collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter Break?  (Read 12018 times)

Offline Lucky Eddie

Winter Break?
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2010, 01:52:29 PM »
"I'm tired"
"The pitch isn't pristine enough!"
"I got caught having extra maritals by the missus!"
"I don't like the new football"
"Fabio won't let us drink beer"
"I played shit and the fans booed me, and hurt my feelings. I don't care that they've saved up for a year to come over to watch me half ass my way round the pitch with a constant look of forlorn discomtempt on my Shrek-like Mug, how very dare they!!"
"I want to be captain!"
"No I do"
"Actually I am skipper"
"No you're not John, you're a penis, and no one likes you"
"They all think you're a dick too Steven...fuck off!"

Is the correct answer

Offline Bungle

• http://www.loftys-stores.co.uk
Winter Break?
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2010, 07:22:42 PM »
Surely the answer to the fixture "problem" which is self-imposed is not to shut down every time international teams play.  What is the problem with playing the reserves?  After all the idea of having them is so that they can deputise as and when needed.  Who knows we may get some nice surprises if we give them the chance.

Online Chris Harte

Winter Break?
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2010, 08:10:50 PM »
What Bungle says.

Failing that, I propose a shut-down from December 1st to February 28th (29th in a leap year).

The two are highly unlikely to happen, IMO.

Offline tremzvillain

Winter Break?
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2010, 08:21:14 PM »
I'm sorry but I just don't buy this tiredness crap. If grown men earning 40-50k a week can't run around for an hour & half, twice a week, then they need to consider buying skirts and changing their names to Angelina.

Offline Jimbo

Winter Break?
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2010, 09:44:48 PM »
England's success, or lack of, has got nothing to do with the amount of games players play. It has, however, got a lot to do with the way kids are taught the game from a very early age. The sooner we concentrate on getting kids to play a possession game based on control and technique, rather than brute strength, speed and hoofing, the better. There are a host of other reasons why England are generally crap at football and lots of other sports (and other things in life) as well, but that might be for another time.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
Winter Break?
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2010, 11:09:38 PM »
Maybe 2 weeks in January but It aint going to  make no difference at all.

What good is an english break to Arsenal for the England football team.

Offline nuninho

Winter Break?
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2010, 11:16:50 PM »
How about central contracts such as in cricket.  Don't know who would or how you'd pay for it though...

Offline JUAN PABLO

Winter Break?
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2010, 11:29:37 PM »
Quote from: "Nev"
Would a mid winter break improve Wayne Rooneys appalling attitude?

Talking of Rooney , he is in Barbados tonight ..  Fuck me have I grafted the last 6 mths and I can afford 2 days in Windsor ..

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
Winter Break?
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2010, 12:09:19 AM »
Quote from: "Pete3206"
A no from me. A winter break would give clubs the excuse to piss off to the far east for exhibition matches.

Spot on.
Quote from: "Nev"
Would a mid winter break improve Wayne Rooneys appalling attitude?
Would a mid-winter break galvanise our players to show passion and endeavour?
Would a mid-winter break stop the national manager from continually picking players on reputation and not form?

If the players are tired it's from chasing lucrative commercial deals and making adverts. Something that they will, I'm sure, continue to do if a break is bought in.

Keep the excuses coming, it abdicates the players from any responsibility and the hand wringing will start all over again in four years. It's pathetic.

Isn't it? On the other hand, I spent this afternoon watching a really disciplined and yet still creative Germany team systematically dismantle Argentina and thoroughly enjoyed it. So the longer the England side stays in the doldrums, the better as far as I'm concerned.

All this winter break discussion bollocks could easily be avoided if the PL had reduced its member teams to just 18 within 3 years of its inception as they first promised. And the Chumps League hadn't become a ridiculously long drawn-out pile of poo too.

Offline JUAN PABLO

Winter Break?
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2010, 12:14:52 AM »
Guy

Im just bought fish and chips in Maidenhead tonight .

Just gone back to water Oakley to eat them..

Offline Guy M

• Location: Maidenhead - less than an hour from Zeitgeist on a good day!
Winter Break?
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2010, 01:14:53 AM »
Long way from home, JP. Down for Henley regatta?!

Not stumbled across a decent chippie here yet, so feel free to recommend one if you have!

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

Winter Break?
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2010, 06:00:08 PM »
Please explain what fish and chips in Maidenhead has got to do with"a winter break" I suggest you go on facebook ??

Offline supertom

Winter Break?
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2010, 07:43:11 PM »
Quote from: "WALTERS WARRIORS"
Please explain what fish and chips in Maidenhead has got to do with"a winter break" I suggest you go on facebook ??

Well for starters, Wayne Rooney would spend the majority of his winter break, lounging around eating said takeaway. He wouldn't scrimp on the curry sauce either I'll bet.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Winter Break?
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2010, 08:22:36 PM »
Quote from: "march"
when would this two weeks be ?

Over Xmas when the clubs rake in the money and the fans love the game, don't think so

Just after Xmas and what happens to the Fa Cup

Would clubs be banned from playing lucrative friendlies  as they would seek the sun

what happens if we have a bad winter at the wrong time

gibbo is spot on the problems with the England team are simple, not enough English players being given a chance. Man city have an excellent academy, how many of their players will now get a chance ?

Liverpool's academy is full of foreigners plus Arsenal's

there lies the answer.

I would have it straight after the FA cup 3rd round for two weeks. During that period you miss a round of prem games that could be solved by starting the season a week earlier or finishing it a week later and league cup semi finals which could be played later on in the month.

Not too fussed either way tbh.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

Winter Break?
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2010, 02:03:24 PM »
Quote from: "supertom"
Quote from: "WALTERS WARRIORS"

Well for starters, Wayne Rooney would spend the majority of his winter break, lounging around eating said takeaway. He wouldn't scrimp on the curry sauce either I'll bet.

Fairplay. What was i thinking haaaa ..............

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal