collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

Brian Evans by maidstonevillain
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Jacob Ramsey by AV84
[Today at 12:12:05 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 12:04:59 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 12:04:41 AM]

Matty Cash - Polish international by PeterWithe
[Today at 12:03:00 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:02:34 AM]

Press-ing on triumphantly by dave.woodhall
[April 18, 2024, 11:47:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Where is MON ?  (Read 33241 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Where is MON ?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2010, 09:20:25 AM »
Quote from: "LeeB"
Quote from: "TonyD"
He is in SA managing England.   Him and Fab are in fact the same person.   Look at the similarities in management style or lack of it.  And the love affair with EH.

Maybe they just both see something that you can't because you're too thick.

To be fair, bringing on Emile Heskey yesterday was about the most stupid substitution in the history of football.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Where is MON ?
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2010, 09:31:01 AM »
Quote from: "Risso"
He is in SA managing England.   Him and Fab are in fact the same person.   Look at the similarities in management style or lack of it.  And the love affair with EH.

To be fair, bringing on Emile Heskey yesterday was about the most stupid substitution in the history of football.

Did Defoe hold the ball up front at anytime during the game yesterday?  maybe he did but I can't remember him doing that.  In fact, I can't remember him doing very much at all so I can see a reason why Capello brought on Heskey.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Where is MON ?
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2010, 10:21:43 AM »
Quote from: "Bren_d"

Did Defoe hold the ball up front at anytime during the game yesterday?  maybe he did but I can't remember him doing that.  In fact, I can't remember him doing very much at all so I can see a reason why Capello brought on Heskey.

Defoe did however, very nearly score, which is not something that Emile has ever looked like doing.  If he wanted somebody to hold the ball up while still having some sort of goal threat, he should have stuch Crouch on.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

Where is MON ?
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2010, 10:44:27 AM »

Defoe did however, very nearly score, which is not something that Emile has ever looked like doing.  If he wanted somebody to hold the ball up while still having some sort of goal threat, he should have stuch Crouch on.

My thoughts Exactly. Crouch didn't get a look in. Ridiculous

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Where is MON ?
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2010, 12:09:42 PM »

And the winner of today's H&V Godwin's Law is...

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Where is MON ?
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2010, 01:13:06 PM »
Quote from: "dave.woodhall"

What law's that Dave? That it's ok to think you know more than successful managers, but not local journalists?

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Where is MON ?
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2010, 03:23:29 PM »

When you're 4-1 down it doesn't matter a jot who you bring on. So all this talk about goal threat and indeed holding up the ball is utter bollocks.

It was a stupid substitution mind in that there was no point. However, it was nowhere near the stupidest substitution in history.

That was bring on Shite Phillips.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Where is MON ?
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2010, 03:38:25 PM »

What law's that Dave? That it's ok to think you know more than successful managers, but not local journalists?

That's the one.

Offline Mazrim

Where is MON ?
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2010, 03:54:16 PM »

There he is, in the black tracksuit.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Where is MON ?
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2010, 04:36:44 PM »
Quote from: "Percy"

That's the one.

No, as far as I'm concerned everyone can pass comment freely. But there is a subsection of the law that says while nobody is as experienced in the ways of football management as Martin O'Neill, and can therefore never be allowed to pass comment upon him (although previous managers are strangely exempt from this rule), every other profession is fair game.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Where is MON ?
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2010, 05:51:36 PM »
Every other profession is fair game? In that case, I'll just come on here in future if I need a medical diagnosis, financial advice, accounts looking at, legal guidance etc.

It wouldn't be at all stupid to take seriously the views of amateurs who sometimes imply they know more than the professionals despite being in possession of only a fraction of the relevant information would it?

Never allowed to comment? That's up there with not being allowed to be English.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Where is MON ?
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2010, 06:05:55 PM »
Every other profession is fair game? In that case, I'll just come on here in future if I need a medical diagnosis, financial advice, accounts looking at, legal guidance etc.

It wouldn't be at all stupid to take seriously the views of amateurs who sometimes imply they know more than the professionals despite being in possession of only a fraction of the relevant information would it?

So what if they don't know as much as managers? So what if they've not managed at any level? I think you're both stating the obvious and missing the point, Percy.

I thought football was all about opinions and thinking you knew more than the professionals. Isn't that the whole point of football message boards?

I don't know anything like as much about football as Rafa Benitez, I've never managed a team at any level (although I have sat in the dugouts at Dundee, Dundee United, Hibs and Hearts, but that's another story). He's won the Champions League and is currently managing his third big European Club.

I still think he royally fucked it up at Liverpool towards the end, though, and I'm still going to act like I know more about it than he does.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Where is MON ?
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2010, 06:42:54 PM »
I wonder if those who feel that MON should be beyond criticism because of his lengthy time in the game extend that kind of logic to other areas of interest/  entertainment.

I take it that music is similarly not up for discussion unless you're Quincy Jones.

Can only Martin Scorsese discuss the relative merits or weaknesses of a film?

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
Where is MON ?
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2010, 07:18:58 PM »
Quote from: "KevinGage"
I wonder if those who feel that MON should be beyond criticism because of his lengthy time in the game extend that kind of logic to other areas of interest/  entertainment.

I take it that music is similarly not up for discussion unless you're Quincy Jones.

Can only Martin Scorsese discuss the relative merits or weaknesses of a film?

I've said this before Kevin.
If you play the 'MON is a professional and you are not' card, then you have no right to question George Osborne and David Camerons political competence, Westlife's studio recordings or Carling Black Label Lager's (lack of) taste.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Where is MON ?
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2010, 07:34:18 PM »
Quote from: "pauliewalnuts"

So what if they don't know as much as managers? So what if they've not managed at any level? I think you're both stating the obvious and missing the point, Percy.

I thought football was all about opinions and thinking you knew more than the professionals. Isn't that the whole point of football message boards?

I don't know anything like as much about football as Rafa Benitez, I've never managed a team at any level (although I have sat in the dugouts at Dundee, Dundee United, Hibs and Hearts, but that's another story). He's won the Champions League and is currently managing his third big European Club.

I still think he royally fucked it up at Liverpool towards the end, though, and I'm still going to act like I know more about it than he does.

That's an interesting point. I'm sure some of the people who invoke this H&V iteration of Godwin's Law will freely criticise Rafa and indeed Mourinho or Taggart. It's just one manager who seems to be immune from criticism.

I also don't get this argument that you have to show unswerving support of a manager to rate and back him. Nobody's perfect after all. Certainly not MoN, Mourinho or Ferguson.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal