collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Ads
[Today at 04:16:40 PM]

150 celebrations by Dave P
[Today at 04:16:04 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 04:16:00 PM]

NSWE Investment by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 04:13:28 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Toronto Villa
[Today at 04:12:44 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 04:09:00 PM]

New Shirt Sponsor by Villan82
[Today at 04:07:38 PM]

Fog stopped play by Bernie
[Today at 03:42:03 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Winter Break?  (Read 12017 times)

Offline sfx412

Winter Break?
« on: July 02, 2010, 06:17:02 PM »
Seems the thing now since the World Cup failure, and I think its a great idea.

I'm not the only one too,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8782916.stm

Agree with him completely, might set us up nicely.

Offline supertom

Winter Break?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 06:25:52 PM »
I wouldn't go as far as a winter break, but perhaps avoiding fixture pile ups over Christmas is one idea. Early August starts instead of mid-late might help. Do players really need such long summer holidays, even with the world cup or Euro's in the equation.

Frankly I think they're paid enough, and should try doing 40 hr weeks in physical jobs for little money.

I also don't believe for a second it'll help our chances improve dramatically. All it would do is paper over the cracks, the real issue being poor grass roots, and too many foreign players.

Worse teams than England made it past the last 16, and some having worked just as hard in their respective seasons.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Winter Break?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 06:26:16 PM »
Don't like it. They should go back to playing on Christmas Day too.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Winter Break?
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 06:27:10 PM »
Mid-season break = more midweek games during the rest of the season. I don't like midweek games so balls to the idea.

Offline Shrek

• It goes Football, Formula 1, Cricket in that order
  • GM : 04.06.2015
Winter Break?
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 06:50:40 PM »
it wouldnt change a thing regarding england.

The reason we are not producing enough english talent is because of the amount of foreigners in the premier league, which is stopping our young english talents the chance to pregress.

its logical really, if we stop buying players and start giving young home grown players the chance then England will eventually benifit.

Take the south american teams as an example, their top players all come to europe to play, meaning their young talent get the oppurtunity in their homeland.

But as football in this country is controlled by money, we will never entertain the idea of sacrificing abit of quality for the benifit of the country!

Offline march

Winter Break?
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 07:08:11 PM »
when would this two weeks be ?

Over Xmas when the clubs rake in the money and the fans love the game, don't think so

Just after Xmas and what happens to the Fa Cup

Would clubs be banned from playing lucrative friendlies  as they would seek the sun

what happens if we have a bad winter at the wrong time

gibbo is spot on the problems with the England team are simple, not enough English players being given a chance. Man city have an excellent academy, how many of their players will now get a chance ?

Liverpool's academy is full of foreigners plus Arsenal's

there lies the answer.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Winter Break?
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 07:16:05 PM »
I agree but you are all missing a critical point.

What on earth would WE do in winter in particular when we're off work over the Christmas period? I don't like my family and certainly don't want to be stuck with them all festive period!

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Winter Break?
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 07:38:44 PM »
I think a two week break after Christmas would be a good thing. But it's only good if the clubs then don't take their players off on some money making tournament in Dubai. We need to reduce the PL to 18 teams, and how about this? Get rid of the CL group stage and make it the 2 leg knockout again? That will free up some time and save some energy.

The truth is, and the stats bear it out, English players don't play more combined games than their European counterparts. We just play a more physical, less technical game combined with very little rest in between. It's not one thing, but a multitude of factors (too numerous to mention and much of it driven by money, arrogance and stubborness) as to why England are crap.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Winter Break?
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 07:54:04 PM »
I don't care about England's failure and don't see why the Prem clubs should be messed around because the national team is crap.

The Prem clubs need to look after their own interests (as they do most of the time) and leave the national team to sink or swim.

Offline The Man With A Stick

Winter Break?
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 07:55:37 PM »
Football is one of the few things that keep me sane over Christmas and New Year so it's a big fat no from me.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
Winter Break?
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 08:30:33 PM »
This is the one thing the league and fans are in agreement over - they love the Christmas football and itt won't change 'cos England are in freefall.

I myself can take or leave it, particularly because Villa always seem to have rock hard double-headers on Boxing Day/28th Dec.

Offline Quiet Lion

• GM : Feb, 2013
Winter Break?
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 10:54:18 PM »
yep two week break from 1 Jan.

Premiership teams cant enter the league cup, no replays in the FA Cup.

Offline sfx412

Winter Break?
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 10:57:25 PM »
I think if you bothered to read Mon's views you will see he suggests the Xmas fixtures would be retained and the break would come after.

It would then hopefully set us up for an extended run in the period we have recently suffered in I guess.

Still interesting to see so many disagreeing with Mons views here, quite a first

I think it would be a great idea and whilst i agree it would put extra stress on the fixture congestion of more successful clubs the merits are obvious from Mon's views.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
Winter Break?
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 11:12:30 PM »
Players like Carlos Tevez need a winter break.

The poor lads knackered. Have you seen him tearing up and down pitches in the World Cup, covering every blade of grass?

Bless his cotton socks.

A no from me. A winter break would give clubs the excuse to piss off to the far east for exhibition matches.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Winter Break?
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 11:14:19 PM »
Quote from: "cdvillafan"
Don't like it. They should go back to playing on Christmas Day too.

As long as the queen can parachute on to the pitch at half time to give her address.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal