
I think Spurs in the Champions League will be to the detriment of their Premier League form.

And Villa being linked with a host of players?

Who, Stephen Ireland and Robbie Keane and ...

Offline sfx412

Strengthening Aim
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
sing us another one, just like the other one, sing us another Mon.

As he said its that time of year.

Offline Fargo Villan

Strengthening Aim
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 06:05:47 AM »
I've only been a Villa supporter since 2006 when Lerner became owner, so I'm a novice compared to most posters here.  But it seems to me that every summer transfer window starts this way.  And it all ends in disappointment.  It is just so frustrating!  How do you all maintain an interest in a club only willing to do the bare minimum each year to maintain this 6th/7th place in the table?

Offline flybo

• GM : Jan, 2013
Strengthening Aim
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 08:40:22 AM »
Quote from: "Fargo Villan"
 How do you all maintain an interest in a club only willing to do the bare minimum each year to maintain this 6th/7th place in the table?

It is in the blood Villa till i die.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Strengthening Aim
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 08:41:54 AM »
I've only been a Villa supporter since 2006 when Lerner became owner, so I'm a novice compared to most posters here.  But it seems to me that every summer transfer window starts this way.  And it all ends in disappointment.  It is just so frustrating!  How do you all maintain an interest in a club only willing to do the bare minimum each year to maintain this 6th/7th place in the table?

An interest? Ha! Try obsession. Speaking only for myself, its because I'm in love.

Online Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Strengthening Aim
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 08:44:19 AM »

Maybe as we think they're at least trying to do more than the bare minimum?

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
Strengthening Aim
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 09:06:52 AM »
Quote from: "Percy"

An interest? Ha! Try obsession. Speaking only for myself, its because I'm in love.

Yup. Pretty much. Might get a bit frustrated, disappointed, even angry, but still in love, and that makes the highs so much higher.

Offline kryten_K2

Strengthening Aim
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 09:15:18 AM »

Like you said mate, you've only been a fan for 4 years.
You woudnt make such a daft arse statement if you had any clue about football.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

Strengthening Aim
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 09:34:09 AM »

Its like supporting the Browns...you just live in hope one day your time will come.

Its the joy of being a sports fan.

Its easy to support a winner !!!

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

Strengthening Aim
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »
Quote from: "kryten_K2"

Like you said mate, you've only been a fan for 4 years.
You woudnt make such a daft arse statement if you had any clue about football.

Not sure it's worth a daft arse statement that you've just given him. It seems a perfectly reasonable question to me.

You maintain an interest because it's your local team and you will support them wherever they go. Put simply, you just do. I'm not sure there is any full-blown explanation other than that and it's your team, so you just do.

If, however, they're not your local team, then I have no idea why you supported Villa in the first place, let alone maintaining an interest.

Offline sfx412

Strengthening Aim
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 09:41:47 AM »
its the way we do it Fargo Villan, fun init. Must admit its been much worse in the last 4 seasons but hey ho its been harder in past times. Welcome to the fold it gets in the blood and then you are hooked Managers,even owners, come and go but Villa fans stick with it through thick and thin.

Enjoy :)

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
Re: Strengthening Aim
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Quote from: "Phil from the upper holte"
By Dan Harrison

Martin O'Neill has reiterated his desire to strengthen Villa's squad, as they look to compete with the Barclays Premier League's big guns once again.

The club have inevitably been linked with a host of players as summer transfer activity around the top flight begins to hot up.

Adding players to his ranks is a priority for O'Neill in the coming weeks, with the Villa boss admitting it is essential if they are to sustain their challenge in the upper echelons of the league.

"There is a lot of speculation, obviously, at this time of the year and it will hot up now over the next couple of weeks," he said.

"From my own viewpoint, I would like players to stay here and try and build. Sometimes that is not always possible but we have got a couple of weeks now and we will review the position.

"But for us to have even the same sort of season as last year, one, we would have to be a bit lucky and, two, we would have to try and strengthen."

O'Neill anticipates even fiercer competition in the top flight this season, with a number of teams looking to bolster their squads.

Two of Villa's main rivals for European places last season - Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur - are tipped to be among the most active clubs before the transfer window closes at the end of August.

The gaffer reckons City - who have already splashed out on Germany international Jerome Boateng, skilful Spaniard David Silva and midfield powerhouse Yaya Toure - arguably have the strongest squad in the league.

However, he insists it will not stop Villa trying to compete with them, as they did so valiantly last term.

"You look at what has happened at Manchester City - they have bought a lot of players now and they've got probably, I would say at this minute, what may well be the strongest squad in the business and they are looking to add more players to it," added O'Neill.

"From that viewpoint, it is going to be hard. Tottenham Hotspur will, because of their status in the Champions League, try and improve as well, so it won't be easy.

"Having said this, it is still worthwhile chasing it."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/FootballNewsDetail/0,,10265~2087872,00.html

Here we go, that time of the year again!

Think there could be a wee bit of a hint Milners off in there

Were these quotes from Mon cut and pasted from last summer?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal