collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How good are they really  (Read 24031 times)

Offline smudger

How good are they really
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2010, 08:48:54 PM »
Quote from: "barrysleftfoot"
Good question, and as i said 6 mths ago, all 3 are worth in excess of £75m.

If 2e caqn get £25m or more for Milner, then that is good business, out of the 3 , i think he is the easiest to replace.

Gabby....has the potential to be as good as anybody.Yes he has'nt got the best touch, but he makes up for it with his pace and power.Would give anyone a game, and will be Englands CF for the next 4/5 yrs if Capello has any sense.Would'nt sell him, full stop.

AYoung, should again, if Capello has any sense, be a regular in the new England team, his movement and mobility , and his talent, should be enough, again to be worth in excess of anything we get for Milner.

And then we have Delf and Delph coming through......how much are they going to be worth?

Delph could be the best of the lot if he fully recovers from his injury and is patient in waiting for a proper chance. Milner is a quality footballer and good allrounder, but with some good scouting and a bit of luck we could replace him pretty well for half the price or less from the continent. His value is so high because he is English and we are not a push over any more in selling players. Gabby is a good striker but no more, should be pushed for his place really from next season and Ash has not improved over the last 18 months but is still a very good player. Would be pretty hard to replace. I thought he would be Englands first choice left winger by now mind, and he never has quite got to that level.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
How good are they really
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2010, 09:00:20 PM »
Ash has more natural talent than most players in the league,two footed,good vision. Like most I'd love to see him played off a front man like he did for a while a couple of years ago,maybe giving Albrighton a bit of a chance on the right.

Really hope the Fonz gets a good run in the team as well,but how depressing will it be to see Emile get the number 9 shirt when the squad numbers are released?

Offline DrGonzo

How good are they really
« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2010, 09:12:24 PM »
Two footed compared to the Cole's, maybe, but he's never as comfortable on his left peg. There isn't a two footed player left in the Premier League, not many at all, in fact.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
How good are they really
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2010, 09:13:26 PM »
They all have two feet.

Offline DrGonzo

How good are they really
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2010, 09:18:20 PM »
Well done. (clappy thingy)

Offline Matt Collins

How good are they really
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2010, 09:24:14 PM »
I think Ashley is too lightweight to play off a single striker. If he plays behind a front two, he'll often be engaged by midfielders or full backs. Put him up top and we won't keep the ball when enough for me.

I'd still be more gutted to lose him than Milner though.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
How good are they really
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2010, 10:07:42 AM »
Quote from: "Villadawg"
Perhaps one way to think about Gabby's value is to look at the value of players who score "about" the same number of PL goals

09/10
8   Francesc Fabregas   Arsenal   15
9   Emmanuel Adebayor   Manchester City   14
10   Gabriel Agbonlahor   Aston Villa   13
11   Louis Saha   Everton   13
12   Dimitar Berbatov   Man Utd   12

08/09
4   De Souza Robinho   Manchester City   14
5   Fernando Torres   Liverpool   14
6   Gabriel Agbonlahor   Aston Villa   12
7   Darren Bent   Tottenham   12
8   Kevin Davies   Bolton   12

07/08
11   Jermain Defoe   Portsmouth   12
12   Wayne Rooney   Man Utd   12
13   Gabriel Agbonlahor   Aston Villa   11
14   Nicolas Anelka   Chelsea   11
15   Steven Gerrard   Liverpool   11

I don't see many players there who would be valued at less than £20m in today's market and then you take Gabby's age and inexperience into account...

It doesn't look quite so good when you take into account the number of games played to get those goals.  Games per goal (PL only) tell a slightly different story.  

2009-2010   
Fabregas   1.80
Adebayor   1.86
Agbonlahor   2.77
Berbatov   2.75
Saha   2.54

2008-2009   
Robinho   2.21
Torres   1.71
Agbonlahor   3.00
Bent   2.75
Davies   3.17

2007-2008   
Defoe   1.50
Rooney   2.25
Agbonlahor   3.36
Anelka   2.91
Gerrard   3.09

And that doesn;t take into account the percentage of those appearnaces made as sub, which in the cases of Berbatov, Saha, and Bent were much higher than Gabby i.e. fewer minutes on the pitch.

The one thing you can say is that Gabby is clearly improving year on year, but if I were going to spend 20m or more on a striker I'd expect him to be averaging a goal every 2.25-2.5 games at the very least.  He's not quite there yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal