collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How good are they really  (Read 24003 times)

Offline UsualSuspect

How good are they really
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 10:08:57 AM »
Personally I like gabby, local lad done good and all that but personally I think he has just about reached his peak.

2006/7 - 9 goals
2007/8 - 11 Goals
2008/9 - 12 goals
2009/10 - 13 goals

He doesnt read the game fantasically well - if he did he could score 20 a season but for me he makes too many bad decisions.

Like I say I like the bloke but at what coming 24 if he dont understand where to run now he never will

Offline dublinfran

How good are they really
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 10:12:59 AM »
imo,id rather lose Milner than Ash or Gabby,i think both of them bring more to the team than Milner.i think we'd find Milner is easier to replace than the other two would be..as far as how good they all are,if i was from another club.the only one out of the three id pay more than 20m for would be Ash,on his day he's the best winger in the league.

Offline Greg N'Ash

How good are they really
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 10:17:59 AM »
my only problem with gabby is he's not an instinctive finisher. if he was then he'd have easily got nearer the 20 goal mark last season. him and a real goal hanger up front could be lethal

Offline UsualSuspect

How good are they really
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 10:21:43 AM »
Quote from: "gregnash"
my only problem with gabby is he's not an instinctive finisher. if he was then he'd have easily got nearer the 20 goal mark last season. him and a real goal hanger up front could be lethal

Agree entirely

Ih he had that gary shaw, andy gray, dwight yoorke, david platt ability to know exactly where to be he would score 20 a season.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
How good are they really
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 10:23:03 AM »
Quote from: "Bren_d"
Quote from: "pauliewalnuts"
Gabby is not a 20m pound striker.

He's in the "decent" category, I'd say.

He's improved year on year. He's more than decent.

He needs to improve more than he has done (see stats posted by someone else)  if he's going to be a top striker.

Offline sfx412

How good are they really
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 10:30:49 AM »
Interesting comments especially on Gabby, for the best striker we have had consistently he has plenty of detractors.
The point was though is there anyone really daft enough to pay the prices for any of them that many think they are worth and would O'Neill, disappointed as he is seemingly at not going to Liverpool ??, part with them for what would be their sensible asking price.
I think not, and even if there were, it would surely have to be a very top price because all 3 represent the core of the present side and won't be replaced easily.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
How good are they really
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 11:31:34 AM »
I'm not sure it's a matter of how good they are, as much it is of how good they could become.  Gabby I think won't develop much more (but then I've thought that for a while and he keeps doing it) and Ash needs consistency.  I still maintain that Milner will go on to be the next Stevie GBH, although hopefully without becoming a Steve Hodge in the process.

Offline Mazrim

How good are they really
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »

Completely the opposite. He most certainly is an instinctive finisher. Its when he has too much time to think about it that problems sometimes arise.

Offline MoetVillan

How good are they really
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 11:44:16 AM »
Mazrim, completely agree, when he has no time, under pressure his finishing is deadly and accurate.  More time is when he comes unstuck.  I love how he stretches the game though on the break, and I have seen a big improvement in his ability to bring in other players this last season.  I think if he continues to develop, we have a smashing player, world class.  If he doesnt improve, he is still one of the top british strikers about, and im glad its MON in charge of his development.  I think he would have made more of an impact at the world cup than FatBastard.  (sorry, meant to type Rooney)

Offline peter w

How good are they really
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 11:50:37 AM »
Quote from: "Bren_d"
Quote from: "peter w"

MON wanted to go to Liverpool, Milner probably for the off, a disjointed looking midfield last season, and seemingly not able to get marquee players in to get bums on seats, and the team to play well consistently.

This is an undisputed fact now is it?

Yes. he told me. phoned me last night.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
How good are they really
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 11:59:52 AM »
Fully agree about Gabby - it's when he needs to think too much that things go a bit oblong for him.

Bit like Darius Vassell in that respect.

Offline Greg N'Ash

How good are they really
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 12:08:04 PM »
Quote from: "Mazrim"

Completely the opposite. He most certainly is an instinctive finisher. Its when he has too much time to think about it that problems sometimes arise.

isn't that part of being an instinctive finisher? i also don't think he takes up the best positions naturally in the opposition box. as i've said before, in the crudest terms i'd like a striker who can be arse for 85 minutes and get 2, and gabby's not that imo. whether mon would ever buy a player like that is another question as he does seem to like workrate from his players. don't get me wrong i think he'd work very well in partnership with that player and i'd be loathe to sell him.

Offline MoetVillan

How good are they really
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 12:16:24 PM »
instinct is things you do (score) without thinking.  which is what he does.  Premeditated is when you have time to think about what you are going to do.  So if he can improve his decision making he should be fine, as instinct is pretty much hardwired.  I think his placement is improving, and I saw that especially through this season.  Its a bit like Defoe who is now making the runs and gambles that previously he didnt.  I think its part of how the striker matures and comes later to his peak, something you have to learn.  The big thing he does over Defoe is his ability to score in the big games.  Im looking forward to him having a great season and forcing himself into the England squad.  Also love the fact he is a local lad.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
How good are they really
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 12:20:08 PM »
Agree with Moet and John M. If you look at the number of one on one's Gabby missed last season, it backs their argument up.

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
How good are they really
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 12:21:38 PM »
I'd sell every other player in our squad before I'd sell Gabby.

Edit: To clarify, I mean individually, I wouldn't sell them all and play Gabby on his own.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal