collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: European U-19 Championship Finals: Villa call-ups  (Read 20790 times)

Offline Mazrim

European U-19 Championship Finals: Villa call-ups
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2010, 04:05:56 PM »
Quote from: "Phil from the upper holte"
Quote from: "Mazrim"
Its a shame Gary Gardner isnt fit. He'd comfortably be the best central midfielder in the squad.

Is he that good? You seen him play much?

1- The England U19 midfield (at thistournament, its not the full strength one) is shite.

2- Yes, he is a fantastic prospect.

Offline eastie

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2010, 05:36:16 PM »
Spain outclassed us and fully deserved their 3-1 win.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2010, 07:04:52 PM »
only clyne and delfouneso looked anything out of that whole squad...

and delfouneso was well below par...

Offline Mazrim

« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2010, 08:31:06 PM »
Quote from: "pablopicasso_10"
only clyne and delfouneso looked anything out of that whole squad...

and delfouneso was well below par...

His useless team mates must have got the ball to him about 5 times in the whole tournament.

Offline pablopicasso_10

• studio eleventytwelve
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2010, 08:34:17 PM »
indeed... in particular, that donkey nouble...

not to mention neanderthal tactics from blake...

Offline supertom

« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2010, 08:54:23 PM »
We need to tear up the foundations and start again, not just on the kids, but young coaches too. Enough blood and thunder. Pass, move, control. A bit more technique needs to be taught. It'll take time to get it running as it should, and for those kids to come to the fore, but if we want to win something, its how it's gotta be.

If the FA aren't particularly fussed and would rather save the money, then so be it. But the England side will only get worse in years to come.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2010, 09:24:04 PM »
To think that a donkey like Noel Blake is in charge at this level quite frankly beggars belief...

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2010, 09:34:09 PM »
I don't like to knock Noel Blake, as hes supposed to be a decent bloke, and i have met him, the week after he headbutted Steve McMahon, and he was quite a nice bloke;but you have to question why we played some many tall,cumbersome,skillless players.

The 2 CH's were both awful, as was Nouble.Can't think of 1 midfielder who was decent,poor football,poor ball retainment, and as Stewart Robson said poor knowledge of the game of football from both players and the manager.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2010, 09:39:08 PM »
Quote from: "barrysleftfoot"
I don't like to knock Noel Blake, as hes supposed to be a decent bloke, and i have met him, the week after he headbutted Steve McMahon, and he was quite a nice bloke;but you have to question why we played some many tall,cumbersome,skillless players.

The 2 CH's were both awful, as was Nouble.Can't think of 1 midfielder who was decent,poor football,poor ball retainment, and as Stewart Robson said poor knowledge of the game of football from both players and the manager.

I think I might know why he played so many tall, cumbersome, skillless players. Remind you of anyone? But hey, what are you worrying about. We've moved on from how crap England are. All brushed under the carpet. Dontcha know the best league in the world starts again in a couple of weeks time, all those top teams crammed full of the cream of English talent...

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2010, 09:45:04 PM »
Quote from: "supertom"
We need to tear up the foundations and start again, not just on the kids, but young coaches too. Enough blood and thunder. Pass, move, control. A bit more technique needs to be taught. It'll take time to get it running as it should, and for those kids to come to the fore, but if we want to win something, its how it's gotta be.

If the FA aren't particularly fussed and would rather save the money, then so be it. But the England side will only get worse in years to come.

You're right supertom, but what you've said there has been repeated ad nauseam since the early 70's.

I'm afraid it will never change. Why do I believe this?

1) Premier League, especially the big guns don't care about the national side. You could argue, why should they? Depending on priorities, it's either Champions League or staying in the division. Also, Clubs buy foreign players because they're generally cheaper. Now, I know there's a new squad rule, but all this is going to lead to is talented English players being snapped up by the big clubs to warm benches and play for the stiffs (James Milner anyone?)

2) From what we've seen in the World Cup and the U19's, the standard of players is generally poor. I don't care that the senior players earn a fortune. They are shit compared to the likes of Germany, Holland and Spain. The first touch of our players are atrocious and there is a chronic shortage of skilful play. This to me suggests that the players coming through are selected because they are big, strong and can put their foot in. They can get away with it playing with top internationals, but are woefully exposed for the average hoofers they really are when they play for England.

3) With the above point in mind, it's clear that the FA have really not got a clue, nor have they for donkeys years. Money spunked up the wall on foreign managers have achieved nothing in the long run. Also, why are the same old heads still lurking around in the background? Stuart Pearce, Trevor Brooking, Howard Wilkinson. Just what exactly have these people done to benefit the national game?

4) The FA themselves - Best part of a Billion pounds spent on a stadium that wasn't really necessary. Would the money have been better spent on facilities around the country? I really don't know what would be feasible in that respect, but I do believe that Wembley was a vanity project that London just had to have.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal