collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 20 years ago today - Brian Tiler killed  (Read 14015 times)

Online Chico Hamilton III

20 years ago today - Brian Tiler killed
« on: July 01, 2010, 02:50:52 PM »
The Guardian (London)

July 2, 1990

Soccer: Bournemouth chief killed

LENGTH: 143 words

BRIAN TILER, managing director of Bournemouth, was killed early yesterday in a car crash 50 miles from Rome in which the Third Division club's manager, Harry Redknapp, was also injured.
Tiler, aged 47, a former Rotherham, Aston Villa and Carlisle defender, and seven other people, including Redknapp, were travelling by minibus from Italy's game against the Republic of Ireland to Naples to watch England play Cameroon.

The vehicle was involved in a collision with a Volkswagen Golf in which three Italians were killed.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 02:52:44 PM »
Funnily enough, seeing Redknapp on the BBC coverage the other day reminded me of this because I thought 'I wonder if Redknapp always associates the World Cup with nearly dying'?

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 08:50:01 PM »
Always remember Brian Tiler visiting our junior school when I was about 8.Thought he was the new headmaster when he walked in our classroom.Great sideboards.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 10:43:44 PM »
That's why I don't particularly like references to 'Arry's condition.  A couple of good Villa fans were also injured.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:46:37 PM »
Quote from: "dave.woodhall"
That's why I don't particularly like references to 'Arry's condition.  A couple of good Villa fans were also injured.

I don't know of any malicious ones, Dave. Perhaps that's for the best.

TBH I didn't know about this at all until a couple of years ago. I was only nine when it happened and obviously it's not something people just bring up. I've my own views on Redknapp but I wouldn't wish this kind of harm on him regardless.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 09:03:04 AM »
Tiler was a player that never really ever won over the Villa fans.
Tommy Docherty's first buy, immediately appointed captain, and scoring on his home debut in front of the Holte, would normally have guaranteed legendary status, but Tiler was a player who divided opinion.
Some said he was a 'sweeper' type central defender, who relied on positional sense rather than any great pace, others viewed him as a mistake-a-game accident waiting to happen, and he received merciless barracking from the Villa Park crowd, despite leading Villa to Wembley as skipper in The League Cup Final against Spurs.
RIP Brian Tiler.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 11:33:18 AM »
Quote from: "curiousorange"
Quote from: "dave.woodhall"

I don't know of any malicious ones, Dave. Perhaps that's for the best.

TBH I didn't know about this at all until a couple of years ago. I was only nine when it happened and obviously it's not something people just bring up. I've my own views on Redknapp but I wouldn't wish this kind of harm on him regardless.

I mean the stuff about his face/appearance. Castigate him for being a  dodgy character, but also remember that his best friend in football was one of us.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 11:50:28 AM »
Quote from: "Oscar Arce"
Tommy Docherty's first buy, immediately appointed captain, and scoring on his home debut in front of the Holte, would normally have guaranteed legendary status, but Tiler was a player who divided opinion.
Some said he was a 'sweeper' type central defender, who relied on positional sense rather than any great pace, others viewed him as a mistake-a-game accident waiting to happen, and he received merciless barracking from the Villa Park crowd, despite leading Villa to Wembley as skipper in The League Cup Final against Spurs.
RIP Brian Tiler.

Yes I remember Brian's debut. Headed goal from a corner in front of the Holte where I was standing. It seemed too good to be true at the time, but as you say he was never really taken to the fan's hearts, although I don't remember the barracking.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 06:31:03 AM »
Boxing Day 1968, the Docs 2nd game in charge and we beat Cardiff 2-0 in front of 41,000 and the new signing Toby Tiler scored of course. I had been watching the club my Dad had introduced me to slowly dying week by week, this was the first time you thought this revolution and change is for real.
I dont remember Brian being unpopular, perhaps at my age then I thought of every player as a hero and beyond criticicm. I do recall there was a horrendous game at Watford the following season when everything went pear shaped, we lost 3-0 and I think Brian somehow contrived to head into his own net from the edge of the area.
I do know I have a battered old autograph book somewhere, I used to stand in the players car park beforehand and chase after them as they arrived in their Ford Capris etc. I think Brian Tilers autograph is in there about 10 times.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 07:31:37 AM »
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/8246917.print/

Twenty years on from crash tragedy, Cherries MD Brian Tiler is remembered
7:00pm Wednesday 30th June 2010

By Kevin Nash

IT’S exactly 20 years today since former AFC Bournemouth managing director Brian Tiler died in a road crash just outside Rome.

He had been in Italy watching the 1990 World Cup, and was returning to his hotel in the early hours in a minibus that was hit by a car speeding on the wrong side of the road.

Three young Italians in the car also died, and ex-Cherries manager, Harry Redknapp, seated alongside Mr Tiler, suffered serious injuries.

“Brian understood me better than anyone,” said Mr Redknapp, before setting off for South Africa, where he is working as a pundit on the 2010 tournament for the BBC.

“I’d bumped into him a few times during our playing careers – he was a few years older than me, and we’d met up when we were on pre-season tours in America and so on.

“But it was only when we started working together at Bournemouth that we became such good friends. He never interfered. I’d identify players, and Brian would go and do the deals.

“He’d take players down the beach, wine and dine them, and that was it – they’d sign up.

“He was great with people, knew what made them tick.

“I used to get very down when we’d lost, but he’d put an arm round my shoulder and say, ‘Come on, let’s go to Sandown races’.”

It was Mr Tiler that pushed for his friend to be appointed manager, in 1983.

“Brian really shook the place up,” said Mr Redknapp.

“He was larger than life, a great guy, and I still think about him, and miss him a lot.

“My wife Sandra regularly meets up with Hazel [Brian’s widow] for coffee.

“As far as the crash goes, I remember stopping to chat with some Ireland fans – we’d been to see them play Italy – and we were talking about our goalkeeper, Gerry Peyton.

“After that, I got back on the bus and fell asleep.

“Brian was sitting next to me.

“The next thing I remember is waking up in hospital.”

After a playing career that included spells at Aston Villa, Carlisle, Wigan and his native Rotherham, Mr Tiler led Zambia to the African Nations Cup finals and also coached in San Deigo and Miami before moving to Bournemouth following a take-over by Anton Johnson.

Michelle Heap, Brian’s daughter, remembers an exciting childhood: “One sports day, for example, my dad turned up, and all the other kids were jumping up and down.

“I had this very unusual upbringing, and I took it a bit for granted, I suppose.”

Mrs Heap is head of pastoral care at Ringwood Junior School, and took a group of pupils to Dean Court last season.

“It was the first time I’d been back since the testimonial match following the crash, and it was very emotional.

“Although there was a new stadium, I closed my eyes and the fans were still chanting the same things – it brought it all back to me.

“My dad was 47 when he died.

“If he were still with us, I can imagine him being just the same, but with a silver beard, a bit like Kenny Rogers.

“My daughter Briony was born the year after he died, and we often talk about my dad.

“Football meant a lot to him, but especially Bournemouth.

“He cared a lot about the place.”

Hazel Tiler, who still lives just outside Ringwood, has donated a trophy in Brian’s memory, awarded annually at Michelle’s school.

“That’s how we remember him,” said Mrs Tiler.

“It seems appropriate.

“There would have been no point putting up a bench, for example, because he just couldn’t sit still.

“Nor did I think it was a good idea to plant a tree somewhere, as he couldn’t tell a beech from a birch.”

Mrs Tiler recalled: “Win or lose, Brian didn’t let it affect him – and he would jolly it out of Harry.

“When he walked into the boardroom, the place would come alive. It was buzzing.

“He had a real sense of fun.

“I remember him going up to London to fetch George Best back to play for Cherries, and when he got to the Barbican, where George was living at the time, there was no sign of him.

“So Brian was driving round with Mary Stavin, ex-Miss World and George’s girlfriend, looking for him.

“They tracked him down to one of his favourite pubs, but George escaped through a toilet window.

“Then Brian caught up with him at another pub, but by this time it was obvious George was in no fit state to play the following day.”

Former Cherries director Brian Willis was also on the bus: “Brian was a good friend, and we had a lot of laughs together.

“I remember one time we dressed up in gorilla suits and went to a department store in Bournemouth town centre.

“Because it was hard to see where we were going, a clothes display came crashing down – the girls in the shop cracked up laughing, but I don’t think their manager saw the funny side!”

Offline SarkGrime

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 10:32:37 AM »
Quote from: "Oscar Arce"
RIP Brian Tiler.
Yes.

Tommy Docherty wanted Tiler at QPR but their chairman Jim Gregory baulked at the fee Rotherham were asking (or else Docherty used this as an excuse to leave QPR because he fancied the Villa job).

A couple of weeks after Docherty’s arrival at Villa Park he made his first signing: Tiler. Tiler scored on his debut. However a feeling that he was undroppable soon became rife, especially when a midfielder would be left out and Tiler moved into his position. Some seemed to feel he was Docherty’s pet. He did indeed come in for some barracking.

To be fair, Docherty’s successor as Villa manager, Vic Crowe, regularly picked Tiler.

Offline Oscar Arce

• Location: Trinity Road Enclosure, just come through the gates for a 6d. transfer from the Witton End grassy bank to buy a Wagon wheel in the Tuck Shop under the stand
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 11:56:18 AM »
Brian was indeed perceived as The Doc's favourite.... and he went to extreme lengths to sign him. I remember one game (I think it was against Carlilse in our relegation season to the Third Division) that one of Tiler's back-passes led to a goal and boos rained down from all around the ground and he had similar treatment in most games when he made one of his too-frequent mistakes.
He was a good organiser but was prone to the odd lapse.
Memory does play tricks over the years but here's an article from 1971 in "Goal" magazine that backs me up !
Hope this link works.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7283/tileringoal71.jpg

Offline Oscar Arce

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 12:02:03 PM »
Also just found a great image of Brian with other Villa legends Pat McMahon and Jimmy Cumbes (plus old Blues full back Ray Martin) playing in the NASL.

http://www.nasljerseys.com/images/Timbers/Timbers%2076%20Home%20Back%20Pat%20McMahon,%20Brian%20Tiler.jpg

Offline SarkGrime

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 01:39:21 PM »
Did we have some kind of link-up with Portland Timbers? Vic Crowe? Phil Woosnam? Eric Woodward? The other day I saw some site or blog with a Timbers team lineup and about 9 of them were ex-Villa. I think there was Willie Anderson, Barry Lynch, Rowan and also Ray Martin (who was a Villa apprentice before moving to B9).

Or does an H&V mod appear at this point and write in red à la VT Off topic?

Offline Oscar Arce

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 01:56:48 PM »
Here is a list of Villa players who appeared in the NASL, started with Woosnam, Crowe, McParland...

NASL VILLA PLAYERS

Charlie Aitken New York Cosmos 76-77
Willie Anderson Portland Timbers 75-82
Tony Betts Portland 75-77 Minnesota Kicks 79
Paul Child Atalnta Chiefs 72-73, San Jose Earthquakes 74-79 Memphis 80, Atalanta 81 All time NASL top 20 goalscorer from Villa reserves
Alex Cropley Toronto Blizzards 81
Vic Crowe Atlanta Chiefs 67-69
Geoff Crudgington Toronto 71
Jim Cumbes Portland 71
Terry Donovan Portland 82
Mike Ferguson LA Aztecs 75
Brian Godfrey Portland 75
Ray Graydon Washington 78
Chico Hamilton Minnesota 78-81, San Jose 82
Mike Hoban Atalanta 71-73, Denver 74, Portland 75-78
Trevor Hockey San Diego 76, LV 77, San Jose 78
Steve Hunt New York Cosmos 77-78, 82