collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 100 years of top flight football for Villa  (Read 10623 times)

Offline Billy Walker

100 years of top flight football for Villa
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 10:01:35 AM »
Quote from: "Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air"
Ive always rather liked Everton, what I would call a proper football club. However, having looked at this we need them relegated soon and struggle to make it back for at least 8 years.

Yep.  It would seem that 1968-75 period is the main reason for Everton getting ahead of us - that and the dodgy keeping of Hans Segers (I think) in the Wimbledon goal who seemed to conspire with fate and allow Wimbledon to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory when Everton looked doomed.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 10:08:57 AM »
Quote from: "Billy Walker"
 Hans Segers (I think) in the Wimbledon goal who seemed to conspire with fate and allow Wimbledon to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory when Everton looked doomed.

If rumours are to be believed, it was more than fate that Segars conspired with...........

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2010, 10:39:14 AM »
Indeed, Chico. The whole thing had the whiff of the "surreal" about it.
What was just as galling, if I recall correctly, was that our lad Gareth Farrelly scored a screamer thus setting in motion the Everton fightback.

Moving on to the Villa-Everton fixture I'm amazed both clubs don't make more of it and promote it for all its worth as the world's most played fixture (taking into account that the teams only meet twice a season).  If Sky and the Premier League got behind it too and promoted it in the right way it could become a fixture that everyone would be interested in tuning into.  There's no doubt that both clubs have a healthy respect for each other and a keen sense of rivalry that seems to have  become more intense over the last few years.  

If there's a team out there that I love us to beat Everton is one of them.

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2010, 10:46:14 AM »
What was just as galling, if I recall correctly, was that our lad Gareth Farrelly scored a screamer thus setting in motion the Everton fightback.

I think it may have been Barry Horne who hit a 40-yarder for Everton?

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010, 10:54:43 AM »
Indeed, Chico. The whole thing had the whiff of the "surreal" about it.

Moving on to the Villa-Everton fixture I'm amazed both clubs don't make more of it and promote it for all its worth as the world's most played fixture (taking into account that the teams only meet twice a season).  If Sky and the Premier League got behind it too and promoted it in the right way it could become a fixture that everyone would be interested in tuning into.  There's no doubt that both clubs have a healthy respect for each other and a keen sense of rivalry that seems to have  become more intense over the last few years.  

If there's a team out there that I love us to beat Everton is one of them.

It's a good point about making a fuss about it but with Villa and Everton not being fashionable clubs and with Sky and the Premier League of the opinion that football has only mattered since 1992 I can't see it being given any more than a brief mention in a Sunday 1pm kick off and that being interrupted due to having to go to another ground to watch the Chelsea team get off a coach.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 12:14:50 PM »
Does wikipedia need updating by a season then?

To date Aston Villa have spent 98 seasons in the top-flight, the only club to have spent longer in the top-flight is Everton with 105 seasons.[51] As a result, Aston Villa versus Everton is the most played fixture in English top-flight football.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2010, 04:05:27 PM »
Quote from: "Chico Hamilton III"

I think it may have been Barry Horne who hit a 40-yarder for Everton?

To be honest my whole memory of that match is a bit hazy...I mainly remember feeling rather disappointed that Everton had managed to stay up.  Fair play to them, though, they're a good old club.

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2010, 04:23:27 PM »
 To be honest my whole memory of that match is a bit hazy....

Understanderble. I think it was played on the same day that we played Liverpool at home - the last day of the old Holte

Offline newtonsballs

• GM : 21.02.2020
Re: 100 years of top flight football for Villa
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2010, 08:42:36 PM »
Was looking at some other records earlier, and found one that says we've conceded more penalties in the Premier League (97) than any other team.

Spoken like a true Brummie

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal