collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How good are they really  (Read 24009 times)

Offline sfx412

How good are they really
« on: July 06, 2010, 06:02:11 PM »
Who ?

Milner, Ashley Young, Gabby, of course.

I'm a great Gabby fan, even appreciate Ashley but not as some do and Milner, well he if nothing else, is the most improved player at VP last season, but are they really of the best standard that the real top clubs would want them desperately to pay out the fees some speculate.

Would we want to pay, not that we could, the money some suggest, I think not, so why would anyone else.

OK Man City are buying all and sundry and its great to feel that they are in demand but I'd suggest Miler at best is 25 mill, Young, 18 and Gabby 20. Do we really need to move them at those prices, even if, and its not proven, Money is so tight.

Not for me.

Sensible management would base a team around them and Downing not sell them to buy some ageing striker and replacement keeper. Not for me anyway.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
How good are they really
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 10:15:36 PM »
The most sensible post you've ever put up Malcolm (including your apparent praise of Downing, which I like).

Fortunately it looks like MON's going to get all the money he needs and then some out of the Milner sale. He needs to use the money wisely, I think we need, among other things, a couple of all-round midfielders and a spark in the final third (a tempo-dictator would be great, but let's not be unrealistic) and we would be a much better team than had we kept Milner.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
How good are they really
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 10:35:38 PM »
Gabby is not a 20m pound striker.

He's in the "decent" category, I'd say.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
How good are they really
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 10:54:30 PM »
More like the "heavy" category!

Offline Greg N'Ash

How good are they really
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 12:16:14 AM »
gabby could be worth 30m or worth nowt in a few years. just that sort of player

young. potentially an england regular. (hey if downing can get a game)

milner if he continues to improve, could be a fixture in the england side for the next 5 years. he's not worth 20+m but then who is?

Offline eastie

How good are they really
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 07:56:36 AM »
Gabby is not worth anywhere near £20m- he needs to improve his finishing vastly to be in that class, he has potential though and is improving yearly .

Ash is a quality player on his day and he and milner could be England regulars also for many years.

I'd say milner is ahead of them at the moment but a good year could really see ash and gabby push on this season at club and international level.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
How good are they really
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 08:07:45 AM »
When discussing present day transfer values or players wages, I  think  the use of the word "worth" is misplaced. Nobody is "worth" these amounts. Perhaps "market value" would be better, or perhaps other more accurate terminology could be suggested.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
How good are they really
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 08:52:11 AM »
Quote from: "east19"
Gabby is not worth anywhere near £20m- he needs to improve his finishing vastly to be in that class, he has potential though and is improving yearly .

Ash is a quality player on his day and he and milner could be England regulars also for many years.

I'd say milner is ahead of them at the moment but a good year could really see ash and gabby push on this season at club and international level.

If Gabby was to leave this summer then we'd easily get £20m for him.

Offline eastie

How good are they really
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 09:04:14 AM »
£15m in my opinion, like I said if he can improve his finishing in the way he's improved his all round game year on year then he could be worth a lot more than that, put robbie keane with him and I think he would learn a lot and improve his game too.

To spend £20m on a striker I'd be looking for a regular 20 goals a season striker.

Offline Mazrim

How good are they really
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 09:06:28 AM »
If we sold Gabby I'd be disgusted. If we sold him for less than £20m I'd lead an armed assault on Villa Park.

Offline peter w

How good are they really
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 09:09:49 AM »
out of the three I'd only be truly disappointed if Ash were to be let go. But, this is an important season as there's already a feeling of our moment in the sun having passed and we could easily be in decilne.

MON wanted to go to Liverpool, Milner probably for the off, a disjointed looking midfield last season, and seemingly not able to get marquee players in to get bums on seats, and the team to play well consistently.

I know this is all a little bit previous as we have a summer of signiongs ahead of us. But that proud history bright future optimism seems well behind us now.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
How good are they really
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 09:19:50 AM »
Quote from: "pauliewalnuts"
Gabby is not a 20m pound striker.

He's in the "decent" category, I'd say.

He's improved year on year. He's more than decent.

Offline Mazrim

How good are they really
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 09:20:51 AM »
Quote from: "peter w"
out of the three I'd only be truly disappointed if Ash were to be let go. But, this is an important season as there's already a feeling of our moment in the sun having passed and we could easily be in decilne.

MON wanted to go to Liverpool

Did he?

I know this is all a little bit previous as we have a summer of signiongs ahead of us. But that proud history bright future optimism seems well behind us now.

Cobblers. Nobody can change our proud history and whilst we have a steady flow of excellence coming through the academy, a rich benefactor who totally understands the culture of the club and plenty of spirit, the future will be bright.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
How good are they really
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 09:21:17 AM »

MON wanted to go to Liverpool, Milner probably for the off, a disjointed looking midfield last season, and seemingly not able to get marquee players in to get bums on seats, and the team to play well consistently.

This is an undisputed fact now is it?

Offline mattjpa

How good are they really
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 10:02:25 AM »
Quote from: "Mazrim"
If we sold Gabby I'd be disgusted. If we sold him for less than £20m I'd lead an armed assault on Villa Park.

I'll prepare the Molotovs, son. I would be raging if we sold Gabby (or ash).
Spuds are no better than us, they just have a better mentality in that they will gamble and take a risk in order to reach a higher level. I hope that after three seasons of producing near identical results, MON will learn something and maybe gamble on a couple of big name players.....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal